22nd August UNSW (Sydney, Australia) Meet!
Aug 22, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #31 of 125
I will always remember that security guard's expression when the lot of us were on the way out of the library. Priceless.
tongue.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #33 of 125
hehe yeah that was prettey funny hey~
I was so hoping one of the alarms went off
frown.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #34 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so who is John, the guy who owns my old HD800s and the sweet B32s?
tongue.gif

He is the esteemed gentleman in the blue stripe lol

If you look just down in front of him you see the fully custom designed and mill-spec cnc machined buf32 "Just Right" box =]

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #35 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He is the esteemed gentleman in the blue stripe lol

If you look just down in front of him you see the fully custom designed and mill-spec cnc machined buf32 "Just Right" box =]

Oh dear. I thought it was a Sabre 32 in that high quality chassis.
tongue.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #37 of 125
Nice meet guys, the venue sure looks conductive to one on one interactions/exchanges. Sure looks like you all had fun.

Covenant, I own the HF2 and the RS-1 (older w/ buttons but black leather headband). The HF2 is a lot better than I expected and it is a nice sounding unit, but it is not in the same category as the RS-1. The RS-1 IMO is more refined, detailed, and overall more engaging can. However at 40% less (in the USA) for the HF2 it was a good deal, since it was offered to those overseas at the same price it was an excellent deal.

Aug 23, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #38 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Covenant, I own the HF2 and the RS-1 (older w/ buttons but black leather headband). The HF2 is a lot better than I expected and it is a nice sounding unit, but it is not in the same category as the RS-1. The RS-1 IMO is more refined, detailed, and overall more engaging can. However at 40% less (in the USA) for the HF2 it was a good deal, since it was offered to those overseas at the same price it was an excellent deal.

Yeah, unfortunately I missed the pre-orders though, and the rare HF-2's that are cropping up on the FS forums are doing so at a big markup
frown.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #39 of 125
Hi guys,

Thanks for the meet yesterday. It was nice meeting all of you.

northstar and the melos combo was for some reason not to my liking. I find it too warm that it muddles up the detail, this is probably because of the tube in it that needed replacing so it wasn't a fair impression.

Pico dac/WA6se - Hmm i dont really like this combo for the HD600 but i like it very much for the HF2 (acoustic guitar just sounded awesome with this setup).

Buffalo/B22/HD800 rig - This was one of the first rig that i have a listen to in the meet. I like it a lot. The hd800 got the sennheiser mids that i liked and it combined them with some of the airyness of an akg701 and soundstage that is sort of like sa5000.
Special thanks to johnwmclean for letting us to have a listen to your lovely rig.

I agree with Covenant when we were doing the a/b comparison that the pico dac is better than the gamma2 but we do have some suspicion that maybe the pico have a slightly louder output than the gamma2. Background instruments just comes out more clear in the pico than the gamma2. I wasnt sure what filter settings are set on the gamma2 so it might not be a fair comparison to dismiss it.

Listening to the some of aftermarket cables for the Sennies was an interesting discovery for me. I know i am gonna get a beating for this but i did not like the vortex cable because i find that it brings out the treble too much. I do suspect that this cable is actually good in a sense that it is quit revealing but i am afraid that this just shows the ugly truth that the mastering quality of most music these days are actually worst than years before.

The CD3000 is the best closed headphones i've heard so far but i think i'm just generally not a closed headphone fan to make me want to rush out to get it.

Well coming out of this meeting i know that right now i must get some dac for my setup. Controversy aside i was pleased how the beresford tc7520 performed for its price so it might just be my next purchase.

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #40 of 125
photos added on page 2!

Aug 23, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #41 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with Covenant when we were doing the a/b comparison that the pico dac is better than the gamma2 but we do have some suspicion that maybe the pico have a slightly louder output than the gamma2. Background instruments just comes out more clear in the pico than the gamma2. I wasnt sure what filter settings are set on the gamma2 so it might not be a fair comparison to dismiss it.

Yeah, the Pico did seem slightly louder during the A/B comparison. Tom, do you know if the Y2 outputs the standard 2Vrms? I'll have to try and track down the output of the Pico and see if there's a discrepancy there.

Another factor that might have contributed to the verdict as well was the cables used. The Pico was using my Twisted Cables RCAs and the crazy USB cable, wheras the Y2 was using Tom's RCAs and a stock Pico USB cable. If you're a believer in cables this might have been a factor, anyway, which I obviously am
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #42 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
qusp, i would love the chance for you to convert me to the dark side and making me realise exotic components make for a better sound- don't worry, webbie is half way to convincing me, i think it's just my eardrums letting me down.

hmmm i'm not sure if my spidey sense is tingling.....
wink.gif
either way webbie is the man for the job
wink.gif

Quote:

Finally got to meet the man behind the name qusp!
Jeremy is an awesome guy who makes and equally awesome and quality product in his "Twisted Cables" er... cables!
I can't believe the amount of stuff he brought with him all the way from Brissy.

yep they're twisted and they are....cables
I have a more obtuse ad audiophile appropriate name for an umbrella company that i'm working on.

Quote:

I spent more time blabbing and thinking about food so my impressions are very little,
except to say that Duelund Capacitors with their virgin blood (organic naturally) dielectric are... crazy lol

hehe yeah i'm just glad no-one tried to take a bite out of one; I have an aversion to personal injury suits
wink.gif

Quote:

We've already started talking bout the next one!

thats what happened last time too
wink.gif

Quote:

You should have seen qusp's reaction to my jpop crap... priceless hehe

hehe yeah thats about my feelings on the matter; no amount of convincing will see that change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On another note. Jeremy, you're such a camwhore.
tongue.gif

hehe, yeah that was the first thing I noticed too, plenty of pics of me plugging/unplugging like all good cable guys should; except for having a brain fade and nearly unplugging the HD 800 from the Beta22 without turning it off or down first; although i'm unsure of the significance of this with balanced outputs, but I will do some reading on that. SE phono outputs doing that you short the signal to ground briefly on the way out because of the design of both mini and 1/4" phono connectors, but balanced on XLR does not have this problem. again my bad, I will do some reading on that so I know why. all my gear is pretty low power or line level, so I admit to being a bit noob there.

