2018 Spring Fujiya Avic Headphone Festival in Tokyo
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #17 of 27
I think, to a degree, when the mids end up more forward one feels there is less of a soundstage, but possibly a better description was it felt like I'd moved a few rows forward. I think though that with their current FR they aren't ever going to feel like they have a pronounced soundstage anyway.

Sad to hear you weren't a fan of the ZMF Family, I think in a quieter setting you might appreciate the better extension the Eikon has! It's not at all rolled off but rather quite the opposite

It might have been my selection of music to a degree. I liked them, but went quickly through a selection of tracks to get their rough FR. It'd be interesting in the future to have a pair here for actual review.

Thank you for the report Amos. It really help us that don't have opportunity to attend the show.
Is there any Shangrila Jr on display at the show?

Cheers. I don't think there was, or else I didn't see it.

May 3, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #18 of 27
I checked them out at e-earphone. They are sold here by a distributor. I tried the TOTL model but the tips they had on their made the treble sound less than ideal.

e-earphone is where I got my Mojo years ago.

Would you consider e-earphone to be Tokyo's current best retail store for hi-fi headphone and portable dac gear right now?
I visited Yamagiwa last time and they no longer had the 4th floor dedicated to luxury hi-fi

May 4, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #21 of 27
May 5, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #22 of 27
Thank you very much. I think it’s time to catch up with the series again.

I always think that music and manga go together. Some mangaka lists the music they listen to when drawing a particular volume. Some even provides background songs which fit with the characters in their books.
Plus Mandarake is just next door to Nakano Sun Plaza.

May 7, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #23 of 27
Every show we get people with weird and wonderful portable rigs. This guy I reported on last show, and since then he has upgraded. His source is an S&P1000 encased in a hand-built copper case connected to a JVC DAC/amp. The rest of the amps are daisy-chained. Why? I have no idea. But sitting at the Meze table the guys were surprised to say the least. Now I think of it, I should have had a listen. It would have been interesting.

Holy crap that portable rig :fearful:

Just... whyyy..

I'd love to see what that stack would actually have cost him... probably would've been cheaper to just run a desktop dac/amp strapped to a few battery banks!

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #24 of 27
Hi guys,

Sorry for being off-topic.
I'm living in Japan now and I'm planning to import a DIY T2 that I have on order.
Do any of you have any experience importing expensive gear to Japan?
I'd like to know how customs work here and what kind of precautions I should take.

Any input will be very welcome!

Thanks,
Hugo

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #25 of 27
Yes. Don't try and import anything valued at over $2k. The answer to your next question is exactly what you think it is. :)

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #26 of 27
Yes. Don't try and import anything valued at over $2k. The answer to your next question is exactly what you think it is. :)

Thanks for your valuable input!
If the item is valued under $2k, do you know what percentage they will charge me over the declared value, if any?
Also, is the customs form enough, or do I have to include an receipt into the box?
Thanks again!
PS: I’ve tried to reach you via PM, but I’m afraid your privacy settings won’t allow me.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #27 of 27
Thanks for your valuable input!
If the item is valued under $2k, do you know what percentage they will charge me over the declared value, if any?

I've just found it out. The calculation is quite complicated. Short story: 8.04% of the item's value.

Long story:

1. Taxable amount = 60% x item's value. The taxable amount should be no greater than ¥200,000 for simplified taxation (which means that the item can cost up to ¥333,333).
2. Customs tariff rate for electronic devices (which fall into the "others" category of the simplified taxation law): 5%. Customs duties: 5% x taxable amount = 5% x 60% x item's value = 3% x item's value. So, the effective tariff rate is 3%.
3. Consumption tax rate: 8%. This is applied over the sum taxable amount + customs duties. So, it's 8% x (taxable amount + customs duties) = 8% x (60% x item's value + 3% x item's value) = 5.04% x item's value. Then, the effective consumption tax is 5.04%.
4. Finally, the total duty is the effective tariff rate + effective consumption tax = 3% + 5.04% = 8.04%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back