2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
May 23, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #1,397 of 1,496
anyone using the AT-B1XA/3.0 xlr cable? broke it out recently after using a hart audio cable system and forgot that it's actually heavier than the headphone lol trying to rationalize using it but it's a bit unwieldy
Yes, I am. It's quite something, isn't it? I prefer to use 4-pin XLR cables as both my amps perform better through the XLR outputs (I have no preference for 'balanced' headphone cables per se). Personally, I would prefer lighter cable, but it's very nicely made I think, not microphonic and quite a bit less expensive than other nicely made cables I've seen on-line. I'm not persuaded headphone cables affect headphone performance (unless they're truly awful), so I've not really been able to justify replacing it ...

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #1,398 of 1,496
Yes, I am. It's quite something, isn't it? I prefer to use 4-pin XLR cables as both my amps perform better through the XLR outputs (I have no preference for 'balanced' headphone cables per se). Personally, I would prefer lighter cable, but it's very nicely made I think, not microphonic and quite a bit less expensive than other nicely made cables I've seen on-line. I'm not persuaded headphone cables affect headphone performance (unless they're truly awful), so I've not really been able to justify replacing it ...
It came with the ADX-5000 I bought from the classifieds and costs more than I've ever spent on a cable. overkill for desk usage so I've had it stored away but I was thinking maybe it'll be the one to show some impact on performance since these headphones are so revealing. who knows? probably a tough trade/sale due to the age and limited popularity of AT on here

May 23, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #1,399 of 1,496
It came with the ADX-5000 I bought from the classifieds and costs more than I've ever spent on a cable. overkill for desk usage so I've had it stored away but I was thinking maybe it'll be the one to show some impact on performance since these headphones are so revealing. who knows? probably a tough trade/sale due to the age and limited popularity of AT on here
It really is a monster, I agree. There's no doubt it can (as with any 'balanced' cable) allow the right amp to significantly affect the performance of the ADX5000. Most amps with 4-pin XLR and phono outputs will present higher power at the XLR output, which will drive phones differently than the lower power phono output. Generally, more power gives a better result. In the case of the ADX5000, which has a high load impedance of ~400ohms, the difference is to my ear quite marked. I think you're right, and these phones are tremendously revealing. And I think they benefit greatly from the higher power that can be delivered via the balanced cable from the right amp.

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #1,400 of 1,496
It really is a monster, I agree. There's no doubt it can (as with any 'balanced' cable) allow the right amp to significantly affect the performance of the ADX5000. Most amps with 4-pin XLR and phono outputs will present higher power at the XLR output, which will drive phones differently than the lower power phono output. Generally, more power gives a better result. In the case of the ADX5000, which has a high load impedance of ~400ohms, the difference is to my ear quite marked. I think you're right, and these phones are tremendously revealing. And I think they benefit greatly from the higher power that can be delivered via the balanced cable from the right amp.
oh yeah, not high end but I get plenty of power out of the Jotunheim 2 balanced. I've been spending too much money on iem's lately instead of upgrading my desk stack lol looking to get a better tube amp soon-ish. Not that these don't sound great out of a TA-26 with some decent tubes and the Jot/Bifrost 2, but i've read quite a few accounts here about these scaling very well. Going to spend some time using them with a friend's GSX-Mini/Gustard R26

May 24, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #1,401 of 1,496
oh yeah, not high end but I get plenty of power out of the Jotunheim 2 balanced. I've been spending too much money on iem's lately instead of upgrading my desk stack lol looking to get a better tube amp soon-ish. Not that these don't sound great out of a TA-26 with some decent tubes and the Jot/Bifrost 2, but i've read quite a few accounts here about these scaling very well. Going to spend some time using them with a friend's GSX-Mini/Gustard R26
I agree, they really do seem to scale.

May 26, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #1,402 of 1,496
Hey, owning both HD800S and ADX5000 can you compare imaging? I only heard ADX5000 as a mid-high $ headphone and cannot really test headphones around in my area, but I was considering HD800 or HD800s for gaming. ADX5000 is amazing for all genres but EXACT location from where sound is coming is slightly lacking, especially when they're from behind.
Well said, I thought if I'm every going to buy a TOTL HP it shouldn't be HD800s considering I wanted better gaming experience solely, might consider Utopia or similar HPs with different qualities.
I do not own both, but I have owned both for about 3 weeks, before my HD800S got sold.

