[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
May 30, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #4,172 of 7,442

I wanna something like massdrop x title also

and they won't let me have it and I gotta be honest and say that I am not happy about it ~

but I am doing it so that guys from north american can have a easier time to get their first Monk. ( or their 21st lol)

So I compromised a little bit.

cheers

Lee

This is the first time I'm talking to you, but thank you for doing this for the community!  I actually like the title on Massdrop right now - no worries in that regard (exclusive sounds nice).

I have heard about VE for quite a while here on Head-Fi, but never had anyone bring one to any of the meets that I have attended.  When I saw the Monk Plus available in the exclusive red color on Massdrop, I thought "why not?"  I will be able to listen to a VE product for the very first time.  Plus, these earbuds will be a very good gift to give to multiple people who have helped me along my journey to obtain my Teaching Credential and Master of Arts.  I purchased the maximum number of 10 of the Venture Electronics Monk Plus Earbuds Exclusive Red.  

ProTip - Even though shipping is $3 if you purchase 1, the price of shipping only goes up a little as you increase the number of purchased VEMPEER (or Monk Plus Exclusive Red for short).  I wound up paying $5 shipping for 10 MPERs!  I'll take it as what I saved in adding more MPERs, I saved in shipping - kind of like getting several MPERs for free!  At least, that's how I would like to think of it.

Nice to join the team/club/family!

May 30, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #4,173 of 7,442

ProTip - Even though shipping is $3 if you purchase 1, the price of shipping only goes up a little as you increase the number of purchased VEMPEER (or Monk Plus Exclusive Red for short).  I wound up paying $5 shipping for 10 MPERs!  I'll take it as what I saved in adding more MPERs, I saved in shipping - kind of like getting several MPERs for free!  At least, that's how I would like to think of it.

Nice to join the team/club/family!

Welcome!

1427 1432 sold! Can't resist me some red hot Monk+'s as well. Great stuff Lee!

May 30, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #4,174 of 7,442

Welcome!

1427 1432 sold! Can't resist me some red hot Monk+'s as well. Great stuff Lee!

Thanks!  Looks like you just joined as well!

1438 sold as of this post.  At least 2000 units should be sold by the time the drop ends.  We will see...

May 30, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #4,175 of 7,442
Thanks!  Looks like you just joined as well!

Indeed! The Monks aren't like normal gear - I start getting nervous when I get to less than 5 pairs lying around lol. After giving some away etc, I was at the threshold, so it was buy time!

May 30, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #4,176 of 7,442
Indeed! The Monks aren't like normal gear - I start getting nervous when I get to less than 5 pairs lying around lol. After giving some away etc, I was at the threshold, so it was buy time!

Wow, less than 5 pairs and you've got to get more...nice!  I counted 8 that I was going to give away, so I'll have 2 left over.  What I may do, though, is listen to them all and pick the ones that sound the best to my ears.  It's served me well in the past with other headphones.

May 30, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #4,177 of 7,442
any chance of having a carbon fiber skin?
smile.gif

May 30, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #4,179 of 7,442
They work great but not worth the cost when you could buy a second mp lol

Oo I did order 2nd pair monk+ with ex pack, while already ordered hiegi.. LOL but good to have different kind of donut IMO 

May 30, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #4,180 of 7,442
I received my monk+ today. I tried them on my ear with the thin foams, my source is Iphone 6 & Dacport Slim. All these following impression is with my Dacport. The sound in general is quite difference compare to full foam original monk. The sound is thin, mid is dry, lacking that smoothness touch of the original monk, highs are shouty, bass is lacking comparing to original monk, I listened to Neil Young - Cortez The Killer and could not stand the whole song, poor performance. I then put on the full foam, the sound is now balanced, no more high sharpness, the mid bass is also improved tho sub bass is shallow, almost non existed. Details and separation are good, also the expansive sound stage is nice. I don't like the monk+ with my Iphone 6, the sound is too dry and analytical. 

May 30, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #4,181 of 7,442
Ya...not great on my fren's iPhone 6 too ...

And do let the youngbutterfly dry its wings for 50 hours..:D

May 30, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #4,182 of 7,442
I received my monk+ today. I tried them on my ear with the thin foams, my source is Iphone 6 & Dacport Slim. All these following impression is with my Dacport. The sound in general is quite difference compare to full foam original monk. The sound is thin, mid is dry, lacking that smoothness touch of the original monk, highs are shouty, bass is lacking comparing to original monk, I listened to Neil Young - Cortez The Killer and could not stand the whole song, poor performance. I then put on the full foam, the sound is now balanced, no more high sharpness, the mid bass is also improved tho sub bass is shallow, almost non existed. Details and separation are good, also the expansive sound stage is nice. I don't like the monk+ with my Iphone 6, the sound is too dry and analytical. 

These are just early impressions I guess and I assume your old Monk has fully burned in so you should better burn the new Monk plus for at least 20 hours before making a fair comparison. Btw, the new Monk plus is not too far from the old Monk for me.

May 30, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #4,185 of 7,442
About 2 weeks now using monk+ almost exclusively. However I always felt that monk missing something. Presence. It excels in timbre and textured but not much presence even with binaural albums.

So today I experiment with eq and raise 8khz a few dB. And also 4khz just a notch. To my surprise monk eq really well and there it is. The presence that I crave for. It's crazy but now I enjoy monk more than ever. A few dB raise, enough presence and not a hint of sibilance. Wonderful!!! Across the frequency everything more VISIBLE and abundant of PRAT! Crazy....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back