2017 UK Head-Fi Meet (April 2nd @ Milton Keynes)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #436 of 693
Robert Reed - 4 points
Shearwater - 3 points
Risky Notes - 2 points
(and I'm presuming my own entry gets 1 point automatically, as per Trev 's initial voting?)

Wonder if anyone is voting via PM?

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #437 of 693
I hadn't considered silent voters or points for own entries. From the contest rules I had assumed that we couldn't give our own entries any points. Also we want lots of comments in the thread as it ups or chances of event promotion by HeadFi. Andy did say Secret Squirrel types were fine, I guess I just read what I wanted to read.

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #438 of 693
"Also we want lots of comments in the thread as it ups or chances of event promotion by HeadFi."

If this is true, why is the Canjam Social thread on the front page-with 15 pages and this thread isn't - with 30 pages !!

You don't think there's some explanation for this???

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #439 of 693
I'm closely monitoring this thread and will announce the winning entry when all votes (both public and via P.M.) have been counted. Obviously competition finalists cannot vote for their own submission. 

Quote:

Username​
Selection​
Rank​
Points​
Takeanidea​
Robert Reed - Sanctuary II​
4​
1​
Jackpot77​
Foy Vance - The Wild Swan​
2​
3​
Ithilstone​
Shearwater - Jet Plane & Oxbow​
1​
4​
AndrewH13​
Risky Notes - I'm Gonna Cry​
3​
2​

I'm keeping a spreadsheet of votes. My votes make it a 3 way tie for tops! Better get your vote on. :wink:

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #440 of 693
Will the secret squirrels match the HeadFi hollerers? We'll find out tomorrow! Who will be Secret Squirrels? Will known attendees jump into the voting spotlight?

All this and more in this week's edition of the Milky Meet Daily Froth!

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #441 of 693
Before the Cambridge meet two years ago I was happy with just my DAP and iems. Then tried Hugo as my DAP did not have enough power for the demo top Grado and HD800s.  Ended up buying the Chord Hugo as I then found it made such a big difference when I connected my Sennheiser ie800s! So there went my reckoning that iems didn't need better DAC or Amp. And two weeks later took advantage of show discount and added the HD800 to make even more use of the Hugo.

This year, I'm going to ask a simple question at the meet. I'm now happy with my portable-sized setups, iBasso DX90/Mojo/Noble Katana and Fiio X5/Hugo/Grado 325 or HD800. But I only use in my lounge or bedside. What can a large desktop amp or DAC add that many of you have?   Hoping it doesn't cost me as much as last year!

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #442 of 693
  Before the Cambridge meet two years ago I was happy with just my DAP and iems. Then tried Hugo as my DAP did not have enough power for the demo top Grado and HD800s.  Ended up buying the Chord Hugo as I then found it made such a big difference when I connected my Sennheiser ie800s! So there went my reckoning that iems didn't need better DAC or Amp. And two weeks later took advantage of show discount and added the HD800 to make even more use of the Hugo.

This year, I'm going to ask a simple question at the meet. I'm now happy with my portable-sized setups, iBasso DX90/Mojo/Noble Katana and Fiio X5/Hugo/Grado 325 or HD800. But I only use in my lounge or bedside. What can a large desktop amp or DAC add that many of you have?   Hoping it doesn't cost me as much as last year!

My signature has an amp for sale, the Airist Audio Heron 5. It is a beautiful match for the HD800--not so much for any IEM (I'd be afraid of damaging them). If it hasn't sold before then, you'll be able to check it out. Your Mojo is also more capable than your Hugo, but I don't think it gets the most out of the HD800 (some will disagree). Honestly, if you are just using the portable Hugo as your DAC/Amp, your HD800 aren't performing at their full capabilities.

I am hoping to have a Questyle CMA600i at the meet too.

In general, amping has the potential to give more full bass, greater instrument separation and bigger soundstage. Depending on the amp, it can also colour your sound--that goes for solid state and valve amps. 

