3 new Ultrasone Signature Headphones: Master, Natural and Pulse
Aug 9, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #377 of 459
How come the Master got harder than the pure if the pure bass is larger
As I outlined in our PMs, I see „hard hitting“ as having more midbass/upper bass around 100-150Hz, while I think the Pure has more level deeper down, making its bass presentation softer

Aug 28, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #379 of 459
Can anyone with experience make full list of Ultrasone units starting from hifi, pro, sig, ed... List for bass, list for tonality. Love my pro 900, love my sig pro(for 1.5hours max due to ear tip pain), like ed12. Would like to get ed 10 due to semi closed type(only ed11 available in shops), can't find any true comparison sig pro - ed10 - ed11 - ed 12. Ed 12 very good for comfort, but open is not my favorite. Ed 11 still open(is it even better than 12?) and ed 10 not made anymore, but can find some used. I guess, I keep comparing all with pro 900.

P.S.
ED15 not enough free movement, extra pressure in front. Quality issues?

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #380 of 459
Can anyone with experience make full list of Ultrasone units starting from hifi, pro, sig, ed... List for bass, list for tonality. Love my pro 900, love my sig pro(for 1.5hours max due to ear tip pain), like ed12. Would like to get ed 10 due to semi closed type(only ed11 available in shops), can't find any true comparison sig pro - ed10 - ed11 - ed 12. Ed 12 very good for comfort, but open is not my favorite. Ed 11 still open(is it even better than 12?) and ed 10 not made anymore, but can find some used. I guess, I keep comparing all with pro 900.

P.S.
ED15 not enough free movement, extra pressure in front. Quality issues?
you start,

I suggest perimeters
Bass quantity:
<3 Bass punch:
resolution:
mids:
highs:
comfort:
imaging:

Sep 20, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #382 of 459
I consider the Pulse's to be a direct upgrade to my M-Audio Q40's. They have better highs and mids, better isolation, better comfort, but the bass is roughly the same if you compare the unequalized Pulses to equalized Q40's. The Pulses just need a slight 3db boost to the subbass and you're good to go. The Q40's... not so much. If you want them to excel at trance you need a 10-band EQ to give a 6db boost to the subbass and a 3db boost to the midbass. I think that the Pulse's might have a bit more bass after all, I'm not sure.

None of those are a match for the OG HFI-580's absolute tsunami of subbass, which is outrageously huge, dynamic and detailed. In my view, those are 2.2 over-ear speakers, not headphones. Those are the only headphones that I've heard that make dubstep and trance tracks such as Cosmic Gate's "Ultra Curve" or the Alphazone remix of Nish's "Sagittarius" sound right. They're truly one of a kind, but they have nothing to do with the Pro 580i's which are NOT the same headphones despite the marketing. The latter have much less bass and no sibilance.

Here's a nearly-exhaustive list of headphone's that I've tried over the years: Creative HS-800 Fatality Gaming, Creative Aurvana Live, AKG K81DJ, Ultrasone HFI-580, M-Audio Q40, Beyerdynamic DT-150, AKG K618DJ, Sony MDR-XB950, Reloop RHP-20, Ultrasone Pro 580i, Ultrasone Pro 780i, Ultrasone Signature Pulse. I've also tried Ultrasone DJ1 (the same as the HFI-580's but with a curled coil, which I dislike) and several other headphones at various audio stores (just for a couple of minutes, so I can't say much about them with any confidence).

The Pulse's provide roughly the same level of enjoyment as the Q40's, but the Q40's comfort is outrageous. They crush your skull and you can feel the pain (skull pain!) hours if not days later. You can't wear them for more than about 40 minutes. Bigger pads don't make this problem go away and you can't stretch them (believe me, I tried). Though I heard that people with small heads don't have such problems.

The comfort of the Pulse's is much better, you can wear them for about 90 minutes to 2 hours without any discomfort (and when it kicks in, you won't feel skull pain later on). Considering their price, it's still bad though. The HFI-580's make the top of your head hurt after about 40 minutes of listening, same as with the Q40's. They're just as bad in that regard.

The Q40's also don't isolate well and are a poor choice for trains, buses and the library. They are OK for cycling and walking, you don't feel as much pain if your body moves. The Pulse's provide 2-way isolation, while the Q40's just isolate the outside world from you.

