3 way shootout: Abyss TC, Solitaire P and Susvara (off of DCS bartok)
Jul 28, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #46 of 57
Bartok's 2.8W into 66 Ohm solid state amplifier is under powering it,
Anyone that knows the various HE-6 versions - knows that 2.8 w @ 66 ohm isn't nearly enough to drive them or the Susvara (very similar output).

I think 8 wpc of Class A might be enough to show what the Susvara can do.

Jul 28, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #47 of 57
I haven’t bought the convolution filter (planning to), but I’ve made some PEQ adjustments to SR1a and I must say the sub-bass rumble beats Susvara (and that is with open flaps).

Interestingly, I also notice impressive subbass rumble with EQ on certain tracks. It's not more forceful than the Susvara, but uniquely grand-sounding.

I do notice though the drivers bottom out (with low frequencies) if pushed a bit too hard with EQ.

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #48 of 57
Anyone that knows the various HE-6 versions - knows that 2.8 w @ 66 ohm isn't nearly enough to drive them or the Susvara (very similar output).

my formula s/powerman drives the susvara quite well despite having less power into it than you describe with the bartok....the wattage is big time overrated...

Jul 29, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #49 of 57
I listen to very bass heavy music, with metal and hip-hop being my favorite genres.

You have the Bakoon? I’m surprised to hear that you think the sr1as have more sub-bass than the Susvaras. I’ve never heard the Bakoon, but out of my headphone amp, the Susvaras go so, so very low (it’s quite amazing). The impact has more oomph with the Susvaras than the SR1as.
Yes I’m also surprised. Especially after adding the preamp in front of Bakoon, the difference becomes more prominent. I don’t listen to metal and hip-hop though.

Jul 29, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #50 of 57
Interestingly, I also notice impressive subbass rumble with EQ on certain tracks. It's not more forceful than the Susvara, but uniquely grand-sounding.

I do notice though the drivers bottom out (with low frequencies) if pushed a bit too hard with EQ.
So far I haven’t experienced the drivers bottom out. Perhaps you should lower the preamp setting in the EQ (I do so by about 6-7 dB).

Jul 29, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #51 of 57
So far I haven’t experienced the drivers bottom out. Perhaps you should lower the preamp setting in the EQ (I do so by about 6-7 dB).

The Sr1a in general bottoms out with the bass in comparison to any of the TOTL headphones; it's especially noticeable on bass heavy tracks. But for most genres (at least the ones most critically listen to through high end headphones), it's not really much of an issue given how much it excels with clarity, imaging and soundstage. But I agree with others. It's an amazing compliment to almost any headphone, but it definitely couldn't be my only pair.

Jul 29, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #52 of 57
The Sr1a in general bottoms out with the bass in comparison to any of the TOTL headphones; it's especially noticeable on bass heavy tracks. But for most genres (at least the ones most critically listen to through high end headphones), it's not really much of an issue given how much it excels with clarity, imaging and soundstage. But I agree with others. It's an amazing compliment to almost any headphone, but it definitely couldn't be my only pair.
+1

Jul 29, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #53 of 57

my formula s/powerman drives the susvara quite well despite having less power into it than you describe with the bartok....the wattage is big time overrated...
I tried Viva Egoista 845 tube amp (15W per channel rating) and it did not transform Susvara in any way. From my two amp experiment I would argue wattage is overrated, but then, I cannot generalize as these are just two amps and maybe Viva had bad synergy with Susvara.

Jul 29, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #54 of 57
Jul 29, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #55 of 57

A few here have panned the HE-500 running it at under 2 wpc @50 ohms and were of a much different opinion after. I agee other factors would give a different picture than just watts, but, without the pieces in hand, I'm using what I have to discuss.

Jul 29, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #56 of 57
I tried Viva Egoista 845 tube amp (15W per channel rating) and it did not transform Susvara in any way. From my two amp experiment I would argue wattage is overrated, but then, I cannot generalize as these are just two amps and maybe Viva had bad synergy with Susvara.
It's just me but I would always use a Pass Class A SS amp for comparisons so that the results would be steady state. Int-25, X-150, even back to a Threshold Stasis 3. Tube amps - say an OTL and others do indeed seem to give less consistent results - irrespective of the fact you are using some prime gear (by reputation).

Did you have any other planars (outside of the original 3 in the study) to try? I know the HE-6 (4 and 6 screw) are very sensitive to getting enough power. The Rag 1 in SE isn't bad sounding w/ the 6 screw, but with XLR it's far more muscular, with a deeper sound stage, and quieter background. Mid gain setting gives 4 wpc into Class A. To get to ear splitting for me. It's mid gain and 5 o'clock on the volume. I doubt a 2.8 wpc can match the output.

The Susvara in basically my set-up (see sig) lacks the insane bass impact of the 6, and in no other way does the 6 get near the Susvara. Bigger soundstage, Much cleaner treble. Nuanced harmonics and deep subtle details. Needs enough current to display that.

Jul 29, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #57 of 57

Preaching to the choir. I don't actually EQ to a level where it ever bottoms out.

As an experiment, I've tried cutting down all but the bass frequencies and it's easy to make the drivers reach excursion. I read some people got this to happen even without an EQ, I'm not one of them (partly because I listen with the flaps fairly close to my ears).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back