32GB touch and 16GB iphone
Feb 6, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip> But I heard the sound isn't as good as the 5.5/Classics so I'm going for an 80gb Classic next.

The (older) touch has the same sound chip as the 5.5G.

touch
17-1.jpg

5.5G
IMG_5689.jpg

Feb 6, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that Apple has suddenly released these capacity bumps, cant help but think about the Sept/Oct announcements this year. Would the second generation touch be bumped to 64gb? If so, where would the Classics go further to? More capacity? Usual 160gb with hardware changes?

I'm also quite surpised they didnt bump the Nano capacity today. Its still stuck in 8gb
biggrin.gif

I couldn't imagine them doubling it again. 160GB iPod for $250 would be awesome, I would love that. But 320GB iPod would be outrageous, but perfect for people who have music in FLAC and Apple Lossless. 64GB touch, they would totally overprice that...

Feb 6, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zayeem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should vote Obama then...

heh heh... good ol' david letterman.

Feb 7, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

I couldn't imagine them doubling it again. 160GB iPod for $250 would be awesome, I would love that. But 320GB iPod would be outrageous, but perfect for people who have music in FLAC and Apple Lossless. 64GB touch, they would totally overprice that...

320GB does sound outrageous but there are a handful of Head-Fi'ers with music collections bigger than that
eek.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

I hear ya. Apple's action usually has a market reason behind it. I am not sure why they did the sudden bump yesterday though. Could this be due to the upcoming 3GSM and the mobiles that will challenge the iPhone? Could be something else. If they bumped the iPhone and not the touch, the phone would overshadow the touch which is good news that they'll put the touch as their flagship in the coming months ahead.

As for market reasoning, I surely see Jobs going on and on about 'SSD is the future (ie MBAir)' and dishing out a 64gb (or at least 48gb) touch as their next generation. That leaves the question on what market reason would be for the Classics. Does anyone know the figures how the 160gb Classic is doing compared to the 16gb touch since their release? If the 160gb is doing well, the 320gb (no matter how outrageous the figure is and how teens would fill this up), is not a long stretch if it's what the market wants. On second thought, Apple is still ahead with the 160gb HD dap and there seems to be no competition yet (I dont see the Archos 604/605 doing well in comparison) so they might just resume 160gb and do some hardware changes that will make the iPod market itch to upgrade. I wonder what hardware changes though. Or perhaps no changes and just price drops plus dishing out different colors?
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'm getting a 32gb touch this or next week primarily for video playback on the go. PMPs are getting tiresome as a portable in the pocket.

Feb 7, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #38 of 47
I just read an Apple Insider blurb that the ATT CEO stated the iPhone V2 could be here by late May/early June. I guess my recently mangled 8GB will have to stay in my pocket a few more months.

As far as sound quality, I have never had a complaint about the iPod function in my iPhone. Granted, I don't have >$1000 UE customs, but I have decent iems. I'm also a recovering high end audiophile - so I really do know good sound. The iPhone, to me, sounds as good as any previous generation iPod with high bit rate files (all my music is 192 or higher).

Now, as far as capacity, I want as big as I can get. In the past, I've used my iPods for portable file storage as well as music. Specifically, I love the iPod camera adapter. I can load my RAW files from the DSLR in the field, and keep my card sizes and numbers reasonable. With a 32GB iPhone with file management capabilities and the adapter compatibility (c'mon SDK!!!), I could do an entire 3 or 4 day shoot, transfer files to my iPhone, and then email them to the people who need them with ONE DEVICE. OMG, that just sounds too good to be true. I mean, to me, we're talking about Star Trek device excited!!!

Feb 7, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #39 of 47
Having cell service so the internet would be available all the time would be nice. I have a company provided Blackberry but the Ipod Touch browsing experiencing is so much better. Still, I have no plans to get rid of my Touch.

Feb 7, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #40 of 47
I almost went with the archos 605 over the iPhone but people were saying that intact the iPhones screen was better

I'm glad I went with the iPhone to say the least!

I found that you have to pay for all the extras with the archos, whereas there are all sorts of free extras with the iPhone. Better audio and it'd win hands down

Feb 7, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

I found that you have to pay for all the extras with the archos, whereas there are all sorts of free extras with the iPhone. Better audio and it'd win hands down

So with the iPhone you must pay for the extras whether you want them or not whereas with the Archos you pay only for what you want. Yeah, that's terrible.

And besides, only the total cost matters. You can get a 160gb Archos 605 and add all the extras and still come out less than a 32gb Touch or iPhone. And the both the screen and SQ is better on the Archos, IMO.

Feb 7, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So with the iPhone you must pay for the extras whether you want them or not whereas with the Archos you pay only for what you want. Yeah, that's terrible.

And besides, only the total cost matters. You can get a 160gb Archos 605 and add all the extras and still come out less than a 32gb Touch or iPhone. And the both the screen and SQ is better on the Archos, IMO.

So why post about it in an iPhone thread?

There are clearly other tangible benefits to the iphone, flash memory being one of them.

Feb 7, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #43 of 47
At the beginning I said more memory was needed in the Touch...

Now I am thinking 16gb is probably the sweet spot (given the £330 tag for 32gb
eek.gif
eek.gif
)... and I am thinking more of the Touch's PDA-like qualities... the Nano getting a capacity bump would be much more desirable

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #44 of 47
32 gig iphone + 3G = steve-o getting my hard-earned money

Till then, my 5.5 80 gigger is erving me VERY well

Feb 7, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the beginning I said more memory was needed in the Touch...

Now I am thinking 16gb is probably the sweet spot (given the £330 tag for 32gb
eek.gif
eek.gif
)... and I am thinking more of the Touch's PDA-like qualities... the Nano getting a capacity bump would be much more desirable

I think you are right, the 32G doesn't bring in new tech or features, just more memory, and that is easily overcome by removing video files that I've watched by just unticking a box in itunes when syncing so the savings there is easily made. Unlike music, it's not as easy to re-watch the same thing over and over again on months on end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back