Gaming: I would say the HD800S is better, especially for competitive, multiplayer games. You get a good sense of your surroundings and you can get a good sense where the enemy is. You feel like inside the battle. If you know Joshua Valour, he said at 18:38: "Fully support this as the best gaming headphone you can buy, period" Review video here

Movies: I would say it's a tossup, the HD800S has better soundstage and imaging, so if there is an explosion or an alien, you get a sense where that is coming from somehow. Or you feel like you are present, where the actors are talking to eachother, because of the soundstage and imaging. You are like inside the movie, if there are three people having a conversation, you feel a bit like you are the fourth watching them, literally there.
On the other hand, in movies, the ADX5000 also has some soundstage and imaging (this improves on the Audio-Technica in my opinion, if you buy the Dekoni Audio EPZ-TH900-ELVL, it's an angled pad, but will not reach the level of the Sennheiser), but has better bass, mids, maybe highs are equal. So the sound, and the voices of the actors or explosions maybe slightly more natural and realistic, so in a different way, you feel yourself inside the movie. Slightly more detailed, warm, forward voices perhaps. But for movies, if I really had to choose, I lean towards the Sennheiser, but only by a hair.

Youtube, podcasts, news, product reviews, talk shows ...etc : I lean towards the Audio-Technica by a hair, because of the slightly higher quality of human voices.

Music: I would say the ADX5000 is somewhat better, has more precise bass and mids, maybe highs are equal. If you are listening to a talented artist, the music is more vivid and clear compared to the Sennheiser. Maybe if you like to listen to concerts, then again, with the Sennheiser you get the advantage of feeling inside the crowd, but for studio recordings, the Sennheiser sound is just slightly more flat or dull and thinner. For example, if you like heavy metal, on the bass guitar you can clearly hear that the HD800S has problems to follow it, it becomes distorted, the ADX5000 has no problem (or at least less problem) to present the heavy metal bass guitar. Vocals sounds a bit more crisp and clear on the ADX5000. The ADX5000 is just better for studio music. For concert music, the HD800S has the advantage, because you feel like you are inside the crowd and concert recordings do not have high quality sound anyway.

Since I mostly use my headphones for music listening and mostly studio recordings, I would choose the ADX5000. But if I was a gamer mostly, I would choose the HD800S.
The HD800S is also excellent for music, but if you compare them side by side to the Audio-Technica, then you realize, it's just second in that regard.

The perfect headphone would be, to have the soundstage and imaging of the Sennheiser, paired with the tonality, clarity and precision of the ADX5000.
If Sennheiser updated the drivers on the HD800S, like Tungsten coating or whatever, I think it would be achieveable. That would be like the HD1000, I would be interested.
The Soltanus Euridiche, which I had the opportunity to listen to it for two hours, did exactly that, huge soundstage and impressive imaging paired with overall excellent and precise sound. Absolute best I ever heard, beat the Susvara even.

I'll be looking at those Dekoni pads, appreciate the tip! Honestly ADX5000 is tough to edge out, it might be an acquired taste in my case but it remains my favorite presentation until I listen to something that blows it out of the water. Seen some people criticizing the bass but it's plentiful and full.
Two songs sound magical to me are both on Tidal (could be WA2 doing some tube magic):
Love & Loyalty (Believe) - DBN Gogo, the sub bass was hitting my throat, weird feeling to describe but very enjoyable.
Ilomilo (Live from the film - Billie Eilish), you literally feel in the crowd

May 26, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #1,403 of 1,496
I think it's hard to find better imaging phones than the HD800S - and the ADX5000 isn't far behind. If imaging/staging in music is the goal these two are right up there - certainly I think more likely to please than the Utopia (and a lot less expensive). I've owned all three for extended periods - the Utopia (like all Focal phones I think) is quite 'intimate' in its presentation, not at all expansive. Some of the less expensive planars image well - Arya, for example. But you might find (like me) that planars have a synthetic sort of presentation that lacks some natural dynamic intensity.

Jun 12, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #1,404 of 1,496
Well said, I thought if I'm every going to buy a TOTL HP it shouldn't be HD800s considering I wanted better gaming experience solely, might consider Utopia or similar HPs with different qualities.

