2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Jan 1, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #1,471 of 1,496
I owned Mysphere 3.2 phones for some time and always enjoyed the immediacy and open feeling of their presentation. As is often said, their completely open structure effectively removes reflective surfaces and the 'pressure chamber' effect created by the ear cups of more conventional phones. I found them to have miraculously natural presentation and imaging for small scale chamber music - although issues in relation to larger scale music and comfort meant I was never entirely happy with them. By comparison, however, even the HD800S seemed slightly 'shut-in' - the way sweeping cinematic panoramas may seem less open than any natural view. On the other hand, the HD800S (along with the other phones I've mentioned above) sometimes seemed to me more convincing (and satisfying) in creating and projecting a structured image of the recorded performance. The ADX5000 has the most open structure I've encountered in dynamic phones short of the MySphere - and I believe it shares much in terms of openness and crystalline clarity of presentation - I find this very appealing. But I think the residual structure also helps in retaining just a bit of the ear cup effect of more conventional phones. The result is that I tend to see the ADX as occupying a space somewhere between the MySphere and conventional 'open-back' circumaural phones. It really does seem unique in its presentation - and tremendously good!

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #1,474 of 1,496
Having looked a little more closely at some other recent AT models - I've not actually heard them - I'm struck by the fact that the 'open air' models do tend to share the very open structure of the ADX5000. And, reading some of the AT literature (some of the translations are a bit ropey), I'm ready to believe AT's particular aim might well have been to develop a line of phones that escapes the conventional constraints of ear cups (as I've tried to describe above). I read the 'open air' references to be getting at something like this. If that was the aim, as I've said above, I think AT's largely succeeded. There are of course some other examples of manufacturers taking this road less travelled. In my view, the ADX5000 is more successful than the MySphere (which is dynamic) - and I much prefer it to the Raal (which is a planar/ribbon). It's also much more successful to my ear than the old K1000 (dynamic) and the newer Sony MA900 (dynamic). The MA900 is interesting also because of some other features - a resistor to deal with impedance issues, and an 'acoustic bass lens' to reinforce lower frequencies (presumably to balance the large fixed opening behind the driver).

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #1,475 of 1,496
Interestingly, in light of the above, the Sony literature for the MA900 also makes much of a special 'open-air design' intended to create 'a natural sound field that mimics listening to music without headphones'. The MA900 was released around 2012. It's tempting to see the 'open air' concept as an idea that's been floating around among Japanese manufacturers for some time.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #1,477 of 1,496
I've just discovered/realized that the ADX5000 was preceded by the R70X - AT's first open back effort it seems (around 2015). I don't see any reference to 'open air' in the literature I've found - just some focus on the open back approach. But some similarities it seems. Apologies to those who were already aware of the R70X.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #1,478 of 1,496
It turns out my statement above re the first open-back effort is actually wrong. The R70X is described by AT as its first 'reference' open-back - but it seems there have been AT open-backs for some time. It seems the 'open air' line has in fact been around for a while (eg, the AD900X) - but it does seem to have a special place in the AT line-up. The AT line-up is vast and I must confess I find it baffling - I will leave it to others if they are interested in delving further into the AT back-catalogue ...

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #1,479 of 1,496
It turns out my statement above re the first open-back effort is actually wrong. The R70X is described by AT as its first 'reference' open-back - but it seems there have been AT open-backs for some time. It seems the 'open air' line has in fact been around for a while (eg, the AD900X) - but it does seem to have a special place in the AT line-up. The AT line-up is vast and I must confess I find it baffling - I will leave it to others if they are interested in delving further into the AT back-catalogue ...
Below picture shows the natural progression of the Audio Technica reference line of Air Dynamic Headphones.
PXL_20240106_004433085.jpg
From left to right: ATH-AD2000 (my very first pair of "audiophile" or "hifi" headphones acquired around 2006-2007) followed by the ATH-AD2000X in the middle (purchased around 2013) and finally the ATH-ADX5000 (serial 0667, no creak, purchased recently).

Both the AD2K and AD2KX sound similar to the ADX5K when listening via iFi products with bass boost maxed out. They all have a house sound with an "air" about them. The first two being nowhere near as technical nor accurate as the recent. There are no removable cables with the first two and they used the wing system developed by Audio Technica which I personally dreaded.

I wonder why the most recent wasn't simply called AD5000 or AD5000X.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #1,481 of 1,496
That's excellent! Many thanks. Do you know whether AT has promoted this 'Air Dynamic' line as its audiophile range - as distinct from its 'professional' / 'reference' line (eg, R70X, AD900X)?
From what I know they released models at the same time, each supposed upgrade progression in fidelity, such as the AD500, 700, 900, 1000, and 2000. They did the same thing with the X line later on. The AD2000X being their top of the line and natural successor to the AD2000.

