3 year itch - Westone 3 vs <something else>?
Sep 6, 2013 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

frustin

100+ Head-Fier
I bought the Westone 3's in 2010 because of the SQ and their bass nature.  I listen to house, techno and other bass heavy genres.

I paid about £250 a few years back.  Since then the left phone has a rattling inside it which is annoying but I dont hear it when it's in my ear.

Anything new out there with the same bass heavy nature in the same price band?

My source is iphone 5.

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 39
You could reshell the Westone 3 if you want to keep the sound and get rid of the rattling noise (something loose inside I presume) it would be a shame forget about them inside a drawer, and sell an almost-broken pair is also pretty bad... 

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 39
thanks, is there a consensus of which is the more popular/best?  Will the extra driver/s make a large SQ difference?  i wouldnt want to lose the bass. 

In the UK the cost of Unique Melody custom and an extra driver is about £300.

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #6 of 39
Unique melody should be the best, take your time to read a bit about them around here, the general consensus is positive. If you want the same signature don't add extra drivers, some people do to get a stronger bass or better mids or simply because they can.

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #7 of 39
i asked about the extra driver/s and the chap said that it'll likely add a medium or high driver.  My concern isnt about the signature its more about losing the bass.

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #14 of 39
Just been talking to sales abut this product: http://www.theheadphonecompany.co.uk/headphones/unique-melody-unique-melody-westone-3-reshell-quad-driver-upgrade.php

There's no way to check what the extra driver will do for my sound except that it is another "low" driver.  Given that bass is an important factor in my music genre my concern is there will be a reduction of bass (even perception of drop).  My source is the iphone 5 which has a flat sound eq and as I mostly listen to podcasts there is no way of changing the EQ.

Of course i could just not bother with the extra driver and just reshell with existing drivers only.

The chap i spoke to on the phone had the frequency response graphs but wasnt prepared to let me have a copy. To be honest, I doubt it'd make any difference if I had them or not, the only way I'm going to know is by listening.  He did say that the Westone 4 and the Westone 3+1(driver) did not look the same at all.  He thought that perhaps UM would try and match the same response by adding the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back