320 kbps MP3 vs. normal audio CD listening Sound quality
Nov 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #121 of 547
I like dbpoweramp for converting because it actually takes advantage of multi-processing to its fullest. It's extremely fast.

And you are correct on that not being possible. If it sounded better that means there were errors in compression/decompression.

Nice avatar chewy. I have about 1000 hours of soundboards. Cheers!

Nov 3, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #123 of 547
Thanks. Where did you get the soundboards?

Just over many years. Started off as a DAT collection then expanded with archive.org...until they pulled em off. If there's something you want, let me know. Stuff from each era and about 40 Ratdog shows too. Not much Furthur.

Nov 3, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #124 of 547
Quote:
Just over many years. Started off as a DAT collection then expanded with archive.org...until they pulled em off. If there's something you want, let me know. Stuff from each era and about 40 Ratdog shows too. Not much Furthur.

Ah I was wondering if it was archive.org related, didn't think they had soundboards.

Nothing specific I'm looking for unless you happen to have the soundboard of the Dead show in Rothbury '09. I've got So Many Roads which is a good compilation of soundboard recordings, not a greatest hits type album like you would think but actually good jams.

Nov 3, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #125 of 547
Ah I was wondering if it was archive.org related, didn't think they had soundboards.

Nothing specific I'm looking for unless you happen to have the soundboard of the Dead show in Rothbury '09. I've got So Many Roads which is a good compilation of soundboard recordings, not a greatest hits type album like you would think but actually good jams.

The archive used to allow sbd downloads until about 2006 or so. My favorite stuff right now is the Europe 72 complete recordings collection. At any rate, I always share the gold...don't have that 09 show.(Furthur 09 right?) I don't have so many roads. I have many of the shows included in it though. PM me if you'd like something!

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #127 of 547
Quote:
The master tapes were done in 24 bit. I'm sure the 16 bit CD also sounds nice. It's a good album too, if you are a Steely Dan fan.

Quote:
The CD is very likely a different mastering than your 24 bit files.

so doesthis means that the best magnetic tape for mastering is 24 track = 24 bit in CD ?

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #128 of 547
24 track is 24 separate channels. 24 bit is a measure of the file size. Totally different.

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #129 of 547
thanks man !

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #130 of 547
I can't tell the difference at 320kbps mp3, so that's what I use. It's compatible with absolutely everything!

I still prefer vinyl from a good turntable though. 

I was looking forward to someone else flouncing out!

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #131 of 547
Quote:
I can't tell the difference at 320kbps mp3, so that's what I use. It's compatible with absolutely everything!

I still prefer vinyl from a good turntable though. 

I was looking forward to someone else flouncing out!

Lots of people do prefer vinyl.

However, vinyl is verifiably and markedly technically inferior to digital audio on almost every important audio parameter. Vinyl has so many limitations due to its physical properties and actual operation which is basically dragging a rock through a canyon while it careens wildly from side to side that it is actually better sounding than it has any right to be, but if it is really high fidelity you want it falls short in a number of key areas not least of which is noise, especially on headphone listening and especially with music with quiet passages...by all means prefer vinyl but please do not argue for its being technically superior etc. 

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #132 of 547
Where did I say it was technically better? 

I really like the way vinyl (and a good cassette) sounds. Probably the nostalgia factor though.

I wonder if ther is some confusion between dynamic range compression and VBR (dynamic bitrate)?

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #133 of 547
Quote:
Where did I say it was technically better? 

I really like the way vinyl (and a good cassette) sounds. Probably the nostalgia factor though.

I wonder if ther is some confusion between dynamic range compression and VBR (dynamic bitrate)?

Sorry, but you would be surprised how many vinyl fans do maintain vinyl is technically superior, to the point where I expect it coming next, my apologies.

I grew up with vinyl, cassette and 8-track. There is something initially attractive about vinyl that I cannot rationally explain but the noise aaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhh !

back in the rec-audio.opinion days one of the prominent objectivists (possibly Arny Kreuger or Stewart Pinkerton) challenged a vinylist to post a 30 second digital rip of any LP without any audible LP related noise, suggesting that this was not possible - afaik the challenge was never successfully completed...with rock and pop noise is no big deal but with a lot of classical music noise on quiet passages is unbearable especially on headphones

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #134 of 547
Quote:

Sorry, but you would be surprised how many vinyl fans do maintain vinyl is technically superior, to the point where I expect it coming next, my apologies.

I grew up with vinyl, cassette and 8-track. There is something initially attractive about vinyl that I cannot rationally explain but the noise aaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhh !

back in the rec-audio.opinion days one of the prominent objectivists (possibly Arny Kreuger or Stewart Pinkerton) challenged a vinylist to post a 30 second digital rip of any LP without any audible LP related noise, suggesting that this was not possible - afaik the challenge was never successfully completed...with rock and pop noise is no big deal but with a lot of classical music noise on quiet passages is unbearable especially on headphones

Nick,

DO you mean the "hiss-ing" noise when you listen to Vinyl recording ?

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #135 of 547
I've witnessed times where vinyl playback is nigh on transparent with a properly set up table and fresh vinyl. No noise, hissing, pops, etc. There's a much greater investment in configuring transparent vinyl playback but I have no doubts that one could arrange an inconclusive DBT between well setup vinyl and CD rigs.

Granted at RMAF I've also heard six-figure vinyl playback systems that sounded no better than a turn-of-last century handwound record player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back