I found this tidbit of ATH history just now:
"Audio-Technica began working on their “Air Dynamic” open-back line in 1997, releasing the ATH-AD9 and AD10 in 1998, followed by the AD5 and AD7 in 2000. These four models were based on variations of the 53 mm dynamic driver first used in the closed ATH-A10 (1994) after approximately 5 years of development. Factoid: Audio-Technica claims that it was the largest dynamic driver ever produced at the time.

For their second generation of “Air Dynamic” headphones, AT came out with 8 headphones – recall my comment on saturation: The ATH-AD300 and AD400 both used 40 mm drivers, while the AD500, AD700, AD900, AD1000, AD1000RPM and AD2000 used variations of a 53 mm driver (different magnets, diaphragms and metal covers).

The AD2000 was launched as an open flagship on November 21, 2004 with an MSRP of 80000 Japanese Yen – roughly 775 USD at the time. It has since been discontinued and replaced by the AD2000X, supposedly warmer though less warmly received by the community. Nowadays, typical used market value for an AD2K is roughly 300-400 USD, with the main hurdle for purchase being scarcity in non-Japanese markets."

https://systematicsound.wordpress.com/2018/12/31/audio-technica-ath-ad2000/

I did a quick scan and see the AD900X is still available on the Audio Technica US website. I thought they discontinued all of those. They may have kept it on because of popularity in the west.

I think the RX70 was a opened back counterpart of the MX70 (which took over the ever popular MX50). These headphones are aimed more at sound engineering and have a very flat frequency response. The AD series was the "audiophile" line while the RX and MX were reference. But I am no expert :)

Thinking about it now, maybe the ADX is in fact a further development of the RX or a mix between the two RX and AD...but the RX had smaller drivers than the AD series (45mm compared to 53mm). The new ADX has 58mm drivers closer to the AD series.

I'm sure I heard the RX at some point but never owned one myself.

This makes me want to delve deeper into ATH history 😆

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #1,482 of 1,496
Brilliant! I think you deserve a special citation for this!! I had the same thought myself about the AD/RX lines possibly merging in the ADX5000. I guess the ADX might be seen by some as not sufficiently flat for monitoring - although I think they're probably better even in that regard than many other phones I've used for monitoring over the years.

Jan 27, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #1,484 of 1,496
Had quite some time with this one, almost two months now;

Originally bought as a gift for a nephew, but trust young people not to appreciate what they've got, so naturally he didn't like it. At all. A conclusion he vehemently reached within the short span of a mere few hours. Anyhow.
2500 euro isn't small change for yours truly, so i thought i'd give it a shot myself. Not a stranger to Audio Technica, just have not had anything theirs since the Ikeda days.

If you can't be asked reading further?
Best dynamic headphone i have ever heard. By far. And close to five decades now as a professional, i've heard a lot. E-xce-ptio-nal.

- This thing needs many, many days to reach its full potential. It showed me what it can fully do close to two weeks later -yes, really- and i do mean close to 2 full weeks later, playing non-stop all that time. So for those that listened to it and formed an opinion, should your impressions have been made prior to such a lengthy burn-in period, well, conclusions self-evident.
- The stock cable is not microphonic. Seen this mentioned from various (different) people, not sure how i could phrase this politely, but after a point, one should perhaps grasp the basics prior to presuming they're in a position to make any judgements. Experts the lot of them mind, both here and in another forum.
- The stock cable does not need an upgrade IMHO. I find it perfect; it's well balanced, it suits the capabilities of the drivers, it compliments the auditory result, it doesn't cut or inhibit anywhere within the spectrum, it doesn't colour or lay over, in any a way.
* the XLR variant that's sold separately is made from the exact same cable, albeit obviously, we now have 2 separate earths. As such, you can expect what you'd expect in any such rare apples-to-apples comparison. The single-ended gives you a bit more 'cohesion' overall, the balanced a bit more spread-out and perhaps, case depending, 'dynamic' a representation. That's it, unless
** your amp is built such that its single-ended output suffers. Say it's a truly balanced design, ergo its harmonics are.. what they are when you do that.. i won't go into the XLR craze here, but suffice it to say physics don't change no matter what boutique builders would like you to believe. If your amp is unfortunate enough to be a truly balanced design as is the trend for deaf people today, perhaps buying the balanced cable is truly an option. Otherwise, i'd stick to what AT intended.