Quote:

Haha that's part my fault...
I figure now other peeps can see the true form of the nutcase behind their awesome twisted gear
tongue.gif

That and he was always holding or in front of something I wanted to snap~

Oh! On that note... I subconsciously navigated to the JH audio site... damn.

evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif
....nutcase.....Meee[size=medium]eeee[/size]
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The meet went really fast, it was an awesome gathering, thanks Justin for a legendary job organising. It was great to see everyone again looking one year older
smile.gif

agreed, the meet flew by, was glad to actually get some listening in this meet, instead of; lusting after paracetamol all afternoon like last one. nice one JUZ
beerchug.gif
more on that in a minute

Quote:

Impressions:
I hadn’t heard the CD3000 until this meet I really liked this phone through the North Star 192 / Melos - there was a nice balance with this combo.

true the 'happy music: was truly happy very transparent and fun lol. this rig also shared a treat with me/shpongle and my JH13
tongue.gif
was a real pity that JH doesnt have more demo sets available; I asked if they could send some with my JH13 for the meet, but they were in transit still on their way back from another meet in the US and sorry guys, but I was NOT going to delay my shipping further by waiting for them
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I briefly tried some Audio Technica’s out of the Jaycar/Little Dot Dac, I much prefer some other phones I’ve heard with this amp.

hehe; jason knows my feelings on AT pretty well, but I wont comment.

Quote:

Of particular interest to me was qusp’s HD800 cable, the XLR Bocchino connectors look the real deal - the detail and workmanship in this cable is incredible. Under meet conditions the cable sounded as good as the stock to my ears. I’ll post some impressions regarding this cable, in some later weeks to come. Thanks for all the great gear you had on hand Jeremy.

yeah those connectors are pretty errmm substantial
biggrin.gif
like I said at the meet john, there was never going to be anything jump out at you with the cryoparts wire in those conditions immediately, unlike jena and some other coppers, there is no added warmth to these ears, just totally natural and transparent, not hyped in any area, improvements more in the speed, transparency and dynamics. which is why I found sum1's comment confusing.

oh and re the HD800 vortex; i know its a bit late for this in your case, but erm....sorry about your wallet

Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, an apologies for the lack of prizes...I'll make sure to get that sock in the mail for you John

about that, I actually planned to give away a low profile LOD; I made one specifically for the purpose, but forgot all about it and it got lost amongst the rest of the errmmm more substantial objects. so I would like to throw open a comp right now for it. the first to tell me what the cryoparts acronyms for their wires stand for CFDCTUPOCC (cryo copper) and SCSCAg (cryo silver) the winner will receive a low profile fully iphone 3G/touch 2G compatible ipod LOD (no airplane mode prompt because it has tyhe iphone resistor istaled)(or I can make a up a mini to mini if the winner has an aversion to ipods) using CFDCTUPOCC on signal and SCSCAg silver on ground. no pics, but lets say they are both smaller and more polished than the ones last year

i'll ship to the winner direct

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah it’s fine, would have been rigged like last time anyway, when you won everything
tongue.gif

hahaha too true, that was fully sus, i'm sure you and Jason had some sort of tryst so the raffle was rigged

Quote:

Originally Posted by sum1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Listening to the some of aftermarket cables for the Sennies was an interesting discovery for me. I know i am gonna get a beating for this but i did not like the vortex cable because i find that it brings out the treble too much. I do suspect that this cable is actually good in a sense that it is quit revealing but i am afraid that this just shows the ugly truth that the mastering quality of most music these days are actually worst than years before.

hehe nah no beating, I dont know where you live; oh hang on yeah I do somewhere jk I wonder if the word you are looking for is transparent?? I wont mention a certain v%$l lifting lol because I get sic of that term/description. I actually thought I heard you say that at the meet, but wasnt sure
confused.gif
different ears I guess, bright is not a word I would use for HD600, no matter what cable you use and certainly not the vortex to my ears. i'm asuming yoi are talking about jasons vortex HD600 and not my balanced set? because balanced totally does what you are mentioning regardless of wire, because of the nature of it, it adds more swing and transparency/lower noise floor. plus if you were using mine, you were probably using the very revealing B32/B22 combo

re the quality of today's music: dont shoot the messenger

but hey, you heard what you heard; i'm not gonna argue with that; no matter how much it confuses me
tongue.gif
although ^^ some would consider that arguing hehe peace out its all good
biggrin.gif

impressions on the way, just got home, so thought I would reply to the many mentions of me OMG
redface.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #44 of 125
hehe the man gets it right on the second go (well close enough; correct on the 3rd edit
wink.gif
). I guess you found a certain review thread ;p. question was easy (google is your friend); I just wanted a question of some sort. and you are as good a person as any to get it. wasnt really very fair though considering no-one else has probably even seen my post yet. so I can also offer a very low profile cardas pure silver mini to mini to the person who gives me the best reason by tomorrow
wink.gif
it really is tiny, would be best for an iriver user. well i'll find a pic and post it. its only about 5-6cm long and with 2 modified right angle minis

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #45 of 125
so HPZ PM me your address and i'll send it down

Users who are viewing this thread

Back