$4-500 for Progressive House, etc.
Oct 10, 2011 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

imranh101

New Head-Fier
Looking to spend $4-500 on some IEMs for Progressive House and other electronic music. Also maybe some rock, but focusing on the Electronic stuff.
Want a good amount of bass, but of course quality > quanitity!
I'm looking into IE8 and others but I don't know what to buy, I'm a newb. I'll be using this on my iPod, but in the future will be getting a portable amp.
Thanks in advance!
Edit : Spending so much on earbuds, is a FIIO E11 up to par? I dont wanna empty my wallet getting these two, but if another $100 or $200 on a better Amp would make a huge difference, I'll look into it

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 43

Quote:
Looking to spend $4-500 on some IEMs for Progressive House and other electronic music. Also maybe some rock, but focusing on the Electronic stuff.
Want a good amount of bass, but of course quality > quanitity!
I'm looking into IE8 and others but I don't know what to buy, I'm a newb. I'll be using this on my iPod, but in the future will be getting a portable amp.
Thanks in advance!
Edit : Spending so much on earbuds, is a FIIO E11 up to par? I dont wanna empty my wallet getting these two, but if another $100 or $200 on a better Amp would make a huge difference, I'll look into it

your genre falls into my thread I made not too long ago. I ended up purchasing the IE8 with a FiiO E11 Amp aswell. Iv'e loved every moment of both items.

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 43
Cool, thanks for the headsup. I like the FIIO because from what Ive seen its nice and portable. I mean, obviously all portable amps are portable, but some more than others.
And I love Senn, so.... yeah

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 43
Only thing I can say is let the IE8's ease into you atleast for a week or so. Dont judge asap, be patience. I noticed a burn in phase when using them.

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 43

Quote:
for 400 -500 one can get some decent Customs
Have you looked into it?

for universal, check SM3 V2 by Earsonics
this are among my favorite for electronica

I'd prefer universal because then it's easier for my friends to use, etc. plus... for some reason I just dont want customs yet LoL. Thanks, ill check thous out

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 43
Progressive house and electronic? You're practically speaking my language my friend. However, you'll have to be more specific, because given your budget, you can afford just about every high end universal in the market, MANY of which may potentially be just what you're looking for. Hence it'd really help if you can provide some information as to what type of sound signature you're after.

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 43
Uhhh... As I said I'm noob, most I've ever spent on IEM is $40, and my cans im using cost me $100... soo...
Uhhh?? This is really hard.
Distinct, clean highs...
Deep, flavored bass, REALLY powerful but NOT overpowering..
mids that dont get overpowered, but aren't overpowered, just right in the middle...
and the buds themselves able to go decently loud... 
Is that good enough?
I listen to a lot of progressive house from mainstream Deadmau5 to random people you find on the internet who have only one good song.
I really want the synths, basslines to shine...
Wait, synths and basslines = the whole song, LOL!
Thanks again.

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 43
I have exactly the same taste in music as you (Progressive Houseand Trance) , except my budget is sub $250 and from my limited frequenting of this forum, I can tell you IE8s will be highly recommended, so will MTPCs. I'm personally looking at the GR07 since I got over that bass impact "phase" :). Good hunting.

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #10 of 43

Quote:
Uhhh... As I said I'm noob, most I've ever spent on IEM is $40, and my cans im using cost me $100... soo...
Distinct, clean highs...
mids that dont get overpowered, but aren't overpowered, just right in the middle...
Is that good enough?
I listen to a lot of progressive house from mainstream Deadmau5 to random people you find on the internet who have only one good song.
Thanks again.

Oh and if you want the basslines to "shine", I'm guessing you'd be better off with IEM's with a solid mid-bass hump, IE8s fall squarely into that category and there are others as well like Westone3s but I couldn't tell you anymore since I'm a noob like you :)

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #11 of 43

Quote:
I have exactly the same taste in music as you (Progressive Houseand Trance) , except my budget is sub $250 and from my limited frequenting of this forum, I can tell you IE8s will be highly recommended, so will MTPCs. I'm personally looking at the GR07 since I got over that bass impact "phase" :). Good hunting.

To be honest, I'm over the bass impact phase, I got these cans that literally vibrate your skull with bass, and thought they were awesome. Then got some UE200Vi's and the bass was much less loud, but the bass range was SOOO much more. I'm just adding that for $4-500 I feel like my bass might as well be thick. I don't want it to overpower like the cans I've got lol

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #12 of 43
Quote:
Distinct, clean highs...
Is that good enough?
Thanks again.

To be honest, I'm over the bass impact phase, I got these cans that literally vibrate your skull with bass, and thought they were awesome. Then got some UE200Vi's and the bass was much less loud, but the bass range was SOOO much more. I'm just adding that for $4-500 I feel like my bass might as well be thick. I don't want it to overpower like the cans I've got lol

From my understanding, you'd like really powerful bass, yet not overpowering. personally speaking, I'm not sure whether or not there's a fine line between the two, but it seems to me that you're after a balanced signature that can still manage to pack a punch in terms of it's lows. Based upon the ones I've owned, I'd recommend the following (in no particular order), especially for said genre: TF10, EX1000, MTPC, GR07, Miles Davis Tribute or the newer Trumpets, Atrio M5, FX700, EX600, IE7/IE8, and Klipsch X10. An overwhelming list, I know. But I too was in your shoes not too long ago my friend, and I'd personally recommend reading over the multi-review threads linked in my signatures and determining which one (or more) appeal to you most. That'll definitely help narrow down your choices. Else, feel free to PM me if ever need be. 
smile.gif

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #14 of 43
You should consider either the Monster MDT or Coppers. Got the MDT's today and I'm loving the sound. Amazing bass extension with great impact, you can actually feel the air being moved by the drivers. The mids are really lush. They are up there with the highly rated mids of the SE535's imo. The highs are effortless with no harshness what-so-ever, making them one the most non-fatiguing IEM's I've tried.

The Coppers are said to have slightly faster bass response, but not as much quantity, with harsher highs and less meaty mids.

I would take the MDT's over the iE8's any day. They just have better SQ overall imo and more refined. The expansive soundstage of the iE8's seem to remove the intimacy with the music, the MDT's are better in this regard IMO.

A plus for the iE8's is the replaceable cable. The cable that they come with is also better than the Monsters', but if you are looking for sound quality you cannot go wrong with the MDT's.

Hope this helps.

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #15 of 43
I think I have a fair bit of house/techno (around 1000 or so songs.) My recommendation would be the EX1000. It's fast (even compared to BA IEM's), it's bass is incredibly well textured and extends very low, and the highs are fantastic. The only gripe that I could see someone taking from the EX1000 would be it doesn't have an enormous quantity of bass. The quality and extension is excellent, but the quantity is lacking [for a basshead]. However, I don't find the bass lacking at all.

And if you ever wanted more bass from the EX1000, there is always the ZO. The ZO V2 will be coming out soon, so I would hold off on getting one, if you do go with the EX1000, until the V2 is released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back