22nd August UNSW (Sydney, Australia) Meet!
Aug 24, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #76 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
J-Pop FTW! I noticed you had Yui in your list.
L3000.gif

And melody
ph34r.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #77 of 125
You should both get a copy of Ayaka's (絢香) two albums.
Especially the second ^^

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #79 of 125
He's a good guitar player, but I can't say his music is for everyone
tongue.gif
definitely not for me anyway.

Oh yea I found my amp in my bag >:] Guess I didn't leave it behind after all.

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #80 of 125
I've finally gotten around to posting here
tongue.gif

Thanks everyone for a fantastic meet, I had great time. I listened to what I wanted to listen to and enjoyed seeing you all again.

What I wanted to get done was to have a decent listen to the HD600 (sadly no HD650 there to compare to) and size them up as a replacement for my AD900 which really are too similar to my MS2i and rather boring in comparison. The HD600 sounded much better with the classical music I listened to, there was much more presence, especially in the bass and they just had more body than the AD900. I was also surprised with their reproduction of Lamb of God, whose recordings I have are pretty harsh; they didn't sound quite so harsh and it was still aggressive but much more pleasant to listen to (if I can use the term 'pleasant' with thrash metal
tongue.gif
).

My AD900 are now for sale and I'm looking for an HD600 to get
biggrin.gif

I had a listen to John's HD800 rig again. It amazed me again, and I think it does sound a lot better with the Buffalo. It's not quite my cup of tea for everything I listen to (its rendition of Tool didn't blow me away as it did with other songs), but I would not complain if I had to use it. It's a stellar rig with amazing clarity and detail.

HF-2 were interesting, I totally didn't expect the amount of bass those things put out. They had me thinking for a second that they'd be nice to own, but I quickly dissuaded myself. The Melos was another interesting beast, my MS2i sounded totally different out of it; the sound was so lush and smooth, rich and creamy.

I'm afraid that's all the comments my brain feels like making at the moment
tongue.gif

I'd like to do it all again in less than a year, and hopefully I'll have a bit of a different setup by then (I'm thinking a DIY DAC of some sort is in order to go with my DIY amps...).

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #81 of 125
Sure looks like another great down-under meeting!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing al those pictures, and for the impressions.

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #82 of 125
hehe krmathis: I knew we would see you in here before the thread died
wink.gif

I guess I should really post some actual impressions before my addled audio memory dies altogether.

I too was almost swayed by the HF-2 and agreed with Covenant that it does not sound like the grado i know and hate
wink.gif
the bass slam and texture on Jason's rig was surprising even though he had warned me of it (the only reason I gave them a listen) I agree that they seem to be lacking the grainy and thin sound that has turned me off in the past. quite interesting indeed, but not worth the current asking price IMO

the melos is the real deal Juz, really enjoyed my listen to Shpongle and massive attack on there. seems literally made for massive, with the smooth/slightly warm, yet resolving detail. the JH13 would not have been taxing the drive tube too much, even with the 100 ohms added resistance, so perhaps thats why I didnt find it very lacking in that area.the isolation provided by JH13 with this combo was superb LOL as those in the room when I corrected Jason on his statement that the unibody mac lappie didnt have double click
wink.gif
this fantastic isolation was proven yet again the next morning when a bewildered and frustrated looking Covenant was to be found shaking me for dear life to wake me up, wondering why I hadnt heard his requests
wink.gif

I very much enjoyed listening to that dangerous cardboard box and actually didnt mind Tool out of it personally, perhaps you just needed to crank it some more Elliot
wink.gif
sure I can see it could be considered a touch too resolving and even polite at low volume for portraying the highly produced; yet slick distortion on aenima, but the dynamics and musicality pleasingly picked it up a notch at higher volume; which was the reasoning behind my cranking it; much to the rooms errmmm horror ??? hehe, only to be beaten at that game later on.

should have hooked my DIYMOD duelund dock up to the C2C, as no-one seemed to take it seriously enough to give it a listen and Mark needed a source. even had some really serious RCAs that i wanted to test out there too. oh well another day.

I could see myself really enjoying the Cd3000 as an alternative to my Denons for electronica; pleasing bass, good character in the mids (something the Denons can sometimes be a touch lacking in) musical; yet resolving, with good deep bass (though just a touch polite in that area), good extension, but does not match the modded D2000 by a long shot IMO.

really did drive home just how happy I am with the JH13 though and gave an inkling of how much they are capable of scaling with source. i'm determined to continue to tune my rig with my current cans in mind. will see what else is in store, but I do not feel like I am getting caught in the harvey audio FOTM at all now as I know what these will sound like with my B32. now to find an amp worthy. and the B22 room know what that is. I think I have enough cans at least for now, and must get the rest of the rig up to scratch. a bit disappointed I didnt get to hear webbie's stats, but my wallet probably thanks him for the no show.

