[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Mar 3, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #1,996 of 7,442
Dear Head-Fi'ers,

this is my first post! :) Have used these forums for years, but now wanted to contribute aswell! :)

Thanks to all the motivated people here who test and report and make the life of other listeners sweeter!

Am using both standfloors (Monitor audio BX5) and headphones (Superlux HD681 Evo) as my main gear, both connected to an Asus Xonar D1, the standfloors also amplified by an SMSL SA-36. For travelling I used to listen to the Yuin G2A, Sennheiser MX471 and 880.

Thanks to many reviews on this site, also had the chance to listen to the HiSoundAudio PAA-1, which had the bass I was long searching for in earbuds. The problem was, the mids and highs didn't sound nice and had some distorsion. But they were given to others as gifts back then :wink: I liked the Senns for details and especially the MX471 for build quality, but with the lows lacking, an important part of the music is missing.

After obtaining a tablet (Samsung Tab S2) and giving away the Yuin G2A as a gift (the Senns have been given away too :p), I was looking for something new. Having read many threads and posts on head-fi.org, I thought the VE Monk sounds really nice, so directly ordered three from AliExpress. Additionally one pair of both Edifier H180 and the Mrice E100 earbells have been ordered, hopefully all will arrive the coming 2-3 weeks. But due to luck, could find a local reseller on ebay for the.... VE Monk!! (= So there we go, payed 2-3 times the price to get an additional Monk earlier, but according to all the reviews it still should be worth the money.. was at least the thought here :)

Now to give back to the community, here my honest impressions of that VE Monk unit, which arrived today:

Being a lover of full spectrum frequency, from deep basses to the highest highs, I directly noticed the lack of several deeper frequencies (without foams). With foams you could spot some of them at least a little better, but "thundering bass" as advertised was not the case. Also in rememberence to the PAA1, which really surprised me back then, the bass is very much lacking in depth, volume and overall presence.

Coming to the mids, the suprise was clearly big, these Monks sound really superb!! The advertised "intoxicating vocals" can be underlined and for this performance alone the 5 dollars are very much worth it!

Then the highs, slightly intense, but with clarity, precision and an engaging joy, very nice!

Overall clarity and soundstage is superb, and the PRaT factor makes the whole package very much enjoyable!

I tried to enhance the missing low-end frequencies by equalizing with the Xonar, but was unable to do much. You can boost the bass a little, but then the driver itself can be heard :/

One more thing to be noticed, which makes the first unit I got unusable too: the volume-balance between left and right is 1:3, means the right channel is three times as loud :frowning2:. I very much hope that the 3 units which are on the way won't have this issue, as they were planned as gifts. Is this usual or bad luck, do we have statistics with the 5 dollar-production units? :)

Other than that, timbre, details, the fun factor make the Monk very much recommendable, but it should be clear, that the lower frequencies cannot even closely cover the full spectrum of what is normally present in music.

It would be interesting to know from head-fi'ers, if there are earbuds sounding like the Monk, but having a deeper reach too?

Thanks to all again,

greetings and enjoy :)

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #1,997 of 7,442
I have two ve monk earphones if anyone wants, post from eu

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #1,998 of 7,442
Dear Head-Fi'ers,

this is my first post! :) Have used these forums for years, but now wanted to contribute aswell! :)

Thanks to all the motivated people here who test and report and make the life of other listeners sweeter!

Am using both standfloors (Monitor audio BX5) and headphones (Superlux HD681 Evo) as my main gear, both connected to an Asus Xonar D1, the standfloors also amplified by an SMSL SA-36. For travelling I used to listen to the Yuin G2A, Sennheiser MX471 and 880.

Thanks to many reviews on this site, also had the chance to listen to the HiSoundAudio PAA-1, which had the bass I was long searching for in earbuds. The problem was, the mids and highs didn't sound nice and had some distorsion. But they were given to others as gifts back then :wink: I liked the Senns for details and especially the MX471 for build quality, but with the lows lacking, an important part of the music is missing.

