3G 64GB Touch - sound quality ?
May 1, 2011 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a 3G Touch, but its the 8GB model - very ordinary. I seem to recall that the 32 and 64GB models got the iPhone DAC and were much better - anyone ? It looks like I may have lost my 4G Nano and I want that same sound quality in a Touch - the catch is that I can get the 3G for a sensational price but would have to pay retail for the current 64GB model.

Thanks,

estreeter

May 1, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 24
As I understand, the Touch 3G 8GB is not a "true" 3G, but just a repacked 2G.

The "real" Touch 3G releases contains only the 32GB and 64GB versions and are from what I have read considered by many to be better or different sounding than any of the 2G's or 1G's.
I have a 3G 64GB and I'm quite satisfied with this one.

May 1, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 24
Thanks JK - I am 99% sure that you are correct, but I dont want to spend money and find out that it sounds anything like the 8GB :)

May 2, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 24

Quote:
I preferred the SQ from my 2G 32 gig Touch vs my Iphone 4 :frowning2:

bass was better defined by quite a distance

Interesting! I've never had the chance to hear a 2G Touch with my own files on it.....but my Touch 4G is quite good.

May 2, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 24
Comparing the 2G touch vs 4G touch, I easily preferred the latter. 2G had more bass and warmth but the 4G just sounded cleaner all-round. 

May 3, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 24
Even from the line-out into my warmest portable amp, my 2G Touch cant compete with the 6G Nano, and I believe the latter inherited its sound processing from the iPhone. I guess we all hear differently though - nothing stopping me listening to music on the Nano while playing games etc on the Touch - happy times.

May 7, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
As I understand, the Touch 3G 8GB is not a "true" 3G, but just a repacked 2G.

The "real" Touch 3G releases contains only the 32GB and 64GB versions and are from what I have read considered by many to be better or different sounding than any of the 2G's or 1G's.
I have a 3G 64GB and I'm quite satisfied with this one.

I love my 3G 64GB Touch. I compared it side by side (you'll have to search for my thread) with the Cowon D2+. I returned the D2+. While I never tried the 8GB or 16GB models, my 64GB is sweet and I'm happy. And with my new Grado 325's, the sound is excellent.

May 8, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 24

Quote:

I love my 3G 64GB Touch. I compared it side by side (you'll have to search for my thread) with the Cowon D2+. I returned the D2+. While I never tried the 8GB or 16GB models, my 64GB is sweet and I'm happy. And with my new Grado 325's, the sound is excellent.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoy your 3G as well. Just to briefly adress the OP's original question. The major upgrade from 1G/2G vs. 3G was the improvement of giving it a much faster processor, if they did changed the DAC I don't know, it's a secret!  But apparently and to me quite understandable, the different generations of the Touch/iphone can sound wise by individuals be perceived very differently for better or worse.
The 6G Nano could or should be a more dedicated music player and maybe their best performer in this area. So I will pick one up very soon and see how sounds vs.my 3G.  

May 8, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiterknight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The 6G Nano could or should be a more dedicated music player and maybe their best performer in this area. So I will pick one up and see how sounds vs.my 3G.  

Excellent - I doubt that you will regret it, and I will be interested to hear your feedback.

May 10, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #12 of 24
FWIW Yesterday on a long train ride, my Classic 120GB ran out of juice and I took it offline to recharge and swapped in my iPhone 3GS via LOD to my RSA Hornet/AKG 702 setup.  It was significantly better sounding and I was shocked.  The difference was immediately noticeable with the same files played on both devices.  Until then I had assumed that all iPod/iPhones would sound pretty much the same.  Not by a long shot.  The Classic sounded thin and weedy by comparison.

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:

Excellent - I doubt that you will regret it, and I will be interested to hear your feedback.

Its funny that we all hear things differently.  I just got done comparing my Touch 2nd gen to the Nano 6th gen.  The Nano put the midrange right in my head with Westone UMX-3s and seemed like it was eqed in the mids to make things close, hence very little depth.  Very smooth sounding with a bit of warmth in the lows.  The touch sounded like it had better transient response, better overtones,  and more depth although things were a little more distant (preferred).  Ambient cues were much more noticeable with instruments breathing a bit better on the Touch.  

I can see how either could be chosen for "best" sound.  I prefer the Touch and am selling the brand new Nano.  I am really sorry I sold my Nano 4th gen to get it and may have to steal my kids 4th gen for more comparisons.

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
Its funny that we all hear things differently.  I just got done comparing my Touch 2nd gen to the Nano 6th gen.  The Nano put the midrange right in my head with Westone UMX-3s and seemed like it was eqed in the mids to make things close, hence very little depth.  Very smooth sounding with a bit of warmth in the lows.  The touch sounded like it had better transient response, better overtones,  and more depth although things were a little more distant (preferred).  Ambient cues were much more noticeable with instruments breathing a bit better on the Touch.  

I can see how either could be chosen for "best" sound.  I prefer the Touch and am selling the brand new Nano.  I am really sorry I sold my Nano 4th gen to get it and may have to steal my kids 4th gen for more comparisons.

I'll have you try out my 5G Nano at the Westone meet too.  It was less sibilant or grainy than my old 4G was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back