320 kbps MP3 vs. normal audio CD listening Sound quality
Oct 31, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #107 of 547
A Double Blind Test is calling for you - FooBar has a built-in ABX. A minimum of 15 trials is suggested.

Piece of cake Nick. I use JRiver. WASAPI event style. Yeah, 24 bit native sounds better than 256k AAC.
Don't be shocked.

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #108 of 547
Quote:
Piece of cake Nick. I use JRiver. WASAPI event style. Yeah, 24 bit native sounds better than 256k AAC.
Don't be shocked.

Did you re-convert the 24 bit to AAC or just use the itunes version for the test?

And can you post the results if that's the case? I'd be quite impressed if you got 15/15.

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #109 of 547
How loud did you have to get to hear the difference between 24 bit and 16?

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #110 of 547
Quote:
Don't be shocked.

I teach undergraduates, I'm seldom shocked anymore. Can you post a couple of 20 second segments of the files you compared, I'll run them through Cool Edit pro and see where the differences are.
Thanks in advance.

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #111 of 547
I have Sunken Condos ripped as ALAC if you need any samples of that to compare as well.
beerchug.gif

Nov 2, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #112 of 547
Yes please and then do a comparison screenshot in here, that'll be awesome :)

Nov 2, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #113 of 547
Quote:
Also, try converting the 24 bit version to high bitrate MP3, Vorbis, or AAC yourself using a good encoder. It could easily be the case that the iTunes version has more "loudness war" dynamic compression and clipping, and sounds worse mainly because of that, rather than the format.

I think AAC has a better noise floor than Mp3 based on an old test you can find online. AAC exacts a lot of its memory savings from the high frequency range, which I find interesting.

Has anyone looked at the impact of LAME 3.9x on music rips? I have been wondering how much better that codec might be now. All my rips sound pretty awesome.

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #114 of 547
Quote:
I have Sunken Condos ripped as ALAC if you need any samples of that to compare as well.
beerchug.gif

Did you RIP it from the 16 bit CD? I have the 24 bit files. I did convert them to 24 bit ALAC for library purposes in itunes.

FLAC files get played back in JRiver though, uncompressed to WAV with Traders Little Helper.

Getting back to the question on the 256k itunes version, I can't explain why it sounds like crap. Ask itunes.

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #115 of 547
Quote:
Did you RIP it from the 16 bit CD? I have the 24 bit files. I did convert them to 24 bit ALAC for library purposes in itunes.

Just the 16's here off of the CD.

"Traders Little Helper" I'll have to pull that down tonight looks very useful.
beerchug.gif

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #116 of 547
The CD is very likely a different mastering than your 24 bit files.

Nov 2, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #117 of 547
Quote:
The CD is very likely a different mastering than your 24 bit files.

The master tapes were done in 24 bit. I'm sure the 16 bit CD also sounds nice. It's a good album too, if you are a Steely Dan fan.

Nov 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #118 of 547
Quote:

Just the 16's here off of the CD.

"Traders Little Helper" I'll have to pull that down tonight looks very useful.
beerchug.gif

TLC is a handy free program. For those that need to get their FLAC's turned into ALAC, it still requires 3 steps. TLC convert FLAC's to wave, import WAV's into itunes..then create ALACs. Will retain all resolution doing this. Sometimes, I wonder if the full bitrate WAV's sound better than the FLAC or ALAC's. Being in "Sound Science", I'm sure it's not possible!

Nov 2, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #120 of 547
The master tapes were done in 24 bit. I'm sure the 16 bit CD also sounds nice. It's a good album too, if you are a Steely Dan fan.

There's no surprise that you can hear a difference between 24 bit and 16 bit if the mastering is different. When I was comparing SACD to redbook, I had a very difficult time finding a disk with the same mastering on both layers.

If you want to do a comparison test, you need to control the variables so you're hearing what you're testing for, not something completely different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back