2017 UK Head-Fi Meet (April 2nd @ Milton Keynes)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 17, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #421 of 693
On the contrary i thought it was very accessible. Just my kind of new wave style music. I hope you get to do some more original stuff

​Thanks. We are learning and playing covers for our gigs, 70s - 00s, everything from Creedence Clearwater Revival to Cranberries, but hope Steve (our bass player) can come up with another song!

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #422 of 693
COMPETITION UPDATE - IT'S VOTING TIME!

I've listened to every competition submission and have drawn up a shortlist of 3 artistes/albums that I found to be the most musically enjoyable - which is a highly subjective and unscientific methodology but nevermind. There'll also be a fourth wildcard entry because I like the track and he's a head-fier!  
wink.gif

Robert Reed - Sanctuary II               Entered by Takeanidea  in post#333

Foy Vance - The Wild Swan               Entered by Jackpot77    in post#343

Shearwater - Jet Plane & Oxbow      Entered by Ithilstone     in post#390 

Wildcard entry:

Risky Notes - I'm Gonna Cry            Entered by AndrewH13   in post#412

To vote rank the entries in order of preference assigning a 4 to your favourite choice and so on. Submit your votes publically in this thread or send me a P.M. if you're more the Secret Squirrel type. Obviously competition finalists cannot vote for their own submissions.

Voting example:    1st choice/favourite is Risky Notes so it receives 4 points
                               2nd choice is Foy Vance so it receives 3 points
                               3rd choice is Shearwater so it receives 2 points
                               4th choice is Robert Reed so it receives 1 point

I hope that the voting process is straightforward enough. The artiste/group to accrue the most points wins. Voting will end on Sunday 19th March at 20:00 GMT. 
Thanks to all the competition entrants for their eclectic submissions. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #425 of 693
The IMS Hybrid Headphone DAC/Amp is now in my hands. I have been using it on OTG. It's working and looking beautiful. More to come

Where did you get that from, Trev? Was tracking the amp only version on eBay recently but didn't pull the trigger in time.

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #426 of 693
It was a prize in an earlier meet thread competition. :) Please refer to post#251.

Where did you get that from, Trev? Was tracking the amp only version on eBay recently but didn't pull the trigger in time.

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #429 of 693
  COMPETITION UPDATE - IT'S VOTING TIME!

There'll also be a fourth wildcard entry because I like the track and he's a head-fier!  
wink.gif

You've made my day by entering us! Rest of 'Risky Notes' chuffed as well.

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #430 of 693

IMS Hybrid Valve Headphone Amplifier inc Dac module

This thing is great! 

As I put it through it's paces I find to my surprise it powers some of my slightly posher headphones

Yes the HD800 with my neutrik minijack is being powered on low gain with 2/3rds volume and the volume at -6.7dB on  Audivarna+. Crazy! I'm not entirely sure I'm getting much more from my Mojo. Another picture.

Military grade valves, and a FLAC 384 DSD 128 capable DAC. What's not to like? 

Give me a few minutes and I'll get a Stranglers / Risky Business comparison up for you. I'll put a minute of I'm Gonna Cry and a minute of a bit of No More Heroes recorded on the headphone outs of the Fostex HPA4 BL Dac/Amp and the IMS Hybrid Valave Dac/Amp. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #431 of 693
RIP Chuck Berry

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #432 of 693
Mar 18, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #433 of 693
One of the all time most influential. Truly a monolith of rock & roll. I bet he performed to the end.

He recently announced his first album in 38 years. Sadly not to be. Loved You Never Can Tell / Teenage Wedding from Pulp Fiction.

Gave up learning intro to Johnny B Goode, just too hard! Very underated guitarist.

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #434 of 693
The problem with the competition was I couldn't decide a top one/three or ten to recommend in time.
And once I started confirming 2016/7 releases on Bandcamp I kept getting distracted. I did finish up with another 17 albums today :)

My musical tastes dont suit everyone but after stripping out the black, death and doom metal I did find three that others might enjoy
Post-metal band Caspian are a recent discovery. Dust and Disquiet was however a late 2015 release https://caspiantheband.bandcamp.com/track/arcs-of-command
Nova Collective's new album The Further Side came out this week - progressive rock/jazz fusion https://novacollectivefusion.bandcamp.com/track/dancing-machines
For jazz piano you cant beat Tigran Hamasyan - his new album An Ancient Observer is out at end of this month - looking forward to his London concert
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP7YArQsDFY

I'll listen to the 4 finalists again and try not the get distracted before voting

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #435 of 693
Username​
Selection​
Rank​
Points​
Takeanidea​
Robert Reed - Sanctuary II​
4​
1​
Jackpot77​
Foy Vance - The Wild Swan​
2​
3​
Ithilstone​
Shearwater - Jet Plane & Oxbow​
1​
4​
AndrewH13​
Risky Notes - I'm Gonna Cry​
3​
2​

I'm keeping a spreadsheet of votes. My votes make it a 3 way tie for tops! Better get your vote on. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back