2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Jan 29, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #1,322 of 1,496
I tried with thicker pads and tought the sound was different and did not personnally like it, these are not as thick as those so these might work.

Jan 30, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #1,323 of 1,496
From my experience, stock pads work best. I found some pads on AliEXp that are thicker and don't change the sound all that much but I don't remember who was selling it.

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #1,324 of 1,496
I have to change my opinion a bit: I said before that I prefer original pads over Dekoni Sheepskin, and I still do. But I just listened to those and found the sound more pleasing, slightly more intimate and dynamic, however the leather does not feel good after a while. I also had the hybrid pads from Dekoni (came with the headphones, had those lying in my closet for a year or so untouched) . Put those on and well these sound better in my opinion, and feel as good as og pads.

Jan 31, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #1,325 of 1,496
I have to change my opinion a bit: I said before that I prefer original pads over Dekoni Sheepskin, and I still do. But I just listened to those and found the sound more pleasing, slightly more intimate and dynamic, however the leather does not feel good after a while. I also had the hybrid pads from Dekoni (came with the headphones, had those lying in my closet for a year or so untouched) . Put those on and well these sound better in my opinion, and feel as good as og pads.

Are you talking about these? https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-fostex-th900-fenestrated-sheepskin-ear-pad-set/

BTW, I am a happy ADX5000 owner now.

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #1,327 of 1,496
I just realized why I had such a hard time putting my pads on: Those were not meant for these headphones... So @Remusz911 Those most likely will fit, but not easily :D
This filter shows the correct size pads:
https://dekoniaudio.com/product-category/brands/audio-technica/ath-ad2000x/

And these are the pads I currently have, but are not the right size:
https://dekoniaudio.com/product/elite-hybrid-ear-pads-for-fostex-th900-headphones/

These are the ones you might want to try:
https://dekoniaudio.com/product/elite-velour-ear-pads-for-audio-technica-ath-ad-900x-headphones/

And these are what the general population thinks is the best, but personnally don't like because of the leather feel on my head:
https://dekoniaudio.com/product/elite-sheepskin-ear-pads-for-audio-technica-ath-ad-900x-headphones/

BTW, I am a happy ADX5000 owner now.
How does it compare with HD800S? And do you like them? I don't recommend these to people as these are a divider of opinions, while personally love these.
Here is a good song to "test" ADX5K imaging, soundstage and speed capabilities: Yosi Horikawa - Bubbles

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #1,328 of 1,496
How does it compare with HD800S? And do you like them? I don't recommend these to people as these are a divider of opinions, while personally love these.
Here is a good song to "test" ADX5K imaging, soundstage and speed capabilities: Yosi Horikawa - Bubbles

The ADX5000 sounds better than the HD800S, that's why I spend money on this. I have tested them side by side two times before deciding to buy.

Enjoy the pictures:

Test I.

Test II.

The HD800S sounds a bit more dull and flat. The ADX5000 has a more alive, vivid sound. More crisp. Like a 28-30 year old woman vs a 18-20 year old young woman, if you know what I mean. Both are alive, but the 18 year old is more alive. :wink:

Soundstage difference is not that important or noticable, I am completely satisfied with the ADX5000's airy sound.

Build quality, looks, weight, materials, the ADX5000 is better.

Comfort at the moment, the Sennheiser is better, but maybe if I buy new pads, this will change. I do not like that my ears are touching the fabric. In the Sennheiser my ears touched nothing. Maybe with new pads this will be corrected.

In the pictures the HE1000SE and Susvara can be seen, I think those have better bass extension, so better sub-bass (which is an advantage, but maybe it just diverts your attention from the music), otherwise they are not that much superior to the ADX5000 in my feeling. Also very clear and vivid sound, a tiny bit better maybe, but not by much.

The Sennheiser HD800S sounds a little bit dull and flat in comparision the the ADX5000 and both Hifimans. But it's okay, since it's cheaper and very comfortable. Very rugged headphone.

I have bought the ADX5000 for 1180 Euros in my county (+50-60 euros for Dekoni pads https://dekoniaudio.com/product/elite-velour-ear-pads-for-fostex-th900-headphones/), which is a good price, I am happy. I can sell the HD800S for roughly 850 Euros. The ADX5000 was only moderately used and excellent condition, so it's a good deal.

So I am happy. I think the price difference I pay is justified, because of better sound quality.
------------------------
If you are bored and looking for an upgrade, maybe look for the Hifiman HE1000 series, depending on taste. And a second hand one for a normal price. Better bass extension (sub-bass), maybe a tiny bit better than ADX5000. Downside is, the headphone is heavier, maybe less comfortable for you, but your ears will have space.

Only buy the Susvara if you have enough money to burn. :wink: Depending on taste you might even like the HE1000SE better. The HE1000SE is a bit more analytical, the Susvara maybe more pleasure. But these are tiny differences I think.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #1,330 of 1,496
Probably fix the problem with rubber bulb (i have bought it today)
Most likely dust or something else was under the central metal shield where i can't see anything
Air pressure from bulb helped to solve the problem.
Thanks to everyone!
Hi everyone,

In my country, there is 20% discount on this month so I bought one a couple days ago. I also experienced the same buzz on the right side. I don't have rubber bulb, but have dust removal spray. I tried without spray tube, but didn't work. Later, I plugged the tube in. It works eventually. Thanks Ololoshevkin for saving my time. Otherwise, I have to return it back to the store.

