[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Jun 4, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #4,278 of 7,442

Tried original Monk and other headphones with AT-HA5050H DAC/hybrid tube amp.
I was in 7th heaven !! 
etysmile.gif
 5990$ + 5$ combo 
biggrin.gif
, tremendous bass, very opened and balanced sound 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 4, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #4,279 of 7,442
Hi everyone! Been old user of this forum since 2010 but only now truly getting into the addiction... Had apple iem with two balanced armatures for a long time and thought it had a bright and thin sound but detailed nontheless, then recently bought the xiaomi hybrids and never looked back. Also bought the rock zircon and I like both for different reasons. As I'm always a budget price/performance buyer I also couldn't leave the monks big hype ignored. So I'm waiting impatiently for my pair which I should get next week as its siting on portuguese customs for some days... Do you guys thinks this will be a different experience from the already awsome hybrids and zircons?

Jun 4, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #4,280 of 7,442
defenitly different then hybird, i was 1 year user of piston 2.1 and bought hybird afterwords, and now monk, you will hear stuff you didnt hear, trust me. 

Jun 4, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #4,281 of 7,442
Just a heads up that the Massdrop of the red Monk Plus seXXy ends in about 10 hours or so.
So far 3248 units purchased and the group made a total savings of $32.
cool.gif

If you live in Europe and think the shipping fee is "high" compared to the price of the buds, just add some extra buds to the order. The shipping fee will only increase marginally. Two buds to Sweden will be $9.98 (seXXy buds) and $6.25 (shipping). Total: $16.23

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/venture-electronics-monk-plus-earbud

Jun 4, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #4,282 of 7,442

The Monk+ sound very good with tubes.  Took the Fitz-improved Bada PH-12 out of mothballs and slapped together a listening station.  The controversial Synergistic Research HOT, followed by DakiOm F-273, then a 75 ohm impedance plug [which did eliminate the audible hum for both the Monks and the Mikros 90].  Alongside, protruding from the tandem headphone out is the EVS Ground Enhancer.  Raytheon 6SN7GTB driver and two "premium" 6H8C Russian tubes.  Columbia Legacy remaster of The Byrds: The Notorious Byrd Brothers sounds very good with the Monks.

Jun 4, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #4,284 of 7,442
Just ordered six on MassDrop for some of the students in my summer Statistics class!

The days of Statistics classes...had to take different versions in college, and in my final semester of grad school, had to take a methods class...which was basically more Statistics!

To keep the thread on track, looking forward to the MPER!

Jun 4, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #4,285 of 7,442
The days of Statistics classes...had to take different versions in college, and in my final semester of grad school, had to take a methods class...which was basically more Statistics!

To keep the thread on track, looking forward to the MPER!

BTW, how is the HifiMAN HE-350?  They are selling on MassDrop for $99.95 right now.

Jun 4, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #4,286 of 7,442
BTW, how is the HifiMAN HE-350?  They are selling on MassDrop for $99.95 right now.

My review of the Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 explains aspects of the headphone and my overall observations, here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/massdrop-x-hifiman-he350/reviews/15914.

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #4,287 of 7,442
Hi guys, recently got my hands on the monks+. Sounds really well considering its price. Until a buddy of mine borrowed and gave it a try for himself. It was too late as he was blasting the monks at full volume bassy track, 120 volume from my X3ii. Now it sounds really different, it turned dark. Mids are recessed. Wondering if he managed to fry the drivers. Can anyone enlighten me please? Thank you!

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #4,288 of 7,442
That monk has moved over to the dark side.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back