$300 Amp recommendation for Fostex T50RP and future Grado SR325is
Jul 24, 2010 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SLaRe

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I'm searching for an amp for those two headphones. My maximum budget is about $300. 

Actually I have an Indeed Hi-Fi G2 amp, but the Fostex demand more "meat", so I was thinking of a Maverick Audio A1 or similar tube amp or a solid state amp, but I'm very lost in the SS amp matter.

What would you recommend me? I listen to Hip Hop, electronica, nu metal, funk, soul, R&B....

It would be nice if the brand has distribution in the UE.

Cheers

Jul 24, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 12
i can't recommend it, as i haven't heard it....  but, the Schiit audio Asgard is getting tons of chatter.
so give it a search and read...

it's SS and $249.
and powerful, so the specs say...

good luck in your search.

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 12
Yeah, the Schiit is a good option, but I'm curious about the Valhalla.

Any other suggestions?

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 12
Have you considered the Matrix M-Stage?  I don't know about the Fostex, but it works great with the Grados!
smile.gif

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 12
It seems to be a good option, since the reviews said it's good and can compare to more expensive amps. The bad part is that it doesn't have distribution in the UE, only through chinese resellers and I don't trust them very much.

Thanks Balmoral.

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 12
I got mine from coolfungadget using ebay.  He is excellent to work with. I would be VERY surprised if you had any issues with him.

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 12
I would give a shout out for the Asgard. However, after some acoustic and mass damping I have found the T50s to perform at their best running direct off of power amps. I would look for a Sansui from the golden era. Can behad for under 100$ and do one hell of a job with orthos.

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #9 of 12
Hi Sachu

Thanks for the reply. 

Could you tell me a concrete model of Sansui and where to buy them?

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #11 of 12
a bit out of budget: Linearossa K3

it sounds smooth, detail, transparant, and punchy with good staging. Really great for Aless MS2i.

I've tried M-Stage, and it is a good option too concider its price, but for me, K3 is better for Alessandro. (suppose to work well too for Grado)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back