22nd August UNSW (Sydney, Australia) Meet!
Aug 22, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #16 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh! On that note... I subconsciously navigated to the JH audio site... damn.

Oh sh!t.
popcorn.gif

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #18 of 125
Was an awesome meet everyone, thanks to Juzmister for organising
beerchug.gif

Standouts for me were:
HF2's - wasn't prepared to like them, found that I liked them alot, will likely end up buying them if the chance presents itself.
CD3000 - Just as good as I remember them to be.
HD800+Beta22+Buffalo - The source change really worked for John's rig, and brought that musicality and body that was missing, creating an overall balanced and almost universally pleasing signature.

A surprising dissapointment was the Y2. Sorry Tom, I slightly preferred the sound of the Pico, as it seemed to be a little more forward and musical, without sacrificing smoothness or clarity. The HD800 single ended on my rig showcased the Pico's weaknesses, though. I think a Buffalo may be in order somewhere down the track, the ESS Sabre dacs seem to be the way to go to get a significant step-up from the Pico.

But mostly it was just good to see everyone again
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #19 of 125
The meet went really fast, it was an awesome gathering, thanks Justin for a legendary job organising. It was great to see everyone again looking one year older
smile.gif

Impressions:
I hadn’t heard the CD3000 until this meet I really liked this phone through the North Star 192 / Melos - there was a nice balance with this combo. The Grado HF2’s and balanced 600’s did not seem to have the same synergy, both seemed a little murky compared to the CD3000. Floyd’s DSOTM had great bass weight and good air with the CD3000, very smooth sounding throughout the spectrum. To be fair Justin said he needs to change the old stock tubes, I suspect the HF2’s and 600’s might just be revealing a tube problem.

If the Grado HF2’s were a little murky out of the North Star 192 / Melos the Pico/Woo WA6SE Maxed with Sophia did not disappoint at all. I thought this combo was a standout, listening to Loreena McKennitt’s Book of Secrets the harp was so rich and palpable it was breathtaking. Other genres faired well to my ears as well especially metal - aka Tool. I briefly heard my HD800 single ended in the same combo - overall preferring the HF2’s. I did prefer the HD800 soundstage - but as a total package the the Grado HF2’s took the trophy. The Sophia rectifier tube is the best looking audio tube I have ever seen, a real beauty to behold.

Another very nice rig was a DIY Chinese dac kit and a total DIY tube amp, it did a very nice job driving the K701’s it had great bass weight and definition.

I briefly tried some Audio Technica’s out of the Jaycar/Little Dot Dac, I much prefer some other phones I’ve heard with this amp.

Of particular interest to me was qusp’s HD800 cable, the XLR Bocchino connectors look the real deal - the detail and workmanship in this cable is incredible. Under meet conditions the cable sounded as good as the stock to my ears. I’ll post some impressions regarding this cable, in some later weeks to come. Thanks for all the great gear you had on hand Jeremy.

Great meet guys!

J

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #20 of 125
Thanks guys!!

I had such a fun time today, it was great catching up with you all and seeing some new faces around. I came home and put a bid on the CD3000s before heading out!! What great synergy with the Melos.

I opened the Melos up and found two Sovteks in there, I think I found our problem! I've ordered some new tubes, hopefully will be fixed soon.

John, your beta/hd800s were mindblowing, must...resist...

Zephyr, I officially hate you...You've corrupted my poor soul and drained another chunck out of my wallet!

I can't wait till the next one, I'm going to have to find a more suitable venue for us. That room was toasty!

Thanks for coming down Qusp, was great having you there

Cheers

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #21 of 125
oh, an apologies for the lack of prizes...I'll make sure to get that sock in the mail for you John

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #22 of 125

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #23 of 125

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #24 of 125

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #25 of 125

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #26 of 125
one more just in case
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #27 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zephyr, I officially hate you...You've corrupted my poor soul and drained another chunck out of my wallet!

Lalalalala. Did not hear that. Lalalalala

Aug 22, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #29 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, an apologies for the lack of prizes...I'll make sure to get that sock in the mail for you John

Nah it’s fine, would have been rigged like last time anyway, when you won everything
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back