I'll be looking at those Dekoni pads, appreciate the tip! Honestly ADX5000 is tough to edge out, it might be an acquired taste in my case but it remains my favorite presentation until I listen to something that blows it out of the water. Seen some people criticizing the bass but it's plentiful and full.
Two songs sound magical to me are both on Tidal (could be WA2 doing some tube magic):
Love & Loyalty (Believe) - DBN Gogo, the sub bass was hitting my throat, weird feeling to describe but very enjoyable.
Ilomilo (Live from the film - Billie Eilish), you literally feel in the crowdnikool m'I pads out, I believe they impove the comfort and the soundstage. I will be glad to read your report on them.
I'm looking forward to read your experience about the Dekoni pads, I believe they improve the comfort and the soundstage.

Seen some people criticizing the bass but it's plentiful and full.
Yes, the bass is quite good on the ADX5000, but not outstanding. I have heard better bass on the HE1000SE, Susvara, Soltanus Euridiche.
I don't know, maybe it's good this way, you can focus more on the singer perhaps.
At the end of the day, it's a really good headphone.

Maybe my next step will be the HE1000SE, it has slightly larger soundtage, better imaging, better bass.
On the downside, less natural a bit.

But those are like +80% price, so ... I don't know. They are not that much better, only slightly perhaps.

Jun 13, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #1,405 of 1,496
I'm looking forward to read your experience about the Dekoni pads, I believe they improve the comfort and the soundstage.

Yes, the bass is quite good on the ADX5000, but not outstanding. I have heard better bass on the HE1000SE, Susvara, Soltanus Euridiche.
I don't know, maybe it's good this way, you can focus more on the singer perhaps.
At the end of the day, it's a really good headphone.

Maybe my next step will be the HE1000SE, it has slightly larger soundtage, better imaging, better bass.
On the downside, less natural a bit.

But those are like +80% price, so ... I don't know. They are not that much better, only slightly perhaps.
You are in luck as the he1000se cost $1999 now. Thats same price as the adx5000

hifiman he1000se

Jun 13, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #1,406 of 1,496
You are in luck as the he1000se cost $1999 now. Thats same price as the adx5000

hifiman he1000se
What you linked is a good price for a new one. But the used ones have also a similiar price, even higher. I don't know if they are coming from outside of E.U., then you have to pay VAT (27% in Hungary) and additional fees.

I have bought my ADX5000 for 1180 euros (1274 USD) second hand.
I could sell it for like 1200 euros, so the circa +80% price difference was reasonable to say.

The used HE1000SE-s go for like 2200-2400 euros, on hifishark.

But I'm satisfied with the ADX5000 for the time, maybe a few years later I will check the HE1000SE again, I will listen to it once or twice and compare to the ADX5000 again before deciding, maybe overall it's better, but not in every aspect, it's debatable.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #1,407 of 1,496
Hi all,

Is it possible to replace the headband parts at all for these?

I mean the 2 fabric bits that sit on the top of your head.

I would hope a headphone at this price should have more replaceable parts since they will wear and tear in time.

Also, strangely I cannot seem to find any where that you can purchase the original oem ear pads for these, not even on Audio Technica website.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #1,408 of 1,496
Hi all,

Is it possible to replace the headband parts at all for these?

I mean the 2 fabric bits that sit on the top of your head.

I would hope a headphone at this price should have more replaceable parts since they will wear and tear in time.

Also, strangely I cannot seem to find any where that you can purchase the original oem ear pads for these, not even on Audio Technica website.
Hello. I believe Minidisc in Sydney can get most parts. You might like to contact them about orders. Very good to deal with in my experience.

Jul 9, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #1,409 of 1,496
What you linked is a good price for a new one. But the used ones have also a similiar price, even higher. I don't know if they are coming from outside of E.U., then you have to pay VAT (27% in Hungary) and additional fees.

I have bought my ADX5000 for 1180 euros (1274 USD) second hand.
I could sell it for like 1200 euros, so the circa +80% price difference was reasonable to say.

The used HE1000SE-s go for like 2200-2400 euros, on hifishark.

But I'm satisfied with the ADX5000 for the time, maybe a few years later I will check the HE1000SE again, I will listen to it once or twice and compare to the ADX5000 again before deciding, maybe overall it's better, but not in every aspect, it's debatable.
Pretty sure the used price had not been adjusted to the new retail price. The used price will drop even more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back