3G 64GB Touch - sound quality ?
Jul 27, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #17 of 24
im like 99% sure that anything that came out after ipod touch 2g uses a wolfson chipset for all audio.

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #18 of 24

Quote:
im like 99% sure that anything that came out after ipod touch 2g uses a wolfson chipset for all audio.

The Touch 4G uses a Cirrus Logic chip, and sounds excellent.

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #19 of 24
I'm considering the 4g touch 64 gig because so far ive seen that an ipod properly taken care of lasts for years on end. My only concerns are lack of FLAC support and having to use itunes for everything. I was going to go with the J3 but looking at the price comparison between J3 and itouch 16gb, they cost about the same yet the itouch 4g has a buttload of more features. i like the J3 but looking at the youtube videos, the interface seems really really laggy.

I have the same concern about the S:Flo 2. I know the storage works the way I want it to (microSD card gets treated as one solid chunk of storage added to the internal, not as a seperate unit from the internal) but looking at the guy using it in the video it seems like the interface lags a whole lot. I love the chipset features of it though...

I'm just extremely torn as to which way to go. Itouch vs cowon j3 vs s:flo 2. Theres probably even others that sound amazing. If I'm getting an audio/video player I feel like it should do that and only that, but if it needs to add extra selling point features, it should do those extremely well too. not like the J3 with its half assed flash player and kinda-sorta text document viewer.

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #20 of 24
. You can play FLAC on an iPod touch using Flacplayer app, you don't have to use iTunes, you can use media monkey or something like it, also equalizer app allows you to shape your music.

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #21 of 24
My 3rd-gen Touch sounds great unamped straight from the headphone-out, even better amped via a lineout connector, and even better using an HRT iStreamer (bypassing the Touch's internal DAC & output stage).

I originally intended to use FLAC files & FLACplayer exclusively, and not utlilize iTunes to manage my music. However, despite sounding great, in practice I have found FLACplayer's interface to be far to utilitarian to effectively manage a large size music library. Therefore, I have gone back to Apple Lossless files & iTunes for the majority of my library, and relegating FLACplayer for hi-res files (downloaded or ripped). It's nice to have the option though.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #22 of 24
I did another test with the 2nd gen touch vs the 3rd gen touch.  Via headphone out and via lod the 2nd gen touch was my favorite.  In fact, several members at the Westone meet agreed.  Supposedly they use the same dac chip, but reports elsewhere that the headphone out of the 2nd gen touch was superior seems to be spot on.  I sold the 3rd gen touch within weeks and have since purchased a 32gb 2nd gen touch to replace my 8gb model.

They sound pretty much identical but I have not spent any time seriously comparing the 8 vs 32gb.  Perhaps I will before I sell the 8gb model.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
I'm considering the 4g touch 64 gig because so far ive seen that an ipod properly taken care of lasts for years on end. My only concerns are lack of FLAC support and having to use itunes for everything. I was going to go with the J3 but looking at the price comparison between J3 and itouch 16gb, they cost about the same yet the itouch 4g has a buttload of more features. i like the J3 but looking at the youtube videos, the interface seems really really laggy.

I have the same concern about the S:Flo 2. I know the storage works the way I want it to (microSD card gets treated as one solid chunk of storage added to the internal, not as a seperate unit from the internal) but looking at the guy using it in the video it seems like the interface lags a whole lot. I love the chipset features of it though...

I'm just extremely torn as to which way to go. Itouch vs cowon j3 vs s:flo 2. Theres probably even others that sound amazing. If I'm getting an audio/video player I feel like it should do that and only that, but if it needs to add extra selling point features, it should do those extremely well too. not like the J3 with its half assed flash player and kinda-sorta text document viewer.

I've got a Touch 4G.  It sounds considerably better than the latest-generation Classic.  I use it on its own when running around, with an amp when on the train and the like - a Touch/TTVJ Slim bundle isn't much bigger than my 160gb Classic, and sounds great - and with a Solo when traveling and around the house.  Home sharing means that I can listen to my entire iTunes library at home.  A MOG subscription lets me download and keep 320kbps files, which is great for trying out new music.  I convert FLAC files to Apple Lossless with DBpoweramp and bring them into iTunes, so that's not a problem.  There are great internet radio apps and you can stream from Archive and the like.  Fantastic little device.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #24 of 24
I bought the 64gb last week and downloaded the EQu and Equalizer applications and I can tell you that with these, this player is ahead of every other DAP I have used so far in terms of SQ.

Players I've used include Creative's earliest models in 1998 onwards, Sony NWZ-A828, Bang &Olufsen Beo 2 and Beo 6, iPod Classic 80gb, iPod Classic 160gb, Cowon D2, Cowon J3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back