[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
May 14, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #3,781 of 7,442
  Hi Brooko,

I read your reviews with a lot of interest.
You have measured Monk Plus with impedance adapter.
But I am very curious to know if there is any change in sound with original Monk with impedance adapter in measurements.
If you have time to do it, can you please measure it? 
smile.gif

popcorn.gif

I love my Monk. I have Monk Plus and 75 ohm adapter in transit. Can't wait to try it. 

I finished my Monk Plus yesterday - just need to do final edit, photos then post it.  Next is FiiO EM3, and then Monk original.  I'll definitely measure it with the adaptor, and let you know if there are any changes.  Will be interesting to see if you notice any changes when your adaptor arrives.  Secret is the volume matching first.

May 14, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #3,782 of 7,442

I finished my Monk Plus yesterday - just need to do final edit, photos then post it.  Next is FiiO EM3, and then Monk original.  I'll definitely measure it with the adaptor, and let you know if there are any changes.  Will be interesting to see if you notice any changes when your adaptor arrives.  Secret is the volume matching first.

Okay thanks, I'll wait patiently. I hope I will receive mine next week.
beerchug.gif

May 14, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #3,783 of 7,442
I just bought sennheiser mx170 just to have something to compare monk to. Since last time I try ear buds was at middle school at math classes at the back of classroom ...was like 10000 years ago, so I didn't know what to be expected from buds today.

I also bought new foam pads, not just thicker foam, but also tighter fit.

Mx170 looks simple and good, typical German design. Very light and build quality doesn't feel cheap.
From the first seconds they feel very comfortable in the ear, no need to adjust for sweet spot.
So I pressed play on my iPad Air and the smile from my face ( I always smile when I put on new headphones/iems) was gone ....
All sounds harsh thin and artificial, vocal makes you wanna pull them out of ears and throw them under the soffa...
Instruments had no body, Plastic - sound.

I pluged monk with new foam I bought seperatly,and boom.... Music flows thrue my ears ....
You won't know how good monk is till you direct compare it to something like mx170, and mx170 suppose to be not that bad for ear buds...

As for foam arguments, here is what I think. With thicker foam you gain more body to the sound , warmer mids, more bass and smoother treble.
Depending on the gear you use with monk, those things could be something that you was missing with thin foam or it could be too much and you will be missing sparkle air and clarity...

So it's about balancing the sound with thin/thick foam to the gear you have and the taste of yours...
Would be cool if Lee added both options of thin and thick foam , and a bottle of 25 years old Whiskey , I'm sure it would increase sound quality ...

Thanks for interesting thoughts of Sennheiser earbuds! Proves again how good Monks are, but that's not surprise anymore
biggrin.gif

When I made my custom made donut foams of Monk plus foams, I accidentally made too large holes on first pair so they wouldn't fit tight enough on Monks anymore, so I made second pair with smaller holes and they were perfect. Even though first pair failed, I could still use them with second pair and they would work that way well. Two donut foams made tighter fit in ear of course, but even though both were centre open, I didn't like sound as much as with single donut foams because it became too warm and lost some clarity. I currently use single donut foams on Monk plus and I'm lovin the sound.
wink.gif

May 14, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #3,784 of 7,442
@zhibli06
@vapman

yes, I should've mentioned that ultimately it comes down to sound preference and physiology of your ear. very finicky stuff, as with all earbud foams. and maybe my ears are just weird, as i've never fathomed how most people seem to listen to the Zen 2 naked or with rubber rings. but regardless, the material and thinness of the new foams definitely make it sound different from your typical foams.

I tried the double stacking the foams and found that it helped a lot, but would caution against doing it
redface.gif
 the foams are so thin that I tore both foams trying to stretch them on. they will now be converted into makeshift donuts, but good thing you included 4 pairs anyway. 

May 14, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #3,787 of 7,442
Oh for sure - but as I stated earlier - I can repeat the test with any of my sources, and the frequency response from that particular source does not change (the volume simply drops). So citing the difference between sources has no meaning in this context.  The claim I tested was that adding 75 ohm impedance changed the sonic signature to the source being used with the Monk Plus.  IME with the sources I have at my disposal it doesn't.  I suggest you try it for yourself. I queried the claims at the time - and no-one was prepared to actually test it so I paid for some adaptors and did it myself.

