2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Jul 11, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #1,426 of 1,496
Wow, so in Europe a new ADX5000 costs over 2000 euros?

I thought it was expensive here in Australia.
Well, prices fluctuate, at the moment it is under 2000 euros at the cheapest shop.

In German Amazon, it's exactly 2000 euros + shipping. So it's over 2000 euros with shipping. It has a huge box, so shipping might be expensive.

The box I don't like, it's too big, where to put it.

Jul 11, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #1,427 of 1,496
Well, prices fluctuate, at the moment it is under 2000 euros at the cheapest shop.

In German Amazon, it's exactly 2000 euros + shipping. So it's over 2000 euros with shipping. It has a huge box, so shipping might be expensive.

The box I don't like, it's too big, where to put it.
You're right about the box!

Jul 12, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #1,431 of 1,496
So is there a general consensus on a good solid state amp and dac that pairs well with the adx5000?

I was looking at the fiio k9, more for its features and aesthetics and being an AIO which keeps the desk neat.

I know most people generally recommend a tube amp, but I want to keep my setup simple and stick with solid state amp.

Plus I used to own some otl tube amps in the past and they almost blew my headphones.

Jul 12, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #1,432 of 1,496
So is there a general consensus on a good solid state amp and dac that pairs well with the adx5000?

I was looking at the fiio k9, more for its features and aesthetics and being an AIO which keeps the desk neat.

I know most people generally recommend a tube amp, but I want to keep my setup simple and stick with solid state amp.

Plus I used to own some otl tube amps in the past and they almost blew my headphones.
Valve amps don't appeal to me, but I have tried a few ss amps - some with better results than others. Of those I've liked, the Sennheiser HDV820 is among the best I think - a lovely combination of warmth and detail I think. The best from my point of view is the Moon 430HA - which is my only amp these days. I think it just does everything the Sennheiser does better - but it's twice as expensive. I got great results from my old Marantz PM11 integrated amp - not quite the detail of the Senn or Moon, but great weight. I use a Marantz SA10 as my source, on analogue interconnects to the amp. The SA10 has it's own amp - which is not bad - the ADX sounds great, but w/o the depth or imaging of the other amps. I think a good current source together with good voltage seems to produce the best results. I thought my SPL Phonitor was underwhelming - which surprised me.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #1,434 of 1,496
Sorry I should have mentioned my budget is more like under $1,500 aud for both amp and dac. I also am happy to buy used.
You might pick up the HDV820 used for about that. The DAC section is very good I think (high rate PCM and DSD), although I think it's the analogue amp section that's the stand out. That said, the fact that the DAC is so nicely integrated does help to keep noise down - and allows the DAC to work at its best - I really do like the unit. It has a warmth about it which is unusual for ss I think - and I think it sounds distinctly different from the range of other smaller DAC/amps currently around - mainly from China. I've listened to a few of those - I must admit I struggle to tell them apart or remember which is which - but I think they're mostly excellent. I'm sure you know they measure very well too. To my ear they tend to bleach the ADX of a little colour and mid-range texture - which isn't the case with the Senn (and some other more expensive amps I've tried). I guess the Senn's relatively high output impedance (~45 ohms) is part of the equation here - adding some weight to the bottom-end. For classical music, which I listen to, it delivers a very natural sound I think - imaging is exceptional. However, I have heard others say they think it's a bit bland - so I guess musical taste could also play a part here.

Jul 17, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #1,436 of 1,496

When I had the HD800S they said the German-made Violectric amps pair well with the HD800S, and it is true. Here the Violectric amps are good with the Sennheiser:
https://www.headphoneer.com/hd800-amplifier-review/

Also here on Head-Fi, they generally praise Violectric + HD800S.

Well, the Violectric V281 was my dream, when I had the HD800S, but it was just too expensive for me. So the next best thing was the Violectric V200 which is a lot cheaper but still..
There is a Chinese clone amp of the Violectric V200, called the Gustard H10, which I bought. It was cheaper than original used V200, about half-price, but sounds the same and you can upgrade it.

So I think what pairs well with the HD800S, should pair well with the ADX5000, because they are similiar in characteristics. If you want to go budget, the Gustard H10 is quite good and enjoyable.

Jul 18, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #1,437 of 1,496
Hi all,

Is it possible to replace the headband parts at all for these?

I mean the 2 fabric bits that sit on the top of your head.

I would hope a headphone at this price should have more replaceable parts since they will wear and tear in time.

Also, strangely I cannot seem to find any where that you can purchase the original oem ear pads for these, not even on Audio Technica website.
Tbh it's one of the most uncomfortable things about this HP, the headband gave me a dent on the scalp. Since then I was looking for ways to make it comfortable with acceptable looks. I went with Audeze's leather headband part and tied it to the sides of the HP with a kevlar cord, never looked back! most comfortable upgrade that looks acceptable.

I think this part is easily replaceable assuming you can get it OEM.

Jul 23, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #1,438 of 1,496
I also think a good pairing DAC for the ADX5000 is the Topping E70V DAC Pictures , it was a clear upgrade from my SDAC Pictures

The main difference compared to the SDAC are the details, especially in the bass section is the biggest improvement, but the mids have also improved, maybe the highs are similiar level. Also I feel more space, the soundstage has expanded somewhat.

I especially like this Review, very professional, but the ones on Head-fi of this DAC are also good.

Aug 26, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #1,439 of 1,496
I'm actually also looking for some sort of mod for the headband. Wondering if any of the ZMF options could be slapped on somehow or rigged to the headband with some sort of wrap. Would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions on this.

Also, for those curious, I emailed AudioTechnica asking about replacement earpads and they quoted 77.66 per pad in the US. Honestly, I was expecting worse for alcantara but still definitely on the expensive side.

Aug 26, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #1,440 of 1,496
I just a got headband from Silvian at Beautiful Audio. He usually makes them from Grado and some other models like D8000 and couple others. I emailed him the dimensions of the headband and he custom madd one and sent me one to test. It’s wonderful… see picture.

While at it, you can also see here the new Decware/ZMF Referenec OTL amp. This combo has incredible synergy. Better than any other amp I’ve tried with the ADX5000. It gives these headphones a lush and sweet bass they otherwise don’t have, while retaining all the treble detail and sparkle. A wonderful combination.

Last, the semi-transparent black Claire Hybrid cable from Forza AudioWorks is super ergonomic, and fits so nicely.

IMG_7082.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back