32GB touch and 16GB iphone
Feb 5, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #16 of 47
I have an 8 GB Touch along with a 30 GB Ipod Video and a few other older Ipods. My Touch gets constant use even with the lower capacity. It's a great web browser. I could stand more room for movies but I have 1000 songs and a few video podcasts and still have a gig left over. I bet the 16 GB's show up at a bargain used now.

Feb 6, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #17 of 47
I'm still going to wait to get an iPhone until the second generation comes out...I'm guessing this fall.
I still don't see the point of the touch. A device like that without wireless capability is an iPhone-gelding. It's cool, but it just doesn't look at you the same way.

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still going to wait to get an iPhone until the second generation comes out...I'm guessing this fall.
I still don't see the point of the touch. A device like that without wireless capability is an iPhone-gelding. It's cool, but it just doesn't look at you the same way.

Huh? It does have wireless capabilities.

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #19 of 47
I was planning to wait a few months before deciding on the larger cap iPhone (I have an 8GB), but I dropped it about 8 feet today onto pavement and it hit the corner where the sound switch and volume rocker are. I had to take a box cutter and trim away some of the metal around the rocker to un-stick it (it got stuck in the volume up position) and so the switch would work. I also had to take a small hammer to bend the metal back cover back into something resembling the original shape. Amazingly, it didn't crack the glass or damage the chrome bezel. The volume rocker will no longer go "up" so I have to turn up the volume in "settings". I'm calling Apple tomorrow for a repair estimate, and if it's over $200, I'll be buying a new one. Odd that it happened today...

No, really...

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, it has WiFi. Wireless was meant in the context of cellular.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Then I don't understand what he's trying to say.
iPod Touch is one of the most versatile portable media players that has the capability to have all applications of the iPhone but the calling ability and the camera.
For a little lower price tag, you get more disc space and a sleeker form factor.
It also does not require the 2-year $60/month contract to be used...

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Then I don't understand what he's trying to say.
iPod Touch is one of the most versatile portable media players that has the capability to have all applications of the iPhone but the calling ability and the camera.
For a little lower price tag, you get more disc space and a sleeker form factor.
It also does not require the 2-year $60/month contract to be used...

Well, the thing is, in a lot (I'd say most) situations where you'll be able to access a wi-fi network, you'll have access to a computer that will be much better for internet usage. By having cellular access, and subsequently the data line access on those networks anywhere where you can get coverage, it allows you to access the internet well in places you normally would not be able to. I do agree with this to an extent, but at the same time, cellular networks are not all encompassing either, and wi-fi will offer a much better quality of access, so it is give and take. Really, even the calling/talking capability isn't that great should a good VoIP app be available for the Touch.

Of course, the future will bring better wireless technology, and a gadget similar to the iPhone/Touch will really shine, but for now, it is a tradeoff. I think I'd go with the touch, myself, but I don't even have a regular cell phone and the added price of the data plan would drive the overall cost of ownership beyond what I find feasible (to be truthful I think they're higher than I'd be willing to pay for its capabilities at the moment, I'd have to say 16GB at $300 is where I'd start to really get interested enough to seriously consider one).

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the thing is, in a lot (I'd say most) situations where you'll be able to access a wi-fi network, you'll have access to a computer that will be much better for internet usage.

I thought the same until I got my touch. Now it's a Godsend, as exemplified in the weekend trip I just got back from. Having a device that can connect to a wireless network and access the internet on you at all times is one of the most handy things I've encountered. I was able to check movie ticket listings in my hotel room, catch up on e-mail and forum posts at a mom-and-pop restaurant, and jump on quickly in various stores. You'd be surprised at how common it is to find a wireless access point, and it's fairly common to see two or more choices as they bleed over each other. And even if I had a laptop at those locations, the simplicity and speed of simply taking the device out of my pocket, connect in seconds, and doing a quick e-mail check at breakfast is tremendously more feasible with such a device.

That said, I purchased the 8GB version, and I haven't regretted it once. By treating the touch as more of a PDA and internet device with minor media capabilities, I won't feel the need to upgrade in the next incarnation, and can instead focus the money saved on a more dedicated DAP. If I'm going to have a serious media device, I'll need a minimum of 80GB, and it darn well better sound better than the touch. The extra money spent on the storage space seems somewhat foolish when there are better devices to be had for music (though the touch's video is quite excellent) with that extra $200.

Just my thoughts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #24 of 47
There's people who say it's too expensive but there's enough people who would kill to have a "full" 32gb on such a device. I think the $100 price cut will come much later like maybe December.

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #25 of 47
the touch with only wifi would be pretty useless for me, I need the iPhones mobile data transfer to be able to use it, as long as your not tied to a contract its a good device, not for sq but I'm considering something else for that!

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #26 of 47
I got the all famous email from Apple and saw 32 GB and Touch in the same sentence, and just kind of exclaimed "Oh My God!", and then I saw the price...they could've at least dropped the price $50 for each one, then I might thinking about making a saving for it. But I heard the sound isn't as good as the 5.5/Classics so I'm going for an 80gb Classic next.

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Exactly what Vinman said. I'm talking about the cellular radio that's missing in the touch.

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #28 of 47
Now that Apple has suddenly released these capacity bumps, cant help but think about the Sept/Oct announcements this year. Would the second generation touch be bumped to 64gb? If so, where would the Classics go further to? More capacity? Usual 160gb with hardware changes?

I'm also quite surpised they didnt bump the Nano capacity today. Its still stuck in 8gb
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that Apple has suddenly released these capacity bumps, cant help but think about the Sept/Oct announcements this year. Would the second generation touch be bumped to 64gb? If so, where would the Classics go further to? More capacity? Usual 160gb with hardware changes?

I'm also quite surpised they didnt bump the Nano capacity today. Its still stuck in 8gb
biggrin.gif

Where do they go from 160? the next step being what in small portable hard drives is ? 250?

I seriously still am Mind F--ked when i think about having my 160 classic in my pocket for mainly music these days, i mean my first computer had 10gb.

getting ready to call around to apple stores to see if they got the 16gb iphone in today...i hope they do cause i wanna sleep in tomorrow
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back