I don't think I'll be getting another pair of the Pulse's for portable usage, I'd rather get good IEM's instead or just keep the Q40's for that purpose.

The Q40's cable is way too long for anything else than stationary listening, while the Pulse's provide a separate short cable for USB sound cards and portable usage. I also like the headphone case.

The Q40's look better than the Pulse's in my view.

This is how I judge the Pulse's:
Bass quantity: 7/10 (they're no match for the tangible subbass of the HFI-580's, which would get a 10)
Bass punch: 8/10
Comfort: 7/10 (but considering their price: 2/10)
Price: 6/10 (I don't think they're worth 320 euro that I paid for them)

I'm not competent to judge anything else. The mids and highs sound correct and enjoyable.

My sound card is Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, and the albums I chose for the test are Talla 2XLC's "Techno Club", volumes 31 and 33.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #383 of 459
As You can see, I don't write too often. Thanks for input.
Please do.

In my opinion the current vmoda 100 that I have are in comparison to the ultrasone DJ1 more Boring, there is less imaging in the vmoda due to dj1 has the s logic features
The 480i is very disappointing in all ways, no bass to mention, no details, kinda soft sound signature similar to the audio technica ath50
The bass in the vmoda gets 5 out of 10
The bass in the dj1 gets 7,5 out of 10 due to being detailed, tight, punchy when EQed, and it lacks bass level that matches my taste.
Th vmoda bass is less detailed than the dj1, less punchy, however it can reach higher quantities when EQed, and it's less punchy, it gets 6 out of 10 rating for the bass, and it's worse than dj1 in all ways, the look and design, the features the details and all.
A stock non EQed HD 800 or LCD5 for an example sound slightly better than an EQed DJ1 except for the bass
The only headphones that I have heard that actually beats the EQed bass of A dj1 is the wooden open back LCD 2 or 3 im not sure, that the drums shines and hit harder than anything, and very warm, no high end sparkle, just very bassy so it gets 10 out of 10 for me. Very detailed and wasn't able to apply eq at that time.
And comfort was greater than all that I had, maybe a little heavy.

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #386 of 459
Obviously our tastes differ in that. And quite a bit.
I felt no bass in these headphones without eq, no sound signature like audio technica or ultrasone, no good staging or confront around ears, and details are there but not as other headphones I heard.
They are simply good, just not great. Also the build wasn't impressive in terms of materials, they should have incorporated aluminum, and made it with bigger ear cups and tuned for more much punchy bass at least for it to compete with others like LCD series or ultrasone signature series that is knows for better imaging and bass.

Sep 23, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #387 of 459
I felt no bass in these headphones without eq, no sound signature like audio technica or ultrasone, no good staging or confront around ears, and details are there but not as other headphones I heard.
They are simply good, just not great. Also the build wasn't impressive in terms of materials, they should have incorporated aluminum, and made it with bigger ear cups and tuned for more much punchy bass at least for it to compete with others like LCD series or ultrasone signature series that is knows for better imaging and bass.
I have a hard time commenting on that. Your experience seems to differ from mine in about every point mentioned. The bigger earcups would be the only common point, but the XL pads very much solve that for me. More punchy? No, please not. They are on my very limit in that regard already.
While I like some Ultrasone models, I don’t see them as better in either imaging or bass. Different maybe.

Sep 23, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #389 of 459
So my you need to try the lcd 2c or focals or sig dxp and feel the punch and upper bass texture that you haven't felt before
I’ve heard many focal models and despise them exactly for that — I really can’t stand their in your face upper bass. Much prefer deep bass…
Never heard the DXP nut once owned the sig DJ, which was nice but not that comfortable to me. Never heard any Audeze I liked… their bass presentation is definitely not to my taste.

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #390 of 459
Has anyone ended up buying the newly released Signature Pure? Stumbled upon this review: and its making think its just a re-packaged Signature X for the markets outside of NA. The build, the creaking and the sound as described by the reviewer seem eerily similar to the X.
Curious as to whether anyone on here has bit the bullet and can share their experience with it... otherwise I may go ahead and get a pair myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back