$249 Noise Cancelling Headphones for $0.99
Dec 6, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #61 of 70
Got my shipment today.

I will reserve lengthy critical judgment until I can spend some quality time with them.

Keep in mind I am not expecting much from them. I purchased 4 pairs, 1 for me, 1 for my wife to be used only when we travel to drown out engine noise and the noise coming from the mass of human cattle. The remaining pairs will be given as gifts.

My very early impressions so far (subject to and most likely will change), using my iPod shuffle as source:

A bit too "clampy" for me. Hopefully the clamp will loosen at least a little bit with use. Out of the box, I can't imagine being able to use them for much more than an hour at a time without a break. Not quite as bad as the AKG K-81DJs mind you (those things are straight from the depths of hell comfort wise), but they certainly aren't comfortable to me. Keep in mind I am quite spoiled with my Denon D5000s - they are like wearing fluffy pillows on my head and ears...

Plenty of Bass. OK midrange. The highs seem veiled, lacking the top end sparkle I enjoy and am used to.

Oddly enough, I think they sound better when they are powered on as opposed to being driven solely by my iPod. This indicates to me that the amp. built into them is probably pretty decent, maybe on par with a cheapy CMOY.

There is a ton of play with the volume knob before the volume actually starts to increase.

The active noise cancellation seems to work a treat. I can't wait to try them out around something that is really cranking out some high DB hum or rumble to see just how well they work.

I think they are going to work very well for the application I intend to use them for (mowing the lawn and plane travel). If I paid retail for these, I would be pretty pissed, but for the price I snagged them for on Ebay I think they are likely well worth it, and are probably a steal.

Dec 6, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #62 of 70
REplace the cheap cable and them let them burn in overnight - made a huge difference in overall SQ.... but not in the level of detail.

Highs still veiled
frown.gif
...but for $20 I doubt there is a place on God's green earth where you could do better.

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #63 of 70
Give em time, the clampiness wears off with use. I had the same problem when I first got them. After about an hour, they got obnoxious. I left them on my head a few nights while I slept. Seemed to work.

x2 on the cable replacement.

I've got some Canare Quad Star, and it does improve greatly. Although I didn't throw that small cable out entirely. It's great to leave in the bottom of the bag for flights.

Jan 19, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #66 of 70
tried mine out on a dash-8 propeller plane. if any of you have flown in one, you'll know they're extremely loud.

they work relatively well. only thing i've noticed is either my head is too narrow or they don't fully block out all the noise. but when i push up against them to be snug against my head, all the droning noise from the propeller is gone.

Jan 19, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #67 of 70
Anyone here happened to have scored multiple pairs, and are now thinking they could do away with a pair or two less
biggrin.gif
?

Hit me up if you do. Thanks.

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #68 of 70
Just got them (shipped to a friend who re-shipped here, so it took a while). I have 3 pairs. Very, very nice.

Can't beat the price.
biggrin.gif

However, they come with an absolutely awful thin, crappy, cable. What cable should I get instead?

Anyway, this is glorious, thanks OP. Best deal of my life.

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #70 of 70
Any one want to do a group buy I see 5 pairs for 52 bux shipped should I jump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back