~<$300 amp for denon d7000
Apr 3, 2009 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

j2kei

500+ Head-Fier
i realize that there are a lot of threads for the denons, however most of them seem to be in the higher price range. so far the ones i seem to see within the $300 or less shipped price range that are decent are:

CKKIII, head-direct EF1, audio-gd compass, novo(?), possibly amb M^3, k.i.c.a.s

which one do you guys think is best for the d7000. looking more for amp, DAC would be bonus (like compass). i'm hearing that EF1 has great synergy with the denon, however it also seem the compass matches pretty well and has that nice DAC. the CKKIII and M^3 are like big bang for the buck. k.i.c.a.s. are still pretty new w/o a lot of info/impressions.

please do not recommend something that much higher than $300. if i can go for less than $300 shipped, the better. there is no way for me to cough up that money. something reasonable like $20 over is still possible. something like rudistor and whatever godly & expensive amp are not within my reach
frown.gif

thanks

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #2 of 22
All of the amps you mention are very good. But, the inexpensive amps I am most impressed with, especially with low impedance headphones, are the hybrids. In particular, the Millet Max, Millet Mini-Max, Millet MOSFET Max, SOHA/ JISBOS and SOHA 2. These amps are clear, clean and fast with a nice touch of tube tone. The tubes are very inexpensive ($2-4 each) and I paid between $225-275 used for most of my hybrid amps.

Used is a relative term in the case of these amps as a lot of the time these amps were made by DIYers that simple enjoy building amps. Within a generally short period of time they are ready to move on to the next build and sell their amp to fund the next build. Some of my amps were only a few months old and the rest were not much more than a year old.

Keep watching the for sale section and some will assuredly come up for sale.
wink.gif

MAXcollage.jpg

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 22
interesting, totally forgot about the millet diy amps and SOHA/JISBOS

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 22
wow im surprised there isnt more interest in this thread, especially with the increasing number of d7000 owners thanks to J&R

Apr 4, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 22
If your source is going to be your MacBook Pro, an amp wont do anything for the poor sound out of it without a DAC IMO.

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 22
EF-1 is very good with Denon series in my experience.

Apr 4, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 22
j2kei there are a few amps available in your price range. IMO the EF1 and the Novo sound very nice with the Denon D5000 (D2000 on the way so I will know soon if it matches well). An older unit that also sound very good would be an used Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 w/ the PinkFloyd Mods.

Apr 4, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 22
I can't compare to other amps because I haven't tried any others but I can confirm that the d7000's sound epic with the gilmore lite. They go about $250 used and I've seen a few for sale lately.

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #13 of 22
thanks for all the advices so far everyone. my eyes seem more set on the compass because it seems like it is 1) a good amp 2) also a DAC that a couple of people have highly recommend me to pay attention to. i nearly forgot the zero, however after considering the upgrades and etc, the extra cost for the compass seems more reasonable especially since the build quality looks fantastic. nonetheless, keep the advices coming for all the future d7000 users.

Apr 5, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of the amps you mention are very good. But, the inexpensive amps I am most impressed with, especially with low impedance headphones, are the hybrids. In particular, the Millet Max, Millet Mini-Max, Millet MOSFET Max, SOHA/ JISBOS and SOHA 2. These amps are clear, clean and fast with a nice touch of tube tone. The tubes are very inexpensive ($2-4 each) and I paid between $225-275 used for most of my hybrid amps.

Used is a relative term in the case of these amps as a lot of the time these amps were made by DIYers that simple enjoy building amps. Within a generally short period of time they are ready to move on to the next build and sell their amp to fund the next build. Some of my amps were only a few months old and the rest were not much more than a year old.

Keep watching the for sale section and some will assuredly come up for sale.
wink.gif

MAXcollage.jpg

A hybrid like you see in SACD's post would have plenty of power for your low impedance 7000's because it has a solid state output section but you would still be able to roll tubes. Experimenting with 50 year old tubes is so much fun. :wink-face:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back