$300 over-ear headphone recommendation
Feb 13, 2014 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

macmuchmore

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for a great pair of over the ears headphones for use when traveling.  I am hoping to spend $300 or less and I would like for the headphones to be able to work with my iPhone via bluetooth or cable, and have active noise canceling.  Of course I want them to be super comfortable and sound great.

I have read a little about the Creative Aurvana Platinum.  Are there any reviews available for them?  They seem to be what I am looking for, but are there other options that are better?

If anyone has any recommendations I would love to hear them.  Thanks!

Macmuchmore

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #3 of 11
depends on what kind of music you listen to

I listen to melodic dubstep, a little bit of EDM, new age rock and a bit of older metal and I find the V-moda M100's to be a very good fit for my tastes.

for headphone that fit your requirements i've only tried the m100 and the ue6000, the ue6000 sounded good but didn't fit me well.

Other Headphones often recommended in this category are
Sony MDR-1R
Sennheiser Momentum
Creative Auvanna live
Phillips L1
Keff m500

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 11
  Hi,

I am looking for a great pair of over the ears headphones for use when traveling.  I am hoping to spend $300 or less and I would like for the headphones to be able to work with my iPhone via bluetooth or cable, and have active noise canceling.  Of course I want them to be super comfortable and sound great.

I have read a little about the Creative Aurvana Platinum.  Are there any reviews available for them?  They seem to be what I am looking for, but are there other options that are better?

If anyone has any recommendations I would love to hear them.  Thanks!

Macmuchmore

Bose QC15, Parrot Zik (however it has a big problem, the battery life), Sennheiser MM450x (not so comfortable), Audio technica Anc7b.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 11
I have the kef m500. they sound fantastic and are extremely comfortable. they don't have noise canceling, but I still use them on the plane a lot, sound great and drown out most of the background noise. They even drown out most of the sound on NYC subway. I find myself going for them over my w4's.  they are very light, but rugged so great for traveling. I am very happy with them.

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 11
Given your tastes and applications I would recommend a closed headphone, which would give you passive noise-canceling of course. Of the headphones that I've heard I would recommend the Denon D600 or Monster DNA Pro. The problem with active noise canceling headphones is that they usually do one of two things much better than the other, those things being noise-canceling or great sound quality. Here's a great thread with a large closed headphone comparison with some noise cancelling headphones in there too:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-13-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 11
I was at my local magnolia on Sunday listening to home and mobile headphones that they had on display.

As for the mobile, the two that stood out to me as having the best fit and sound were the B&W P7 and the Sennheiser Momentum over ear headphones.

The B&W's were over your budget at $399., but the Sennheiser Momentum over the ear phones were at $299.
They both sounded really good and they both had a really similar sound to me.  I might give a very small edge to the B&W's, but each sounded really nice.

As an aside, they also had the momentum on ear model, and after going back and forth with the over the ear model I just didn't like the fit and feel of the on ear model at all.  The sound was similar but didn't seem as full and rich as the over the ear momentums.

Finally, they did have the Denon D600 on display, and I thought they were very comfortable and really nice sounding headphones.  But they were not as portable in that they weigh a lot more that then momentums and you feel it.  I think they weight 365grams and the momentums are probably around 200grams.  But again, the Denon's are very comfortable.  The sound was very different between the two as well.  I really liked both, but the Denon's have a really "live" (as I don't know what better term to use as I'm a newb here..:) sound, like you are actually at the concert in the audience, while the momentums and B&W's have a really tight close up sound, like you're listening through the soundboard in a studio.  Hope that helps.

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #11 of 11
maybe the QC series of bose they have good active noise cancel
the ue6000 noise cancel is really bad. Its just a bass boost to be honest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back