2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Feb 1, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #271 of 1,496
I'd be willing to give up some sub-bass and mid-bass impact (and in my opinion this is exactly where in headphones where the mid-bass is boosted and brought more forward, you're bound to be losing finer details when listening to an acoustic bass instrument), since if the mid-bass is boosted on a headphone, it would seem that you'd be trading "impact" and "punch" for finer, more subtle details (as in overtones, and harmonics of a stand-up bass). On some headphones, the bass is so emphasized and so dominant that it begins to bleed-over and obscure the midrange (much less giving you the chance to appreciate the interesting character of a sustained note or chord!)

The way I feel about judging a headphone's presentation of bass is (and based on all the headphones that I've ever heard) you seem to have to make a choice in how you want your bass rendered. And, it seems to me it's a matter of "you win some / you lose some." I think it would be a very difficult engineering trick for a headphone to have both the qualities of impact and finesse. (But, this is based on my limited frame of reference, as I admit that the headphones that I've heard is a small percentage, compared to what's out there, these days).
I agree with you. They actually remind me of the Eclipse TD510Z MkII single driver speakers - clean, fast, open, detailed, three dimensional. They’re a tad light on bass too, but reward you with so much more than a little extra bass would do. I guess in comparison, the single driver approach could be made to produce lower bass, but to the detriment of the rest of the frequency range, just as with the ADX5000s. Would I want to spoil what they do for a bit more bass? Not on your nelly! I like their speed and bass texture.

Glad you're enjoying the X5000's, dave. Appreciate your impressions. I'll still be looking for more reviews and people's comments in the coming months as I hope that MSRP comes down! (I still have a bit of "sticker shock", as far as that goes!)
Just bear in mind that everyone hears differently, and we all have differing partnering equipment, so opinions are going to vary regardless of just how good these headphones are. No doubt many people will find them on the bright/lean side, but you’ll also find some at the opposite extreme who are going to fund them dull! I can’t wait to get my pair back for more listening, spend more time with them and maybe do a follow up review.

Feb 28, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #272 of 1,496
After spending some time with the 5000's I must say I've grown REALLY fond of them. All of my complaints with the ATH lineup (of the ones I've tried) have been answered.
But I, in all truthfulness, like them over the Senn. HD800 S. "SAY WHAAA!!!!??" Yeah I can hear y'all now. "We're you using a competent setup? The HD800 S needs top tier gear to really bring out its best!" Yup. As does the ATH-ADX5000. But the setup used/ing is the Schiit Rag/Yggy, Mjol/Gum, iFi iCAN Pro/Yggy, SENN. HDVD800 w/ & w/o a PS Audio DL3 w/ cullan 4 mod, and I'm sure there's another piece in there I'm not thinking about. And on every piece of gear SUB the HDVD800 I preferred the 5000. They both sounded almost identical on the HDVD800.

Now that that's out of the way. I found the 5000 to be a much more fuller sounding headphone. The soundstage is much smaller than that of the 800 S but, to me, I find it sounds more natural and real. The bass hits a lot harder than that of the 800 S but remains as accurate and responsive. Other than a fuller sound I can't really go much further for I've only recently started really getting critical with it to review it. In terms of comfort they, to me, are better. I can't say unanimously because I know a lot of people like the feathery feel of the 800 S and I can completely understand why. But to me, the nice Goldilocks clamping force suites me better.

Some negatives I can forsee Audio-Technica running into with the 5k is that they, along with the balanced cable, is $600 more than the Senn. HD800 S new. and I can REALLY forsee that being an issue when people are shopping around. Shoot, they can probably find a great condition used HEKv1 or even 2 for that price (to disclaim I've only MINIMAL time with the HEKv1). Also, the cable being detachable is a HUGE plus, BUT, it's proprietary which REALLY increased the price and difficulty in finding aftermarket/ replacement cables (which the 800 S shares as well).

EDIT: Also a negative is that the frame does creak which I do NOT think should be a thing on a 2 THOUSAND dollar headphone.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #274 of 1,496
well it has some worthy competition. i'm not sure what you're basing your suspicion on tbh.

Mar 3, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #276 of 1,496
i research gear that piques my interest too, as i'm sure many of us who are into this hobby do. reading extensively about a headphone is no substitute for experiencing it. you may find that your suspicion is unfounded.

Mar 3, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #278 of 1,496
Headphones sound like what they are...
i'm not sure what point you're trying to make but headphones sound like, well, headphones. they don't all sound the same, however. you won't know what the adx5000 sounds like or if it feels comfortable until you try it now will you?

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #282 of 1,496
headphones should produce sound, including music and all headphones do, unless they're broken.

looking forward to seeing more first-hand impressions of the adx5000 and hopefully a meaningful discussion.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #283 of 1,496
I stumbled upon ADX5000 at my FLHS (favorite/friendly local headphone shop). I auditioned them using Mojo and WM1Z. In comparison, I listened to Final D8000. To my surprise, ADX5000 grabbed my ears/brain/heart. D8000 was wonderful but a bit too warm/dark to my ears. ADX5000 stroke the right balance for me. I know it's a bit on bright side. But the treble extends well without getting sibilant. Actually, it stops just before becoming sibilant, which is sometime thrilling to listen. But I love it. I used to own HD800S. If my memory serves well, ADX5000 overcame all the things I did not like in HD800S. HD800S lacked body in mid and often had sibilance. It's clinical dry sounding. On the contrary, ADX5000 has much fuller mid without sibilance. And the biggest difference is in the bass. ADX5000 has excellent extension in sub-bass. And bass has just right quantity with great quality. Very nice balance and tight and fast.
Through the single ended output from WM1Z, the volume needs to go as high as 105 (out of 120 max) but the sound quality was surprisingly good.
Anyway, I brought a pair back with me. Now I'm enjoying them with Hugo 2. To my ears, it's a great pairing.
I will share my impression after proper burning in.

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #284 of 1,496
I stumbled upon ADX5000 at my FLHS (favorite/friendly local headphone shop). I auditioned them using Mojo and WM1Z. In comparison, I listened to Final D8000. To my surprise, ADX5000 grabbed my ears/brain/heart. D8000 was wonderful but a bit too warm/dark to my ears. ADX5000 stroke the right balance for me. I know it's a bit on bright side. But the treble extends well without getting sibilant. Actually, it stops just before becoming sibilant, which is sometime thrilling to listen. But I love it. I used to own HD800S. If my memory serves well, ADX5000 overcame all the things I did not like in HD800S. HD800S lacked body in mid and often had sibilance. It's clinical dry sounding. On the contrary, ADX5000 has much fuller mid without sibilance. And the biggest difference is in the bass. ADX5000 has excellent extension in sub-bass. And bass has just right quantity with great quality. Very nice balance and tight and fast.
Through the single ended output from WM1Z, the volume needs to go as high as 105 (out of 120 max) but the sound quality was surprisingly good.
Anyway, I brought a pair back with me. Now I'm enjoying them with Hugo 2. To my ears, it's a great pairing.

I had written this headphone off until reading your impressions. I also found the D8000 too warm and dark. I also love the HD800S but also found it sibilant at times and it’s sub bass is almost non-existent. I also found its mids slightly recessed, which I don’t like. I think we have similar tastes in sound. I’m looking forward to more impressions from you.

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #285 of 1,496
I agree with all points, except for the sibilance bit. My experience is the opposite. I am completely fine with the treble on the HD800S, but I had to use the Loki Mini to tame the treble of the ADX5000.

But I agree that despite a smaller soundstage, the overall SQ is nicer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back