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #443 of 693
  My signature has an amp for sale, the Airist Audio Heron 5. It is a beautiful match for the HD800--not so much for any IEM (I'd be afraid of damaging them). If it hasn't sold before then, you'll be able to check it out. I am hoping to have a Questyle CMA600i there too.

In general, amping has the potential to give more full bass, greater instrument separation and bigger soundstage. Depending on the amp, it can also colour your sound--that goes for solid state and valve amps. 

Thanks GM, would like to listen. I know from the Chord threads of the evil distortion that amps can add, LOL!  But listening with own ears is the only answer.  I'm not looking for more bass or a warmer sound, I already feel far too many products are adding to upper bass, and a warmer sound in the name of 'musicality' and analogue feel. I have a Roksan turntable and it's exciting and certainly not warm or bassy. 'Musical' to me is natural and neutral. When I stand weekly beside my drummer at band practice, cymbals are sharp and cutting, this is how I feel they should sound recorded!

But greater instrument separation and soundstage sounds nice.

Funny enough, when CD came in, I changed speakers three times, ending with Celestion SL6s in an effort to tame the nasty digital edge. Maybe my hearing approaching 60 is missing the top end, as now I long for extended treble and dislike anything rolled off or softened..

I'm possibly thinking of selling the HD800s, great on most genres but I find a little too wide and open on rock, if that makes sense?

Be very interested to hear the Questyle, the QP1R is my favourite DAP I've heard by far. Is there supposed to be a 'house' sound with the same amp technology?

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #444 of 693
Andrew if you feel the HD800 is too open and wide wait til you hear the AKG K1000s ! Mind you , they're ridiculous. A lot of us like the HiFiMan HE1000 and HE6 which are more pulled in. The Focal Elears is more pulled in but not as good tonally as the hd800 in my opinion. And the utopia is wide. I think the new Sony flagships are the ones I'd go for if i wanted a more realistic sound. The new mdrs are semi closed, from a 50 yr old to another 50 something I'd say they have all the sparkle you need without the huge wall of sound. The soundstage and upper transparency often go hand in hand but a semi or closed design will squash the soundstage in to more manageable proportions.

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #445 of 693
MEET T-SHIRT TIME

As it's exactly 2 weeks to the Milky Meet this doesn't allow enough time to collate T-shirt orders, print and post them without using the company's expedited shipping which is prohibitively expensive. So this year the meet T-shirts are D.I.Y. 

Yes folks, if you want a meet T-shirt you'll have to do it yourself! But don't panic as it's easy-peasy. I used www.spreadshirt.co.uk/ to upload Dillan's illustration - attached below - and produced this...

...which is the Men's Premium T-shirt. There are 17 garment colours to choose from and the sizes range from small to 5XL. Basically you click on `Create' (website top left) then `T-shirts' (under Clothing) then`Design T-shirts now' (turquoise box centre) then `Choose a product' (left side menu) then `Upload an image' and use the resizing arrow(s) to enlarge the illustration and position it. Pick the quantity, add to basket and checkout for £18.98 shipped. Easy Peasy! 
smile.gif

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #446 of 693

Originally Posted by glassmonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My signature has an amp for sale, the Airist Audio Heron 5. It is a beautiful match for the HD800--not so much for any IEM (I'd be afraid of damaging them). If it hasn't sold before then, you'll be able to check it out. I am hoping to have a Questyle CMA600i there too.

Thanks GM, would like to listen. I know from the Chord threads of the evil distortion that amps can add, LOL!  But listening with own ears is the only answer.  I'm not looking for more bass or a warmer sound, I already feel far too many products are adding to upper bass, and a warmer sound in the name of 'musicality' and analogue feel. I have a Roksan turntable and it's exciting and certainly not warm or bassy. Musical to be is natural and neutral. When I stand weekly beside my drummer at band practice, cymbals are sharp and cutting, this is how I feel they should sound recorded!

