24-bit or 16-bit setting, and sample rate switching? (macOS)
Jun 22, 2023 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

user404

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

Lately, I've been running Apple Music audio from my MacBook Pro 2021 through the Cayin RU6. I run Lossless Switcher in the background since the Mac doesn't auto-switch sample rate (versus iOS). I also have "Bit Depth Switching" on but since this app is still fairly new, I get lots of pops in the beginning of songs as it tries to figure out whether to switch between 16-bit or 24-bit.

Two questions: Can I keep the bit depth at 24-bit permanently or is better for it to switch back-and-forth to match the format of the songs? And, is it a good idea overall to have the sample rate switch? I remember reading that upsampling , such as keeping the output sample rate at 192 for all songs, is a bad idea.

I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Jun 22, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 3
it tries to figure out whether to switch between 16-bit or 24-bit.
Don't. Stick to the max.
Operating system mix. SO they convert to float, mix, dither , convert back to integer.
If you choose 16, it will dither bit 16. That's audible as this is at -96 dBFS. Id you use 24, dither is at bit 24, this is -144 dBFS, totally inaudible.
The bit depth as set in the OS is simply the arithmetic precision, always max it out!

Jun 22, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 3
Don't. Stick to the max.
Operating system mix. SO they convert to float, mix, dither , convert back to integer.
If you choose 16, it will dither bit 16. That's audible as this is at -96 dBFS. Id you use 24, dither is at bit 24, this is -144 dBFS, totally inaudible.
The bit depth as set in the OS is simply the arithmetic precision, always max it out!
That makes sense, thank you! I really appreciate the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back