2019 Roon Thread - is it worth it?
Jan 27, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #46 of 166
As far as i know. They dont ever have promotions or coupons.

At one point Oppo had a 3 month free trial code which I used to evaluate Roon and then dump it. I'm not sure if that counts as a promotion or coupon but there was something.

May 13, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #47 of 166
Been a Roon Lifetime member since April 2017. What a fantastic Product this is. Absolutely terrific. I have been introduced to so many new bands and artists over the years here. Started off With an Mac Mini as a core. The last year my core has been running on an Intel NUC With ROCK as the main core. My setup is Hegel Röst With a Bluesound Node 2i. A Hegel H90 With a Bluesound 2i and 2 Bluesound Pulse P300. I also use a Hiby R3 With Focal Elegia. All With a Tidal HiFi membership for Master quality (MQA). Synology NAS 414 for my .flac files. I have also had the chance to test Dragonfly Black V1.2 V1.5, Dragonfly Red, Dragonfly Cobalt, Pro-Ject Pre S2 Digital and Chord Mojo over the last 3 years.

May 13, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #48 of 166
Been a Roon Lifetime member since April 2017. What a fantastic Product this is. Absolutely terrific. I have been introduced to so many new bands and artists over the years here. Started off With an Mac Mini as a core. The last year my core has been running on an Intel NUC With ROCK as the main core. My setup is Hegel Röst With a Bluesound Node 2i. A Hegel H90 With a Bluesound 2i and 2 Bluesound Pulse P300. I also use a Hiby R3 With Focal Elegia. All With a Tidal HiFi membership for Master quality (MQA). Synology NAS 414 for my .flac files. I have also had the chance to test Dragonfly Black V1.2 V1.5, Dragonfly Red, Dragonfly Cobalt, Pro-Ject Pre S2 Digital and Chord Mojo over the last 3 years.
I use Roon every day in a variety of setups, it's fantastic. The only other software I use is Jriver and dbPoweramp for ripping CD's...

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #49 of 166
Roon has simply transformed the way I listen to music. It's absolutely awesome, and IMO is well worth the money!

Jul 14, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #52 of 166
Roon is very good. I don't like dealing with the queue, though. I don't like how it shows you skipped a section (who cares, it just clutters things up). Also, can't do playlists on the fly. Can't listen to music all night and then have that become a playlist as easily as you can on Sonos.

They need to steal some of Sonos' ease.

Then, it will be perfect.

Jul 15, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #53 of 166
Roon is very good. I don't like dealing with the queue, though. I don't like how it shows you skipped a section (who cares, it just clutters things up). Also, can't do playlists on the fly. Can't listen to music all night and then have that become a playlist as easily as you can on Sonos.

They need to steal some of Sonos' ease.

Then, it will be perfect.

Got Sonos as well, it’s rather user friendly I have to say!

Jul 15, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #55 of 166
Roon sounds identical to Kazoo in my Linn setup.

Dec 7, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #56 of 166
I have been reading quite a number of reports in various web places lately, all coming to the conclusion that Roon RAAT is audibly inferior to other audio transport software. For one, some people say sound quality gets improved by using Squeezelite as the output end with Roon. Others say that Music Player Daemon (MPD) simply provides one of the best sound qualities; Roon would just not talk to it at all. Another observation is that foobar2000 simply is bit-perfect all the way when set up to do so. A common problem with many reports on comparing Roon to others is that ”ceteris paribus“ is not obeyed, meaning that those people change more components (like interconnection or network types, computers, servers, cables) in their comparisons, not just Roon software versus another software.

I would like to ask folks here whether you can say ”yes“ or ”no“ to statements like ”Roon RAAT sounds inferior as compared to XYZ“. Understandably, it seems to be difficult to find concise and open discussions of this issue on the Roon Forum; maybe I didn‘t search long enough.

Dec 7, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #57 of 166
Soundwise, I like Audirvana the best. It helps too that it is a much cheaper solution than Roon.

However if Roon will give me an other trail version (which they won't), I can test again with the latest Roon version.

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #58 of 166
I have been reading quite a number of reports in various web places lately, all coming to the conclusion that Roon RAAT is audibly inferior to other audio transport software. For one, some people say sound quality gets improved by using Squeezelite as the output end with Roon. Others say that Music Player Daemon (MPD) simply provides one of the best sound qualities; Roon would just not talk to it at all. Another observation is that foobar2000 simply is bit-perfect all the way when set up to do so. A common problem with many reports on comparing Roon to others is that ”ceteris paribus“ is not obeyed, meaning that those people change more components (like interconnection or network types, computers, servers, cables) in their comparisons, not just Roon software versus another software.

I would like to ask folks here whether you can say ”yes“ or ”no“ to statements like ”Roon RAAT sounds inferior as compared to XYZ“. Understandably, it seems to be difficult to find concise and open discussions of this issue on the Roon Forum; maybe I didn‘t search long enough.
For me, sound quality using Roon is noticeably superior to using Squeezelite.

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #59 of 166
Love Roon -- interface is wildly better than anything else in my opinion (have used JRiver, Foobar, Minimserver, Kazoo, Lumin). Using NUCi5 running Roon core feeding NUCi7 running HQPlayer.

Dec 11, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #60 of 166
Noob here. Anyone try a Roon Nucleus?
Once I unload some gear my goal is to invest in a streamer. It's hard work trying to digest all of the terminology. Learning about headphones, DACs and amplifiers was much simpler :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back