$249 Noise Cancelling Headphones for $0.99
Oct 6, 2007 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

luckypictures

500+ Head-Fier
I love ebay. First my Sennheiser HD555, now these.

About a week ago, I took a chance on a pair of headphones. I was surfing around ebay, and came across a set of headphones, made by amp'd mobile. For those of you across the pond, amp'd was a prepaid company that targeted a young demographic. They leeched off Verizon towers, and after about a year or two, amidst major financial woes, they decided not to renew their contract with amp'd mobile. Thus, amp'd mobile is no more. Did I mention they told their customers that the company was going under via text message? On the day it happened? Yah.

Back to where we find me. So I'm browsing through headphones. I couldn't tell you what keyword I typed in. And I see a pair branded amp'd mobile noise canceling headphones. The starting bid was $0.99. So, I figured I'd do some research, I was headphone buying happy, so why not. Well, I couldn't find a thing on them. The best I got was to look at the old ordering page through archive.org. Turns out amp'd sold them for $100 before they went out of business. I figure why not.

So I got the headphones in today, and as soon as I opened the box, I said to myself, "I've seen that design somewhere before." So I opened the packaging, and took out the headphones. On a hunch, I just typed in Bose noise cancelling on google images. I thought they might be rebranded Bose. Well, they're not. But, I came across a picture of an identical set of headphones. It turns out, they're rebadged Plane Quiet Solitude Headphones.

I thought, no way, I can't have 2 strokes of headphone luck in the same week. So I found a page that had an unboxing. They are absolutely 100 percent identical. Except for the plate that covers the battery. It even has the same "Press to Release" sticker on the band.

I can't vouch for the quality of them, as I haven't plugged them in yet, but they've got nothing but glowing reviews all over the web (though not from any audiophile source that I could find), and for $0.99 plus postage, they were a damn fine steal.

Also, it came with two very nice 2.5mm to 3.5 mm adapters ( including a right angle one) and a mini-usb to 3.5mm adapter. So, for those of you iPhone people out there looking to pick on up on other threads, send me a PM.

I'll be posting a shot by shot comparison a bit later today.

A review of the headphones, with unboxing, can be found here.

Specifications:
# 18 decibels of noise cancellation, highest of any ANR headset on the market
# 40 mm drivers delivering superior audio fidelity
# Detachable audio cable enabling convenient carrying, use, and storage
# Standard, gold-plated 1/8th-inch stereo pin
# Dual-pin and 1/4-inch adapters included (both gold-plated)
# Frequency response: 20-20,000Hz
# Sensitivity at 1KHz: 115dB (Off); 121dB (On)
# Cord length: 1.5M
# Output power: 30mW
# Impedance: 32 ohms

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 70
So are there more sets of these headphones available on eBay for $0.99, such that we can all share in the joy of your discovery? Or was this the only pair, and you're just happy with the great find and wanted to 'share' but not in a way that would lead us to the same kind of joy? In either case, congrats! Hope they sound as good as they look.

As a side note, I'm assuming that $0.99 was the starting bid and that nobody bid against you, a much harder assumption for any remaining items now that the rest of the world is in on the secret.

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 70
Found the eBay page. Nice find if it's good. It looks like no one wants to buy them at $50 (other seller's price), but for $1 + shipping, it shouldn't be a bad deal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 70
Good job finding it. Just a heads up, as I'm sure these were looked over by a lot of people, and they've got to be floating around somewhere.

Hey, offer the seller $20, the other seller listed them about 4 times with no sellers.

I'll post here if they come up at all.

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 70
REVIVAL OF OLD THREAD NECESSARY.

These headphones are available, in a mass quantity on ebay right now. I can't stress to you how great they are. They're not as cheap as before, but still not bad for what they are.

CLICK HERE!

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #6 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckypictures /img/forum/go_quote.gif
REVIVAL OF OLD THREAD NECESSARY.

These headphones are available, in a mass quantity on ebay right now. I can't stress to you how great they are. They're not as cheap as before, but still not bad for what they are.

CLICK HERE!

Alright, you.

I just ordered a pair and will hold you directly responsible if they're lousy!
tongue.gif

Heck, I'm simply glad I came across this thread before Head-Fi clears them out. I get the feeling the seller won't know what hit him 12 hours from now.
biggrin.gif
Either that or he'll kick himself for not asking $20 or $30!

I have a long plane trip on December 26 and had been wondering what headphones to take. These should do nicely.

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #7 of 70
To clarify, they are in fact the same headphones found HERE.

Undoubtedly, and unequivocally. I have since compared them side by side in both appearance and in listening tests, and can tell you that they are the same.

I probably should write a review. They're fantastic headphones. And if you don't have an amp, I find that turning on the noise canceling feature is about the same quality as low end portable amps (CMOY and the like).

Don't miss out!

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #8 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, you.

tongue.gif

Heck, I'm simply glad I came across this thread before Head-Fi clears them out. I get the feeling the seller won't know what hit him 12 hours from now.
biggrin.gif

I have a long plane trip on December 26 and had been wondering what headphones to take. These should do nicely.

Ack! Held at the behest of a Head-Fi'er with almost 5000 posts.

I swear by them. I bought 3 more pair tonight. One for my mom, another for me, and one for my neighbor, who I just got hooked on a Zune.

And as far as using them in flight, they're fantastic.

I've used them without music to drown out that terrible noise in the cabin, and with music to drown out screaming children. These things are outta sight. To borrow a 70's colloquialism.

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #9 of 70
Okay. I just listened to them again.

Good low end, not too bassy. Very full. Detailed mids. Very detailed highs. Brass is well represented with them. Went through a bunch of tracks, no clipping.

Just turned on the noise canceling in a quiet room. Provides a boost to the lows, drowns out the mids a bit, and the highs are still well defined.

Plugged into a Go-Vibe V6 with 24V Elpac. Everything is a bit more defined, the highs are especially nice, bass is still strong, but not muddy. Mids are a bit more pronounced.

To really run these through their paces, I would suggest listening to Yma Sumac.

On a second listen, I'd say without an amp or the noise canceling, they're just not as full. To put them on without it to begin with, the sound is quite pleasing. But after hearing them amp'd, it's just not the same.

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #11 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where can we buy em from, that link says its sold
frown.gif

Right here

There's still 41 available. I bought 4 of the original 50. And of course, I bought them before posting that they were available. Lol.

I bought 4 more. 1 for my mother for Christmas, one for the neighbor for Christmas, and 2 more for me. I'll leave em in the package in case something happens to the one I've already got.

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #12 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, you.

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

I just looked at your signature. I'm really not qualified to post a full review, though I'm working on it. You should post a review when you get them, from someone who has quite the Grado collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back