$300 budget - HE400 vs Grado 325is?
May 3, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #16 of 39
I believe I have found something for you: Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250

This particular model, although absolutely requiring an amp, seems to be fantastic, and is technically below $200 on amazon. I listened to the samples from Sonic Sense Pro Audio, and I wish I was a rich man so I could add those to my future collection.

May 3, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #17 of 39
Thanks for the replies all! 

Hpiper: I'm planning to pick up a decent budget portable amp in a while, maybe a fiio e12 or so. The beyer are good sets, any opinion of the beyer dt990 250 ohm pro? 

Brooko: I figure the grado will be bright, I was considering them as a good opposite set to my B&W P3. I can clearly imagine that you loved the grados, I wish I could try them out once! 

May 3, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #19 of 39
  Oh thanks for the find, I'll check out the reviews of those sets! Beyer DT990 hopefully will be a decent set

I love the 990 myself, but they really need the right amp. They tend to be pretty sharp in the treble with the wrong one. My friend has a Valhalla tube amp (over your budget unfortunately) but they sound really good on that. I listened to a pair in the local audio store and they didn't sound that good but I don't think the source they were using was very good because all of the phones I listened to in that store didn't sound very good. You would think an Audio Store who's goal is to sell headphones (among other stuff) would setup a pretty good amp/dac for their phone demo's but often they don't. Considering how many people are starting to use headphones these days that may change...I hope. A lot of audio stores carry Beyer's, maybe call around and see if a local store carrys them so you can do a demo before you buy.

May 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #20 of 39
Oh thats true. many stores dont have the right source/set-up to accurately judge the cans. I usually carry my own playeer & music to judge the sets. Unfortunately I live in Dubai, where many of these cans are not available for trial/testing. Only the very popular cans are put on the stores. 

Any idea if the fiio e12 would be sufficient to drive the beyers? 

May 3, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #21 of 39
The DT 990 pairs really well with the Bravo Audio Ocean. Which is a small inexpensive tube amp that is more than capable of driving the 990's. That's what I'm using right now and they sound fantastic together.

May 4, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #22 of 39
I have owned the HE-400 and currently own both DT880 and 325is, and while I would take the HE-400 for anything eletronic in general and the Grado for rock, I think the DT880 sits well between them, so I'd recommend the Beyer's.

May 4, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #23 of 39
  oh alright Kaboose, thanks for the explanation. 

Zazex, ah yes they are good sets as well. But I remember reading that the mids are recessed & low bass is a bit loose. I have a set of B&W P3, as well, which probably has a similar sound signature? 

I didn't think that the mids were recessed or that the bass was loose.
There is, however, plenty of bass.

As for the B&W P3, I haven't heard them, but considering their physical size
and the many reviews I don't imagine they  have the same sound signature as the Philips.

I also noted that someone else recommended the Beyer DT880 - they are great headphones
IMO and would probably serve your purposes well.  They do need an amplifier. 

May 4, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #24 of 39

I don't think I'd get either one. I would look at getting a used pair of HD600's or maybe some AKG 701 or 702. But if is down to one of those two I'd go for the Grado.

Wow...talk about bad advice (no offense meant). 

I absolutely love the AKGs, but I would never recommend them for EDM.

It's like someone who is looking for recommendations for a car with good fuel mileage asks about the Prius and the Fiat 500...and someone recommends a Camaro. 
confused_face.gif

May 5, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #28 of 39
I haven't listened to the 990's, but I'm sure they'll have more bass, treble and soundstage. The HE-400 is heavier, dark, and a little distant sounding. It also has a strange peak on treble. The DT880 is more balanced and it's more on the bright side (less than the DT990), can sound kind of metallic sometimes.

May 5, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #29 of 39
In this price bracket I'm more of a Mad Dog fan if you are going for both rock and electronic music. Also the Philips X1 could be considered. I'd be mainly looking for a mid oriented, stronger bass headphone for the two - as opposed to a V or U shape. I'll let others who currently own mid fi cans recommend though, I kind of skipped this level for 1K cans.

Quote:
  The denons while TECHNICALLY aren't sealed. They near enough as matters ARE sealed cans. But as a fellow owner of the AH-D2000 I will have to agree with you that they are very good for Dubstep, rock, EDM type music.

OP, open cans like the Grado will be better for orchestral music, or anything that needs a larger soundstage. The HE400 will have more bass, but are still open to give decent soundstage (not as much as the grados though). 

If you mainly listen to heavier bass genres it may behoove you to look into sealed headphones as they will give better bass impact and such. 

Just thought I'd comment on this. The HE400 has a larger soundstage and better imaging than Grado's except the PS/GS1000 and sometimes when using a jumbo pad (afraid jumbo doesn't sound great with most grados). Also Grado are not a top performer usually for classical compared to other models. Open vs closed headphone is not everything as far as soundstage goes, the TH900 eclipses many open cans in stage.

May 5, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #30 of 39
Rodweb: Basically both have their plus & minus. However, could you please describe "distant sounding" on HE400? Thank you! 

UNIFi: Thanks for the clarification. I also had assumed the grado sound stage is relatively small compared to the other cans mentioned. I'll definitely check out mad dog cans, I'm aware they are highly rated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back