30% cashback on Ebay--not a scam!!
Oct 14, 2008 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

johnation33

100+ Head-Fier
Hey headfiers,

So I wanted to share a little secret of mine with you guys, a 30% cashback deal from ebay. Now before you say I'm a shameless advertiser or ebay/corporate slave or have ulterior motives, i'm just a student in nyc who needs to keep up on discounts and deals
smily_headphones1.gif
. So basically I did my research and this works, Im waiting on $200 in cashback. How does it work? Well basically, you just use microsoft live search (Live Search) and search the term "gold" or "wii". If you look at the sponsored ads, it should say "Buy Wii. You may get 30% off with PayPal if eligible." And there is a microsoft live 30% cashback logo next to the link. Just click that. Now, the cool thing is, its a blanket cashback on all ebay items, not just the wii or gold or whatever search term you used to get the cashback promotion. so basically just search for any item you want, and then click on it. You can buy any item you find within the span of 1 hour to take advantage of the cashback, then you have to do the process all over again (use live search again for gold or wii).

LIMITATIONS:
1. You must buy a buy-it-now item (i had to cancel a previous bidded auction because I didn't know this rule).
2. You have to create a live.com account (if you dont have one, you can visit here Live Search cashback - Live Search to make one)
3. You have to wait 60 days before you can cash in your cashback. This is to ensure that you don't just return the item and then try to claim the cashback.
4. You cannot buy gift cards.

HOW TO CHECK if you are getting cashback:
1. Before you confirm to pay, a microsoft 30% cashback logo should appear on the page, if it doesn't than dont buy it.
2. Before you click buy-it-now on an item page, the microsoft 30% cashbacklogo should appear near your ebay ID name near the search bar at the top.
3. After you pay, you should get an email from ebay confirming and detailing the cashback.

For more details you can visit the microsoft website (Live Search cashback - Live Search) or the wikipedia article on it. I have no idea how microsoft plans to expect to make money off of this by getting people to use their search I guess, but frankly I don't think microsoft is going to scam me in anyway, and my account currently displays $200+ in cash back.

What can you buy? Well any buy-it-now item (NO AUCTION). I bought a wii, an acer aspire one, headphones, and a dac.

Also you should know it takes two days for the item cashback to show up in the records on your live account, I almost freaked out for two days thinking microsoft had somehow scammed me
angry_face.gif

If you still don't believe me, you can check out the wikipedia article or the following news articles:

At This Auction Site, Prices (on Chickens, iPods, Etc.) Are Going, Going Down - washingtonpost.com (jellyfish is the service bought by microsoft live search)

BBC NEWS | Technology | Microsoft offers cashback search

AH ALSO NOTE: ONLY FOR US!!! Sorry for other countries
frown.gif

Just helping my fellow headfiers out
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 69
Or you can just buy US currency, though you risk running afoul of ebay's money laundering policy.

Live on the edge.

Oct 14, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2muchwk

ktxbai

Hardly too much work for a major purchase, IMO. Considering my estimated hourly wage after taxes, so long as this takes less than 10 hours it's worth it to me.

Y'all might not be lookin' to spend a grand on the 'bay, though.

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 69
Damn! Why are these great deal always US only...

Like:
* 30% cashback
* Free shipping
* 30 days free return
* and like

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 69
Old news. Been on all the hot deals forums. Slick Deals, Anandtech, Fat Wallet, etc.

Problem is the CashBack rate flucuates, and eBay sellers jack their prices up. Which is hilarious, because many get stuck with a high BIN auction after the CashBack rate drops.

The current 30% rate has lasted the longest so far.
I wonder how much Microsoft is going to be spending on this promotion.

-Ed

Oct 14, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn! Why are these great deal always US only...

Like:
* 30% cashback
* Free shipping
* 30 days free return
* and like

Hey, Norway seems to be doing fine without a cashback promotion. You take the good with the bad

Oct 14, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #10 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, Norway seems to be doing fine without a cashback promotion. You take the good with the bad

Ok, guess I should not complain.
Cause in which way I twist it, there will never be differences between the US and Norway...

Oct 15, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 69
haha M$oft could be the devil, but they just made my keces da151 $220 shipped which is even cheaper than many of the used offers here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #15 of 69
Heard ebay's been cracking down on the currency thing. It was pretty hot last time with it. Be careful if you want to try that. I'd say just get something you personally might want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back