$399 Apple iPod Touch 6G with 128GB storage and A8 chip
Oct 13, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #166 of 223
My 128 GB unit performs on par with my 128 GB S6. Can't tell any difference although I have not put a significant effort into teasing out any minutia. I did get some noise of concern one day but the unit was jammed between a cordless phone base and Woo amp. Simply moving it a few inches away solved the issue. Great in daily use but you can defeat whatever shielding it has. With the quality of screen, extra ram, and ease of use the iPod Touch is now a respectable media consumption device.

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #170 of 223
I like iPods, I own an older iPod Touch 64GB myself.  But this seems ridiculously overpriced.

I have read that it is their highest mark up item. More so in the higher capacity version. The new models are a very different performance level than the older versions but I don't see how one could disagree with you. Typical of a luxury good that no one really needs.

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #171 of 223
I have read that it is their highest mark up item. More so in the higher capacity version. The new models are a very different performance level than the older versions but I don't see how one could disagree with you. Typical of a luxury good that no one really needs.

EDIT: Apple should have continued making the iPod Classic.  It filled the void for people needing high capacity.  For what the iPod Touch offers, wouldn't most people already have the iPhone?

Oct 14, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #172 of 223
EDIT: Apple should have continued making the iPod Classic.  It filled the void for people needing high capacity.  For what the iPod Touch offers, wouldn't most people already have the iPhone?

Many people use it instead of a phone to keep their hardware costs down and avoid cell phone provider fees by using free wi-fi. I bought mine to get the storage capacity in a compact device. My cell phone was old but I was not impressed by the available iPhones or mini iPads. The new iPod has both good storage and excellent wi-fi with ac. The iPhone S6 came out so I upgraded my phone. The iPod is still very useful supplementing the phone. Just depends on how and how much you use your gear.

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #173 of 223
Many people use it instead of a phone to keep their hardware costs down and avoid cell phone provider fees by using free wi-fi. I bought mine to get the storage capacity in a compact device. My cell phone was old but I was not impressed by the available iPhones or mini iPads. The new iPod has both good storage and excellent wi-fi with ac. The iPhone S6 came out so I upgraded my phone. The iPod is still very useful supplementing the phone. Just depends on how and how much you use your gear.

The thing that irritates me about Apple stuff, and this is true of the Samsung Galaxy phones now; is that they took away the possibility for expandable storage.  You're also locked in to their ecosystem with the iPods.

Oct 15, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #174 of 223
Their ecosystem is a brilliant strategy. Once you are in too deep look out. Presently into it with them over an iPhone 6S purchase. Customer service and enjoyment of the product not - at least for the time being.

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #176 of 223
With the iPhone at least, you can get rid of this stuff. Go to settings, then Music and then disable "Show Apple Music". Now all I see is My Music, Playlists, Radio and Connect at the bottom the the Music app.

Quote:
I'm still on the fence whether to buy the new touch. I don't like the new user interface of iTunes with icons like "for you", "@connect" etc. I feel it just makes it lazier and more unresponsive.
Seriously, "for you"??? I don't like someone or something recommending me what to love:monkey:
This is what I get when I start the player

Look at all the bloat ware at the bottom of this screen

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #177 of 223
Anyone happen to know if the new iPod will work with a remote cable? 

Hoping to use something like the following in my car, so that I can pause without looking at the device:
http://www.amazon.com/Jabees-AUC101-Replacement-Headphone-Headphones/dp/B010JI2X0C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1449766708&sr=8-3&keywords=iPhone+remote+cable

May 7, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #178 of 223
Hi,

This may well have been covered in here already and I apologise if it has as it's a pretty hefty thread now so I've read everything in it.

My iPod 5.5 has just given up the ghost after many years of use and it seems to be beyond repair. As all my music has been on iTunes for many years I'm seriously  considering getting a 128GB iPod Touch. 

I was using a FiiO E12-Mont Blanc and BeoPlay H6 combination via line-out and have been more than happy with the end results. The one obvious downside for me with this is the lack of line-out support, is this still an issue with Apple devices or am I not going to have any issues, in relation to audio quality, if I use a standard FiiO L17 type cable?

If it was an issue, what I'd considered doing was perhaps buying a FiiO E18-Kunlun, which I have available to me from a friend, via a Lightning to USB Micro cable. Would this work as it should?

Would there be a noticeable difference between these two setups?

Thanks.

EDIT:
To add, i know that it's possible to use a Lightning to USB Micro cable but I'm interested in hearing exactly what a difference it would make if I did what I was thinking about doing. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

May 7, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #179 of 223
I just discovered this thread, and got me to thinking -- is there any reason why I wouldn't just get the 128GB iPod as my DAP?

About me/music:
  1. All my electronics are already Apple (Macbook Air at home, Macbook Air at work, iPhone 5s for phone)
  2. My music library is already on iTunes
  3. The HDTracks I buy are ALAC
  4. When I play hi-res on my iPhone I do so via Onkyo HF Player (and can just buy same app for the new iPod)

I had been thinking about getting a standalone DAP for evening walks with the dogs. Right now it's been iPhone 5s + amp/dac (started with HA-2, moved onto Dragonfly Red), and my curiosity about a DAP was (1) increasing my storage capacity, (2) improved sound quality and (3) avoiding using my phone battery -- just having a dedicated music player for portable.

But 128GB would be plenty for my uses. And $399 is right in line w/ what I was thinking about spending --- I was otherwise looking at the Cowon Plenue D or the upcoming Acoustic Research M20. Would the iPod + external DAP/AMP beat those in regards to sound quality? Or at least equal them?

If yes, it'd be a no brainer for me to just stick with Apple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back