$350 amp for HD600
Apr 21, 2009 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

taso89

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for something warm, transparent, with no signs of sibilance. I would prefer SS over tubes but I guess we will see.

I used to have the Little Dot I+ and was unimpressed. My source would be the Asus Essence STX. Just looking to see if you guys can come up with anything better suited
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 21
Have you considered the Gilmore Lite? It is rather neutral, but it does wonders to show the HD 600 for what it is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 21
X2 for the Gilmore Lite. It should meet everything you're looking for. You might be able to turn up a used Eddie Current EC/SS for your price range, too.

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 21
I always liked the Headamp products build and design and I used to own a Lite and the GS-1 x 2. But, over time I always find these amps to be to sterile and slightly hot in the upper midrange = ruthlessly revealing of poor source material and sibilance. Consequently, the Gilmores wear on me over time and I end up selling them. The Gilmores are transparent .... but your requirement for warm will not be met with the Gilmores.

I am much happier using the Millet hybrids or one of the other hybrids like the SOHA 2 or SOHA/ JISBOS with the Senns. If you are up for a compromise the hybrids really deliver. The new Millet Mini-Max, in particular, mates very well with the Senns .... and is the one I would recommend as there is even a commercial version available from Whiplash Audio.

These hybrid amps are exceptionally GOOD sounding and very refined despite being so inexpensive. The tubes are easy to find and also inexpensive. If you check out the for sale forum you can sometimes pick a Millet hybrid up for $200-250 .... although the word is getting around and the prices seem to be creeping up some. If you ever get some low impedance headphones the hybrids may actually sound even better.
tongue_smile.gif

I own several hybrids and I have been experimenting with these amps for months. I continue to be amazed by their value. Moreover, I remain VERY impressed by their sound quality .... these amps are keepers.
beerchug.gif

IMG_0517.jpg

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking for something warm, transparent, with no signs of sibilance. I would prefer SS over tubes but I guess we will see.

I used to have the Little Dot I+ and was unimpressed. My source would be the Asus Essence STX. Just looking to see if you guys can come up with anything better suited
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd get the Compass if I were to get yourself a solid source to replace the STX while at it. Also FYI the Gilmore Lite is $399.

I personally find reviews for the Millet MiniMax very tempting! It's on my list of amps to look at!

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by deaconblues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another good one to look out for is the M3. Be quick to snap that up if one should show up for sale.

Can't agree more
tongue_smile.gif

The M3 simply sounds stunning w/ my HD600.
3462920815_cbe1a7be24_d.jpg

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 21
A Purity Audio KICAS Caliente is a gorgeous-sounding amp with the HD600.
Transparent? - check.
Warmth? - check.
No hint of sibilance? - check.
SS? - check.

I owned a M^3 before I owned a Caliente, but I ended up selling it when I realized that it was portraying voices in the upper register as too thin, to my ear (with beautiful detail and lovely highs, BTW) and just was not giving the sound sufficient foundational support in the lower register - again, to my ear. This was especially apparent to me with acoustic arrangements. All of those same CD's and tracks are portrayed as ear-satisfyingly full-spectrum sounds. The M^3, with the HD600, provides a lot to enjoy. To my ear, the Caliente provides substantially more with the HD600.

Apr 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 21
There is also the Rega Ear. I have one. The gain is really high and made for the Senns or Cans with high impendance. It retails for around 300 bucks or so.

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #12 of 21
I like my Audio-gd C2C with HD-600s. It has just enough smoothness that even with colderr sources, such as the Lavry DA-10 or Apogee Duet I could easily enjoy listening, yet still is very transparent.

I agree though with what Skylab said in his review: "...it’s a VERY good time to be into headphone audio. There are just a LOT of great, affordable headphone amps out there."

Apr 22, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is also the Rega Ear. I have one. The gain is really high and made for the Senns or Cans with high impendance. It retails for around 300 bucks or so.

Different strokes and all that but the Rega Ear is one of the worst amps I ever hooked my Senns up to. YMMV!

I really like the Woo 3 tube amp with my 650's. $350 is in the realm of used price for this amp. Maybe $400 but who knows in this economy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back