Suggesting different sources have different signatures has nothing to do with the fact that the sources I tested with - and that now includes the X3ii, X7, L5Pro, L3, iDSD, E17K and X5ii (basically anything I could use as a DAC to couple with ARTA) - don't change with the Monk Plus by simply adding a 75 ohm adaptor.

And I see no issue (as an individual or Moderator) discussing this here - simply because the original claims were brought up here.  All I am doing is presenting an alternative view.  The difference is that I have measurements to back up my findings.

I'll leave this now - as I believe the known objective truth in this matter is self evident. Lee even told me at one stage that he'd be surprised if there would be any change - due to the very flat impedance plot of the drivers he used. I think I just proved it.

Well I'm really surprised to hear you couldn't hear any sonic differences except some volume drop. Don't want to sound rude but your answer to the 75ohm adapter ignores Etymotic ER4S conversion cable which a lot of people buy to transform their ER4P to ER4S. So according to your measurements we are all dreaming about the sonic difference the adapter reveals. Sorry but I won't take your test seriously as I heard a huge change in sound using both Etymotic 75ohm conversion cable and Bocur Audio 75ohm adapter cable. I can also hear the differences between 2 brand new IEMs earbuds or headphones of the same brand and model or burned in or new ones btw.

There is a significant amount of difference when using a 75ohm adapter with either Monk or Monk plus for me!

May I ask which adapter brand did you use for testing the effects on the sound? Any link would be appreciated.

May 14, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #3,788 of 7,442
Well I'm really surprised to hear you couldn't hear any sonic differences except some volume drop. Don't want to sound rude but your answer to the 75ohm adapter ignores Etymotic ER4S conversion cable which a lot of people buy to transform their ER4P to ER4S. So according to your measurements we are all dreaming about the sonic difference the adapter reveals. Sorry but I won't take your test seriously as I heard a huge change in sound using both Etymotic 75ohm conversion cable and Bocur Audio 75ohm adapter cable. I can also hear the differences between 2 brand new IEMs earbuds or headphones of the same brand and model or burned in or new ones btw.

There is a significant amount of difference when using a 75ohm adapter with either Monk or Monk plus for me!

May I ask which adapter brand did you use for testing the effects on the sound? Any link would be appreciated.

I dont want to sound rude too but I echo your thoughts. I keep using the ER4PT to ER4S as a classic example why the 75 ohms adapter will affect the sound. Btw I am using a Dunu 75 ohms impedance plug. There is an increase in sonic performance although the graph suggests otherwise.

May 14, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #3,790 of 7,442
People have also reported that after listening to a different IEM with a different sonic signature for a while, a familiar IEM can sound different until you've grown accustomed to them again. This just shows how much perception plays a role in hearing, which is entirely in your head.

May 14, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #3,791 of 7,442
People have also reported that after listening to a different IEM with a different sonic signature for a while, a familiar IEM can sound different until you've grown accustomed to them again. This just shows how much perception plays a role in hearing, which is entirely in your head.
please explain er4pt to er4s. Thanks! :p

May 14, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #3,792 of 7,442
the increased ohmage will first force u to turn up the power to reach your listening vol...
the two counterforce of increased current n resistance puts the disphragm at a higher tensed state..
sensitivity to changes in soundsignals will be heightened...
resulting in improved transient response to musical startstops
more layered bass, better instrument separation...
soundstage echoing cues will be picked up,  esp on complex music
which induces delirium to the listener :p

May 14, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #3,794 of 7,442
the increased ohmage will first force u to turn up the power to reach your listening vol...
the two counterforce of increased current n resistance puts the disphragm at a higher tensed state..
sensitivity to changes in soundsignals will be heightened...
resulting in improved transient response to musical startstops
more layered bass, better instrument separation...
soundstage echoing cues will be picked up,  esp on complex music
which induces delirium to the listener :p
lmao delirium :p more like critical listening. Quite a handful agree there is a difference so do you mean we are all delusional.

May 14, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #3,795 of 7,442
delirium..delirium...where is my dictionary.... means outrageous enjoyment ...not delusion  :)))

i guess this goes back to those dt770 80ohms 250ohm 600ohms saga...lovvvve my 600ohm cans :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back