2019 Roon Thread - is it worth it?
Oct 3, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #31 of 166
I tried the 30 day trial (or whatever it was) and then bought the lifetime version. I absolutely love it!!! The album info, artwork, etc...take me back to high school and buying records!

Oct 5, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #32 of 166
I jumped on the Roon train shortly after receiving a demo from the team at Elac. I started with the trial and after a couple of days jumped right into the lifetime version. This was all prior to release of version 1.6. There were some annoying issues but, I saw what was available and more importantly the potential of what it could become so I took the chance. Since owning it, my world has been opened to musical genres I would not have considered before. The catalog of genres I already enjoyed grew substantially as well.

I currently run a Roon Core as a virtual machine on ESX. My FLAC file library sits on a Freenas SMB share. The VM is configured with two vCPU's and 4GB of RAM. I use DSP and up-sampling functions on occasion and it barely breaks a sweat. For my end points I use Raspberry Pi's. My primary endpoint uses an Allo Digione, the secondary endpoint uses a Hifiberry Digi+. The entire setup has been pretty bullet proof and overall I don't have many complaints.

If I had something to complain about it would be album identification. At times it can feel a bit cumbersome to deal with. One thing I've noticed is that if your source files are named, tagged, and labeled properly to start then Roon does a better job of identifying your music library. I have a fairly modest sized library so I've been able to work around some quirks. I also own a copy of JRiver. Before adding albums to Roon I make sure the metadata is correct in JRiver. This has worked well for me.

Dec 28, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #34 of 166
My Christmas present to myself was an Innuos Zen Mini Mk III with external linear power supply. This operates as a Roon core and server and also rips CDs to its internal memory.
I'm completely new to Roon and enjoying it greatly. The Qobuz integration works very well and I've ripped some CDs to fill in a few gaps in the catalogue.

This has freed up my Bluesound Node 2 to use in another room, via Roon.

The sound quality of the Innuos unit, into a Chord Qutest, is a small step up from the Node 2 but we're very much into the law of diminishing returns here. The Innuos has an internal DAC that I've not tried yet.

Tidal are currently offering a 5 months for 5 pounds deal in the UK, compared to 25 pounds a month for Qobuz so a switch beckons!

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #35 of 166
I went for the lifetime after several trials. Its just Great. Using it from imac with usb to my setup with usb.

It also gives higher volume from my ipad than the tidal app does.

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #37 of 166
If you have the money to spend, its worth it. Its not much compared to an high end rig. Its basically not much more than a set of good headphonecables. But ofcourse everyone must descide what they spend on. each for their own.

Dec 31, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #38 of 166
No support for WD NAS. That leaves me out. I like the concept but I'd be reluctant to pony up $700 for an online service. All in one lump anyway. If history is any indication, they tend to come and go with the wind. If they would come up with a reasonable monthly subscription fee, like Plex, I might migrate to a QNAP.

Dec 31, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #39 of 166
For now only on annual sub because I hope something better will come up....apart from that I love it.

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #40 of 166
My QNAP NAS provides free software for streaming; QMusic for Android and Music Station for Windows. I stream to an sMs-200 music renderer, a Raspberry Pi, a couple of Chromecast Audio dongles, two TV's, phone, tablet and laptops. I can play any system independently of the others. I can play Chromecast Audio in a group, which covers the main floor and lower level.

I ripped my vinyl at 24/88.2 and all my CD's to zero compression FLAC. All were tagged automatically by the ripping software I used. By far I listen to my own collection, but I subscribe to Google Play Music and YouTube Music to hear new music. Wikipedia and allmusic.com tell me everything I need to know about the music and artists, including the gossip. I see no reason to pay for Roon.

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #41 of 166
Does anybody know of any ongoing Roon promotions? I have just this afternoon discovered Roon and immediately love it so I'm eyeing the annual subscription once the trial ends.

I'm coming from Audirvana (Qobuz streaming) but have found myself listening to the same music over and over.

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #42 of 166
As far as i know. They dont ever have promotions or coupons.

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #44 of 166
I stared using Roon this past October. I really enjoyed it with the trial but thought it was quite pricey. I cancelled after the trial period and was sent a survey asking why. After explaining my hesitation with the price, I got an email offering me an extra 3 months for the annual subscription price plus 3 months of Tidal HiFi free. That pushed me into it and I’ll evaluate if my love continues after 15 months.

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #45 of 166
I stared using Roon this past October. I really enjoyed it with the trial but thought it was quite pricey. I cancelled after the trial period and was sent a survey asking why. After explaining my hesitation with the price, I got an email offering me an extra 3 months for the annual subscription price plus 3 months of Tidal HiFi free. That pushed me into it and I’ll evaluate if my love continues after 15 months.

Oh, nice one.

So far I like it enough that I'm happy to part with the full £90 or so as it is here in the UK, I was just curious whether I could pay less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back