As to the headphone itelf? You've more or less read all this elsewhere, but in my own words:

+ To use a term i disagree with but see written a lot? Timbre. Timbre. Timbre. Name the instrument, it doesn't matter, you haven't ever heard it so well and realistically defined before. We're firmly within proper, expensive loudspeakers territory; that good.
+ Stupidly fast. For a dynamic mind. Saying this because i've seen two different people compare it to STAX's 009.. all i can say to both of them is that either their ears suffer, greatly, or their electrostatic amp is crap; or perhaps both? It's insanely fast a headphone, yes. For a dynamic. The air it moves (for a dynamic) is truly staggering, at high volumes you experience it much the same way you would if close to a loudspeaker. Naught to do with volume (albeir it is the cause), this is literally the air reaching your ears at speeds high enough to be felt physically, as an on the skin pressure. It's that fast.
+ Contrary to what graphs portray, empirically speaking it comes off as natural, well-balanced and even, in a very shall i say stereotypical "Japanese" quality sound way of approach.
+ A.C.C.U.R.A.T.E. Have you ever had a Graham or an SME tonearm and then switched to an 'SS' Ikeda? That kind of accurate. Someone performs laser surgery, or could have.
+ On good recordings, and only on good recordings, it comes alive. And it blows my bald skull out. Haven't sweated from excitement while listening to music in a looong time. Did and do now. I literally stop to wipe my bald pate, lol. It's.. moving an experience. Not STAX attack kind of alive, this is more like the kind of 'bam', you're now transported, fasten your seatbelts kind of alive. Everything expands, micro and macro blend better, attack and decay become more natural, the flow is crystal spring water-like.
+ It scales and scales and scales. All the way up to my main system's Zanden DAC -> TAD amp. First headphone i get that does that.
- Brutal on bad recordings. And i mean brutal. Most of you know this (the better the system and so on), but some of you may not quite grasp how pronounced this can be. Well, you will now :)
- Suffers greatly in a bad system. This isn't meant for small SMD-ridden amps (with or without "tubes") fed from iPhones or a PC. Not talking synergy or matching here, am talking cheap/bad system, advertising/hype for it notwithstanding.
- Anemic, flat and near dead on an amp lacking juice. Like proper juice, these headphones need power. The expensive kind.
-/+ Stage, depiction and/or placement thereof is very good, but not 2500 euro good. Its one and only achilles heel. Not average, not good, it really is very good. But at this price range you can find better elsewhere, albeit you'd literally lose on everything else. Mind, all this on a proper system. On anything subpar, i can see why some use the term "imagery".
Note to you folks, you may need a better system for this pair. Sorry :S
* Also, the above applies for, say a full orchestra piece, if like me you listen to 'classical'. For 3, 4 instruments tops? I doubt you'd find anything to complain about. Again, on a system worthy of such a pair of headphones.
-/+ For me a clear positive, but knowing the trends today, let's mark it a 'so so'; low frequencies are quality, not quantity, are well-driven STAX like. Texture, shape, sheen, growth and spread, correct staggered decay, but with no 'oomph' or artifical 'bloom', which masks other frequencies and as such is unwanted. Says i.
+ Slam is there, there is impact. If your amp is solid; see above. "Boom", to use a nephew term, there is not. And i thank the Lord for that too.

To say i recommend them is an understatement. Honestly the best dynamic i've ever heard and by far. And -since other types do exist- with the timbre where it is? Honestly not sure if i'd ever look at planars after this pair.
As for those such as myself listening with STAX headphones you'd ask? What about the other extreme? Dual answer.. You'll never, ever have the attack, air and responsiveness only STAX can provide you with (given a good amp). But what it amounts to? This wonderful juxtaposition of grace and speed without being tiring, detail and nuance without being jarring or icepicky? It's not realistic; it's not. It's a wonderful re..-re-presentation of an actuality you just won't get to hear.
To this day, nothing gives you the "timbre" a good dynamic can give you. Nothing.
So, you pick your poison :)

And thank you for reading my wall-o-text! Unless i've forgotten anything i think that's it, in nice and plain a langue hopefully :)

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #1,485 of 1,496
It's great to see these phones get the response I think they deserve! It's also nice, I think, to see due recognition that dynamic phones may well be preferred to planars and e-stats by listeners interested in acoustic music, where instrument timbre isn't just important - it's critical.

I'm not sure I'd rate them above the HD800S - the only other phones I own - but I'm happy to say it's a decision I don't really need to make ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back