After listening via my HA-300B v.1 w/ R28 ( as DAC ) , its sound is totally better than the sound when I tried @ store via Mytek Manhattan II. It seems to me that synergy with Amp makes the difference for ADX5000.

Another thing I found while checking the driver, PPS baffle of right side does not totally glued to the frame ( those three poles and round edge ) compared to the left side so I slightly rubbed it with fabric then it sticks to the frame again ( change from white color to black ) . I'm just wonders how long lasting of glues will be. If anyone have any experiences with this one, please share. Thank you.

Attachments

• S__109748227.jpg
    S__109748227.jpg
    809.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1927.jpg
    IMG_1927.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 0E02BC61-1982-4B3A-AF87-CC067162573F.jpg
    0E02BC61-1982-4B3A-AF87-CC067162573F.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1928.jpg
    IMG_1928.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 0
Feb 3, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #1,331 of 1,496
Another thing I found while checking the driver, PPS baffle of right side does not totally glued to the frame ( those three poles and round edge ) compared to the left side so I slightly rubbed it with fabric then it sticks to the frame again ( change from white color to black ) . I'm just wonders how long lasting of glues will be. If anyone have any experiences with this one, please share. Thank you.
I hope it will be ok, but of course it's abnormal. Observe it for several days with a good load. If the problem reoccurs and you have garantee it will be better for you to return or change

Feb 4, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #1,332 of 1,496
"Headphone : Focal Utopia"

I see you have the Focal Utopia as well, how does it compare, which one do you like more?

Feb 4, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #1,333 of 1,496
I just realized why I had such a hard time putting my pads on: Those were not meant for these headphones... So @Remusz911 Those most likely will fit, but not easily :D
This filter shows the correct size pads:
https://dekoniaudio.com/product-category/brands/audio-technica/ath-ad2000x/
Beware, Dekoni pads will indeed fit the adx5000, however these are specifically made for the AD series that have a thicker side around the driver, see pic
Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 09-01-53 Dekoni Elite Velour replacement earpads for the Audio Techni...png

Because of that it was a serious pain to have them fit, since you have to pull much more for all of it to fit inside properly. And the final result is a pad that has a bit of sag, not perfectly centered, compared to the OG pads that are perfectly round and centered.

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #1,334 of 1,496
"Headphone : Focal Utopia"

I see you have the Focal Utopia as well, how does it compare, which one do you like more?

I think the synergy between ADX5000 with my HA-300B totally make the differences here. Utopia does not depend on Amp much like ADX5000.

For the sound when connecting to HA-300B, ADX5000 wins on vocal music, acoustics, jazz, and some instrumental music. Holographic tube sounds comes out from ADX5000 more than Utopia. Of course, its bass impact is less than Utopia. However, it's there with amount depending on each personal taste.

When I tried ADX5000 for the first time via Mytek Manhantan II, I also tried Focal Clear via Naim DAC v-1 in difference stores on the same day. Focal Clear wins, but I did not buy it because the its weight too heavy for me at that time. I just want to buy a light and comfort flagship headphones due to my bad experience with AD2000 headband clamp force ( old Audio technica fans knows well about this ) .

Eventually, I demoed DCA Ether 1 ( Red ) via Meridian Explorer 2 due to clearance sale. At that time Ether 2 release was also announced. I totally love Ether Red sound. I'm still sorry I did not buy it on that, but made a leap of faith on Ether 2. It is quite a mistake. With its 32 ohms impedance, I have to turn the volumn knop up to 12 AM. to get the decent listenable volume, which is weird. My other headphones does not have this problem. By the way, Dan provided me with good memorable services when I asked him anything about Ether 2. He answered abruptly. I think Ether 2 does not have good synergy with my Amp.

Sorry for not-related long story.

In summary, it's up to your music taste and your Amp synergy with the headphones. If possible, take your Amp to the store and try both headphones. In my case, I bought it without demo with my amp because I'm Audio-Technica fan, 20% discount, and my research via forums that ADX5000 has good synergy with tube amps. I could not take my amp to the shop anyway because its weight is 30 kg.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #1,335 of 1,496
I hope it will be ok, but of course it's abnormal. Observe it for several days with a good load. If the problem reoccurs and you have garantee it will be better for you to return or change

Thank you Ololoshevkin

Firstly, I thought if dust spray with tube does not work , I will return it on the next day. One down side is I have to repack and drive to send it back to the shop. If that's the case, the shop must send it back to distributor for checking. They may have more unit or this unit might be the last one that I must wait for new one from Japan. The latter case will be disaster.

I saw a sticker on the left ear inside. Mine shows like 02/2021. I think it's the assembly month/year, which makes sense that glues might deteriorate.

Anyhow, I will keep checking like your recommendation. Thank you again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back