2018 - Warm & smooth IEMs advice - 400-500$ range
Mar 22, 2018 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Stasik

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow Headfiers ! Not really new around here but I forgot the creds of my old account :)

I am looking for advice regarding a new pair of IEMs and because tech tends to evolve quite fast, and new brands pop around all the time, I couldn't really find convincing information about what I am looking for.

A bit about myself : My first real pair of IEMs were Westone 3s, which were great at the time. They where mostly inline what I listened to (Pop, TripHop, Variety, Hip hop and classic in that order), were robust (Snowboarded and cycled a lot with them) and had a great fit. Unfortunately I lost them a while ago.
Ensued a lonnnng and distressful period where I couldn't afford a great pair and was mostly using crappy headphones.
As things improved I thought about getting another good pair, and because I was close to startups, I went for a pair of Advanced Model 3. A pretty good bang for the buck at first sight. But It turned out Bluetooth wasn't my thing; sound while being okay was not blowing me away and quality was subpar (got two pairs, the two eventually broke within a couple months of office use).
So, I am now in the market for something better. That blows my socks off in a 400-500$ range, could be more or less.

What I am looking for :
- Warm & smooth IEMS with great sound stage and good detail. I own a VIFA Oslo speaker and that kind of sound signature is really what I am after.
- Durability : My advanced Model 3 had MMCX connectors. I found the connector to be weak and difficult to remove without bending it. Might only be with my model 3 though. Sweat is also a concern, as I don't want to buy sporty stuff.
- Good sound isolation & low profile.
- 3 drivers (not sure how important this is).

How I listen to Music :
I mostly listen to music on my android phone or on my mac. Only part of my library is lossless, for the rest, I use Spotify, so 320kbps...
I don't use an external DAC and don't have any plans to use one yet.

What I considered :
- Earsonics : I had a look at them first, because at the time my dream earphones were SM3. But then they got discontinued.
According to testers ES3 are rather on the cold side, better for monitoring. Apparently the SM64, would fit, but they've been around for so long, and I am not sure whether they got an upgrade. Velvets are also a good choice but too expensive especially with regards to my needs.
- Cambridge Audio : They seem bulky and heavy
- Westone : MMCX + They get mixed reviews.
- Dunu : MMCX + Dont really know about them.
- Hifiman : Too high profile.
- Noble : I had a look at the Sage, looks a bit bulky and has only two drivers, but people seem to be raving about it.

Is the way I listen to music worth spending so much on IEMs ? What would you recommend on this basis ?

Thank you for your help.

Stasik

Mar 22, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 8
I don't think you should dismiss all MMCX connectors outright as competent MMCX connectors are perfectly trustworthy IMO.
The two I love in this price range are the Sage, which you mentioned, and the Campfire Polaris. Both are terrific. Maybe read about them and see what you think. It is possible one could work for you. Oh, and btw, don't get caught up in how many drivers the IEM has. IMO, there are some terrific units with just a couple of drivers and some not very good ones with several drivers. What matters isn't the number, it is the implementation and quality of them.

Mar 22, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks Serman, that is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. What would you recommend MMCX preferences aside ? Does my list reflect the sound signature I am looking for ? Cheers. S

Mar 22, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 8
You have some good ones on your list and different people have different preferences, but I have a soft spot for the Noble and the Campfire at this price-point, personally. And if I had to pick just one of the two, I would probably pick the Sage. It is to me just a little more smooth and detailed than the Polaris. The Dunu DK-3001 is also quite good but I think it will be too bright for you (not particularly warm, IMO).

Mar 22, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 8
In Ear StageDiver 2 (2 Balanced Armature Driver). Very good soundstage and details. The presentation is smooth but might not as warm as Shure or Noble, slightly darker.

Mar 23, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 8
Hi Stasik,

Some good ones have already been recommended here already but I will add mine in no particular order :
Some below will fall under your price range but still worth looking at as has the sort of sound you're after (some may disagree on the sound but this is my subjective opinion)
Also keep in mind some will not have both sound characteristics you are looking for in equal measure & all are definitely source dependant.

Audio Technica E 70
Meze 12 Classics
iBasso IT 01
Periodic Beryllium

I will add New Primacy with their Affinity upgrade cable pushes up the warmth nicely.

In the end, only you can make a decision on what you like & eventually chose, if possible, try to demo all the ones suggested on this thread & trust your own ears, no one else's.

Hope you have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back