But greater instrument separation and soundstage sounds nice.

Funny enough, when CD came in, I changed speakers three times, ending with Celestion SL6s in an effort to tame the nasty digital edge. Maybe my hearing approaching 60 is missing the top end, as now I long for extended treble and dislike anything rolled off or softened..

I'm possibly thinking of selling the HD800s, great on most genres but I find a little too wide and open on rock, if that makes sense?

Be very interested to hear the Questyle, the QP1R is my favourite DAP I've heard by far. Is there supposed to be a 'house' sound with the same amp technology?

The HD800 needs a good match to sound its best and benefits greatly from some modification. Pedalhead, takeanidea, and dill3000 all have modded their HD800. Modding can bring the soundstage in, which makes the sound a bit better. The HD800 is now a relative bargain in HeadFi, much like the HD600 for neutral references. I wouldn't be so quick to sell it without trying modding, or a better amp match. I like stock sound, but modded is even better, and is reversible with the right mods. I'm not talking about changing bass quantity on amping, at least not with the Heron 5, but instead it improves bass quality. The Heron 5 also tamps down on the sometimes unruly treble of the HD800. If you like extended treble, I think you'll be wanting to try the CL1 from RHA, it's got it in spades.

Updated (?) Gear List:

Source and amplification
Airist Audio Heron 5 (if I still have it)
Questyle CMA600i (should have it next week, may or may not bring--it's big)
RHA DACAMP L1
ALO Continental v5 hybrid portable amplifier
Aune M1S
Echobox Explorer
HiFiMan SuperMini

Headphones
IEMs
Unique Melody Miracle v2 IEMs
Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered (these are customs)
Noble Kaiser Encore
Empire Ears/Effect Audio Arthur/Excalibur (this is an IEM and cable manufacturer collaboration)[This one depends on permission from manufacturer]
RHA CL1
RHA CL750
1MORE E1001 Triple Drivers
Meze 11 Neo
Meze 12 Classics

Full Size
HD600 with WyWires Red Balanced Cable
Meze 99 Classics (with balanced cable)
Mitchell & Johnson GL2SE

Miscellany
Adaptors galore
Effect Audio Ares II+ 2-pin IEM cable
3.5mm to 3.5mm cable
Tacima Mains Strip
Lear BTC-01 Balanced Bluetooth IEM cable (0.78mm 2-pin)
Some random cables for hooking the necessary things up.

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #447 of 693

Updated (?) Gear List:

Source and amplification

ALO Continental v5 hybrid portable amplifier

Echobox Explorer

Noble Kaiser Encore

Very interested in hearing those items above! I liked the Echobox at Canjam, but it would only play their mSD card, it's taken a while, so hopefully they have made good strides with software. I bought Katana at London CJ, soon after that, the Encore was announced! ALO v5 was the amp I was considering if ever adding an amp.

Read the Heron will not play from a DX90 even with a 3.5 to XLR converter due to internal wiring! Also described as 'smooth', that's a characteristic I try to avoid. Shame as Fiio X5iii sounds great for the money, but everyone says it is ultra smooth! Personally like a bit more realism, but we all hear different..

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #448 of 693
The reason possibly for canjam getting front page and not is quite yet is the admins are heavily involved in the organising of it. They are much bigger events and whilst 2 of my dear friends are running this under the banner of headfi they're doing it entirely off their own backs. Canjams involve over 100 companies so they need a lot more publicity to generate a lot more numbers attending than we need. As much as we want front page coverage too of course because the more people turn up the more fun and the more new friends we shall all make. There's lots of room for our more show and tell type headfi meets as well as the more consumer show of the CanJams. We will still have lots of demo stuff and stuff for sale. The difference will be that lots of our own uniquely geeky or modded stuff will be there. A d most of it won't be for sale , not at any price !

Mar 19, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #450 of 693
If you haven't already done so please post your vote(s) for the current competition soonest. I thank you.  
L3000.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back