I didnt get to test out the competition's cables like I though I might, seems mine ere everywhere instead
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #83 of 125
Hehe... yes, cranking in may have helped, but I like my hearing as it is
tongue.gif

But it's not as if it was bad or anything, just not as mind blowing as most of the other music coming out of John's rig.

I had a listen to the CD3000 out of the GS-1 / Yamaha thing and thought the bass and electronic sounds particularly sounded awesome. I should have tried some Shpongle or something, that would have been awesome, and even better out of the Melos, methinks. The CD3000 / Melos combo certainly made a few people happy.

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #85 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe... yes, cranking in may have helped, but I like my hearing as it is
tongue.gif

hehe yeah well I spent most of my time chatting at the meet, so the volume for that amount of time is fine. I do try and take care of my ears, but I do also like to crank it when needed. I just pay attention to how long. usually when going to sleep I keep the volume down, what damage there is to my ears, was done long ago in the speaker bins at gigs
wink.gif
but my hearing is just fine and its only late at night that I can hear just a tiny bit with IEMs

Quote:

But it's not as if it was bad or anything, just not as mind blowing as most of the other music coming out of John's rig.

oh yeah I understood that

Quote:

I had a listen to the CD3000 out of the GS-1 / Yamaha thing and thought the bass and electronic sounds particularly sounded awesome. I should have tried some Shpongle or something, that would have been awesome, and even better out of the Melos, methinks. The CD3000 / Melos combo certainly made a few people happy.

yeah out of everything, the CD3000 is quite interesting. until I get a ful-blown amp going I cant justify HD800, perhaps by then they'll release one that looks less like a swedish vacuum cleaner
wink.gif

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #86 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah out of everything, the CD3000 is quite interesting. until I get a ful-blown amp going I cant justify HD800, perhaps by then they'll release one that looks less like a swedish vacuum cleaner
wink.gif

There's an idea, a headphone with reversable drivers you can use to suck earwax out of your ears.

Think it'd take off?

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #87 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's an idea, a headphone with reversable drivers you can use to suck earwax out of your ears.

Think it'd take off?

well even as it is, you could be led to believe that HD800 would take off
tongue.gif

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #88 of 125
Ok you pack of animals, stop paying out on my very expensive Swedish vacuum cleaners.

Did anyone think the two rooms sounded different? Not counting closed cans of course, I found the unglassed room significantly better, I was able to get a fairly good gadge on the differences between equipment in that room.

So far the best venue I've attended was Nicks not so mini West Sydney meet, purely in terms of sound. A lively room just kills all your micro dynamics and detail.

Jeremy's over zealous handling of the beta22's volume knob is a syndrome of such a room as at lower volumes the life is simply sucked out of the music.

Food for thought for the next meet, I reckon soft furnishings is the way to go - if we can get more numbers for the next meet perhaps a large hotel room?

J

Aug 25, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #89 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Food for thought for the next meet, I reckon soft furnishings is the way to go - if we can get more numbers for the next meet perhaps a large hotel room?

J

Hm, a hotel room could possibly work, depending on how much space we could get. I ran into brick walls the first time I tried organising event rooms/board rooms at local hotels - they either wanted exorbitant amounts of money, or else didn't reply to inquiries till a week later.

If people want to do the next one at my company boardroom again that's an option too.

Aug 25, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #90 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok you pack of animals, stop paying out on my very expensive Swedish vacuum cleaners.

hehe hey I didnt say they didnt look like nice expensive vacuum cleaners
wink.gif

Quote:

Did anyone think the two rooms sounded different? Not counting closed cans of course, I found the unglassed room significantly better, I was able to get a fairly good gadge on the differences between equipment in that room.

totally with you on that one, I found the 'high end' room to be more difficult to get a gauge, which was the opposite of what it should have been.

Quote:

So far the best venue I've attended was Nicks not so mini West Sydney meet, purely in terms of sound. A lively room just kills all your micro dynamics and detail.

agreed

Quote:

Jeremy's over zealous handling of the beta22's volume knob is a syndrome of such a room as at lower volumes the life is simply sucked out of the music.

with you there; that was why I cranked it; i wanted to get an idea of how dynamic they and the B32 were, impossible at low volume in there. I do usually like to listen to loud music loud as well though. listening to tool at a murmur seems a bit wrong to me, regardless of the surroundings

Quote:

J

sure, but we would have to plan ahead to realize that. Jasons boardroom was a good venue, but a bar would be nice too
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back