24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
Jul 19, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #6,736 of 7,175
You really have to dot the i's and cross the [1] T's here or [2] others will attempt to crucify you.
More nonsense that is demonstrably false.

[1] You don’t cross a capital T. You just kind of put a little hat on the top. Unless it’s cursive. Otherwise you only cross a lowercase t. How can you not know this?

[2] Who are these mysterious others? Do you have any objective evidence of this? This appears to be wild speculation. There is absolutely no peer-reviewed evidence or documentation of an attempted crucification for not dotting an i or not crossing a (lowercase) t anywhere in the world, much less at the sound science section forum of head-fi. Nor has anyone ever even failed to dot an i or cross a t in the sound science section of head-fi. How can you not know this too? Do you seriously not know what a crucifixion is?

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Jul 19, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #6,737 of 7,175
I got Scientific and used a Meter :blush:

sarcameter-sarcasm.gif

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #6,738 of 7,175

[1] You don’t cross a capital T. You just kind of put a little hat on the top. Unless it’s cursive. Otherwise you only cross a lowercase t. How can you not know this?

[2] Who are these mysterious others? Do you have any objective evidence of this? This appears to be wild speculation. There is absolutely no peer-reviewed evidence or documentation of an attempted crucification for not dotting an i or not crossing a (lowercase) t anywhere in the world, much less at the sound science section forum of head-fi. Nor has anyone ever even failed to dot an i or cross a t in the sound science section of head-fi. How can you not know this too? Do you seriously not know what a crucifixion is?

Guilty, guilty..

Dream.jpg

Jul 19, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #6,739 of 7,175
I've quoted multiple times now about how you've wanted to say there is a relevance comparing resolution with bit depth when it comes to images
No you haven’t!
Are you projecting about how much you've drunk today??
No, I haven’t had any alcohol today.
Once again...if there's anything you should learn about SD and HD (when you sober up) is that they have the same bit depth.
Once again…. Clearly you can’t read or must be drunk! Stating that “many at that time equated bit depth with higher resolution/more bits” does NOT mean that I personally do/did!! Jeez, your reading comprehension is seriously lacking.

G

Jul 19, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #6,740 of 7,175

That escalated quickly.

Jul 19, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #6,741 of 7,175
No you haven’t!

No, I haven’t had any alcohol today.

Once again…. Clearly you can’t read or must be drunk! Stating that “many at that time equated bit depth with higher resolution/more bits” does NOT mean that I personally do/did!! Jeez, your reading comprehension is seriously lacking.

G
If all you're going to do is attack, I'm now going to ignore you. At no point were people thinking about bit depth when SD and HD were being marketed. The marketing was that FullHD was 6x the resolution of SD. Now you go back to insisting people (including you in #6727) think a clear difference in visual quality is because of bit depth.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #6,742 of 7,175
If all you're going to do is attack, I'm now going to ignore you.
What difference will that make? You’re already ignoring what I’m saying or just not reading it carefully enough to understand it. I’m attacking you because you’re attacking me for not reading carefully, when in fact you can’t!
At no point were people thinking about bit depth when SD and HD were being marketed.
Sure they weren’t, that’s why no one ever uses the terms “high-res” or “high-def” to describe higher bit depths (than 16bit).

G

Jul 19, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #6,744 of 7,175

"Imperfect analogy": it's an incorrect analogy. For images, resolution is independent from bit depth. Up until 4K, all home video was 8bpc. When you're viewing 4K streaming, you can also check if it's HDR10 or Dolby Vision. If it is, it's 10bpc...if it isn't it's still 8bpc.

Jul 19, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #6,745 of 7,175
There's a familiar pattern here. Someone new to the group will say something demonstrably false. Someone will give a concise answer proving it false. Then someone will add a footnote with an irrelevant exception to the rule "for completeness's sake". Next, someone will argue about the definition of a word. Then someone will argue with that definition using an irrelevant analogy. The analogy will lead to an argument about a totally different topic.

The only hope is that the irrelevant topic might be interesting. The actual topic of the original post was answered in the first response. All the rest is excelsior.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #6,746 of 7,175
"Imperfect analogy": it's an incorrect analogy. For images, resolution is independent from bit depth. Up until 4K, all home video was 8bpc. When you're viewing 4K streaming, you can also check if it's HDR10 or Dolby Vision. If it is, it's 10bpc...if it isn't it's still 8bpc.

Hey don't pick on me, I'm just pretending to be clever :sweat_smile:

Jul 19, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #6,747 of 7,175
Hey don't pick on me, I'm just pretending to be clever :sweat_smile:
Nah, I know you're just a messenger :relaxed: If you have early BD titles, you'll see the splash marketing for it over DVD. Besides differences in interface, the ad for video benefits is 6x resolution.

Jul 19, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #6,748 of 7,175
Jul 19, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #6,749 of 7,175
There's a familiar pattern here. Someone new to the group will say something demonstrably false. Someone will give a concise answer proving it false. Then someone will add a footnote with an irrelevant exception to the rule "for completeness's sake". Then someone will argue with that exception using an irrelevant analogy. The analogy will lead to an argument about a totally different topic.

The only hope is that the irrelevant topic might be interesting. The actual topic of the original post was answered in the first response. All the rest is excelsior.

Excelsior? Do you seriously not know what excelsior means? Have you been drinking again? :) :wink: :wink:

Let Google’s Bard AI entertain us! Seriously (in a lighthearted way), I did not know what excelsior meant, at all, so I looked it up when you used it:

Excelsior is a Latin word meaning "higher" or "ever upward." It is the official motto of the state of New York, and it has been used by many other organizations and individuals as a symbol of aspiration and achievement.

The word "excelsior" first appeared in English in the 16th century, and it was used in a variety of contexts, including as a name for a type of wood shavings. However, it was not until the 19th century that the word became widely associated with the concept of striving for higher things.

In 1841, the American poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow published a poem entitled "Excelsior," which tells the story of a young man who sets out on a journey to climb Mount Everest. The poem is a meditation on the human desire for achievement, and it ends with the young man's death on the mountaintop.

The poem "Excelsior" was a great success, and it helped to popularize the word "excelsior" as a symbol of aspiration. The word has been used by many other organizations and individuals since then, including the state of New York, the Finnish Army's Special Jaegers, and the fictional Weldon Institute in Jules Verne's novel Robur the Conqueror.

Today, the word "excelsior" is still used as a symbol of striving for higher things. It is often used in motivational speeches and posters, and it is also a popular choice for tattoos and other forms of body art.

The word "excelsior" is a reminder that we should always strive to achieve our goals, no matter how difficult they may seem. It is a call to action, urging us to never give up on our dreams.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #6,750 of 7,175
Excelsior (as it's known in North America) is known as "wood wool" in Europe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_wool

Thanks for reminding me. I forgot to include arguments about definitions of words in my trajectory of the deterioration of a conversation. I added that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back