After obtaining a tablet (Samsung Tab S2) and giving away the Yuin G2A as a gift (the Senns have been given away too :p), I was looking for something new. Having read many threads and posts on head-fi.org, I thought the VE Monk sounds really nice, so directly ordered three from AliExpress. Additionally one pair of both Edifier H180 and the Mrice E100 earbells have been ordered, hopefully all will arrive the coming 2-3 weeks. But due to luck, could find a local reseller on ebay for the.... VE Monk!! (= So there we go, payed 2-3 times the price to get an additional Monk earlier, but according to all the reviews it still should be worth the money.. was at least the thought here :)

Now to give back to the community, here my honest impressions of that VE Monk unit, which arrived today:

Being a lover of full spectrum frequency, from deep basses to the highest highs, I directly noticed the lack of several deeper frequencies (without foams). With foams you could spot some of them at least a little better, but "thundering bass" as advertised was not the case. Also in rememberence to the PAA1, which really surprised me back then, the bass is very much lacking in depth, volume and overall presence.

Coming to the mids, the suprise was clearly big, these Monks sound really superb!! The advertised "intoxicating vocals" can be underlined and for this performance alone the 5 dollars are very much worth it!

Then the highs, slightly intense, but with clarity, precision and an engaging joy, very nice!

Overall clarity and soundstage is superb, and the PRaT factor makes the whole package very much enjoyable!

I tried to enhance the missing low-end frequencies by equalizing with the Xonar, but was unable to do much. You can boost the bass a little, but then the driver itself can be heard :/

One more thing to be noticed, which makes the first unit I got unusable too: the volume-balance between left and right is 1:3, means the right channel is three times as loud :frowning2:. I very much hope that the 3 units which are on the way won't have this issue, as they were planned as gifts. Is this usual or bad luck, do we have statistics with the 5 dollar-production units? :)

Other than that, timbre, details, the fun factor make the Monk very much recommendable, but it should be clear, that the lower frequencies cannot even closely cover the full spectrum of what is normally present in music.

It would be interesting to know from head-fi'ers, if there are earbuds sounding like the Monk, but having a deeper reach too?

Thanks to all again,

greetings and enjoy :)
try Edifier h101,185, Suvov s10,20.. Cheap buds with good sound, IMHO
http://www.head-fi.org/t/441400/earbuds-round-up-update-april-25th-2015

Mar 4, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #1,999 of 7,442
  Dear Head-Fi'ers,

The PAA-1 was what drew me into earbuds and my first earphone as well. Its bass is waaay far away from neutral though, so you definitely won't find the same sound in the Monk. Around the same price range, the Awei ES10, Dasetn MC5, and Edifier H180/H185 will have similar bass quantity, but not as good bass extension. PAA-1's pretty much unbeatable if you want deep, emphasized bass. The Monk and E100 will have better quality bass, but will be more flat down there. If you're willing to pay, the Zen 2.0 with foams will have similar quantities of bass and far, far superior sound overall.

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #2,001 of 7,442
go to ZEN
smily_headphones1.gif
:sunglasses:

+2

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #2,003 of 7,442
Mar 4, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #2,005 of 7,442
Mar 4, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #2,006 of 7,442

Hi everyone!

Another ve fanboy here. Monks blow me away everyday. I also own hd600, he 400s and inear stagediver sd2, but the monks tick all of my boxes, so I don´t have the need to use the other cans.
So now I am about to pull the trigger on the fiio x7, because I want to give the monks the best source possible. And when lee is using the x7 himself, it can´t be too bad.....  :) 

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #2,008 of 7,442
Mar 4, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #2,009 of 7,442
Hi everyone!

Another ve fanboy here. Monks blow me away everyday. I also own hd600, he 400s and inear stagediver sd2, but the monks tick all of my boxes, so I don´t have the need to use the other cans.
So now I am about to pull the trigger on the fiio x7, because I want to give the monks the best source possible. And when lee is using the x7 himself, it can´t be too bad.....  :) 
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204388059901488&id=1830229655&set=gm.972513502826015&source=48&ref=bookmarks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back