[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Jan 11, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #1,295 of 7,442
Ok I'll get the 5 dollar one lol

I've Sennheiser MX685, they gave me tinnitus!

Nothing but happy endings for your eardrums with the Monks! :)

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #1,299 of 7,442
so far I'm really impressed with this $5 wonder..just unbelievable for this price. very open sounding, no congestion whatsoever. great low-end extension.. these might not be hi-fi sounding as $100+ options, but level of detail is unbeatable as a freaking $5 option...
the issue with these earbuds are, you seriously need to place them right in your ear, otherwise the sound signature will vary
;​
a lot.. if you place them too loose, all the frequencies will sound muted.. well..it took me some time to realize this because I'm using an earbud after a very long long time..  this is why I prefer using the monks without the included pads, they make them harder to keep in my ears. now they stick in my ears perfectly (without the pads).. personally I don't recommend using those included pads.. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #1,301 of 7,442
imo bass texture of these effected by a tinny sound characteristic which is hurting bass texture really bad most of the times. and there is also noticeable grittiness in the midrange and treble. and noticeable grainy characteristics due to the dry, gritty nature of these things. but just $5, we can't expect any miracles.

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #1,302 of 7,442
imo bass texture of these effected by a tinny sound characteristic which is hurting bass texture really bad most of the times. and there is also noticeable grittiness in the midrange and treble. and noticeable grainy characteristics due to the dry, gritty nature of these things. but just $5, we can't expect any miracles.

www.head-fi.org/products/venture-electronics-ve-zen-v2/reviews/14917 - this review indicates that there is a significant difference between using the monks with and without the covers. The frequency response seems to be in line with what you are experiencing - a weak tinny bass and a noticeably harsh midrange (due to their strong presence maybe?). I initially felt that the fit was better without the foams but I ran into a similar experience as you did. I switched to the donut foams yesterday and I see that the sound is definitely better. Do give the donut foams and try and see if that makes any difference for you.

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #1,303 of 7,442
www.head-fi.org/products/venture-electronics-ve-zen-v2/reviews/14917 - this review indicates that there is a significant difference between using the monks with and without the covers. The frequency response seems to be in line with what you are experiencing - a weak tinny bass and a noticeably harsh midrange (due to their strong presence maybe?). I initially felt that the fit was better without the foams but I ran into a similar experience as you did. I switched to the donut foams yesterday and I see that the sound is definitely better. Do give the donut foams and try and see if that makes any difference for you.

My experience is different. I started with the donuts, but couldn't get a good fit. I switched to the full covers. The only difference i can note is that the Monks aren't as bright with the full covers. I've not noticed any distortion with or without the covers. I prefer the sound with the full covers because I thought they were a tad to bright for my liking any way. YMMV, but i use the Monks with my X3II/Q1 stack (excellent combo BTW).

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #1,304 of 7,442

how dare u ... 

ermmm interesting... wat setup did u use.... was the monk naked or fully smouldered...  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back