2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Jan 26, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #257 of 1,496
I was being a bit facetious with my earlier comment, up late. Sometimes humor that may be a little "dry" can sometimes fall flat with some readers when you only have stark words on a page to convey a message (compared to talking to somebody face-to-face, when you have facial expressions and tone-of-voice as cues).

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #258 of 1,496
I think terry parr was just making a humorous comment. I thought it was quite funny bc I’ve seen Tull do that in quite a few reviews.

Thanks, LaCuffia. Yes, it was humor, everybody. (Or, my attempt at it!) up late took me literally. I thought that everyone who was familiar with Tyll's style and gestures would get the joke. Not that everybody had to find it funny, but at least get the joke.

Work with me, guys. Work with me.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #259 of 1,496
I was being a bit facetious with my earlier comment, up late. Sometimes humor that may be a little "dry" can sometimes fall flat with some readers when you only have stark words on a page to convey a message (compared to talking to somebody face-to-face, when you have facial expressions and tone-of-voice as cues).
i understand that, which is why i use emoticons here

Jan 26, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #260 of 1,496
Thanks, LaCuffia. Yes, it was humor, everybody. (Or, my attempt at it!) up late took me literally. I thought that everyone who was familiar with Tyll's style and gestures would get the joke. Not that everybody had to find it funny, but at least get the joke.

Work with me, guys. Work with me.
to clarify, while my post immediately followed that post, it was actually addressing your previous one. i suppose that i should have quoted it to avoid any misunderstanding.

ps fixed

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #261 of 1,496
going to sell my ADX5000. need the funds for something else. doesn't make too much sense to keep the ADX when I already have the HD800S which I still prefer.

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #264 of 1,496
The ATH-ADX5000 is a more technically capable headphone, more resolving, imaging, detail oriented headphone than the AD2000. But in terms of musicallity, emotion, soul and enjoyment, the ATH-AD2000 is simply better (to my ears)--from bass, mids to treble. The ATH-ADX5000 (like the revised X series) tries to be neutral, forsaking the the magic and soul that the AD2000 possesses.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #267 of 1,496
Headphones are the same as loudspeakers - there are technically excellent speakers out there, and there are those that are full of "character", with many filling the space between. Which we prefer is down to our own hearing and preference, along with the equipment they're attached to. For me, the ADX5000s do what I personally want a headphone to do, and I came to that conclusion based on a small number of albums that I use to make the same decisions about loudspeakers. I'll admit a little more bass would've been nice (mainly because I know what sort of bass some albums have because of hearing them on KEF Blades produce), but with that trait, detail is usually lost. I'm sure there's a headphone amplifier out there that will give me that extra if I ever want it, but the combination of the ADX5000 with the Moon 230HAD was a great pairing for me, and is my current benchmark. At one point, I thought I was going off conventional headphones in favour of planar magnetic, but these have won me back round :)

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #268 of 1,496
Headphones are the same as loudspeakers - there are technically excellent speakers out there, and there are those that are full of "character", with many filling the space between. Which we prefer is down to our own hearing and preference, along with the equipment they're attached to. For me, the ADX5000s do what I personally want a headphone to do, and I came to that conclusion based on a small number of albums that I use to make the same decisions about loudspeakers. I'll admit a little more bass would've been nice (mainly because I know what sort of bass some albums have because of hearing them on KEF Blades produce), but with that trait, detail is usually lost. I'm sure there's a headphone amplifier out there that will give me that extra if I ever want it, but the combination of the ADX5000 with the Moon 230HAD was a great pairing for me, and is my current benchmark. At one point, I thought I was going off conventional headphones in favour of planar magnetic, but these have won me back round :)
You've not found the treble to be too distracting? Maybe it's my setup. I need to manage it with an EQ to round off the trebles. They're ok for short/medium term listening, but long term I find them tiring.

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #269 of 1,496

I'd be willing to give up some sub-bass and mid-bass impact (and in my opinion this is exactly where in headphones where the mid-bass is boosted and brought more forward, you're bound to be losing finer details when listening to an acoustic bass instrument), since if the mid-bass is boosted on a headphone, it would seem that you'd be trading "impact" and "punch" for finer, more subtle details (as in overtones, and harmonics of a stand-up bass). On some headphones, the bass is so emphasized and so dominant that it begins to bleed-over and obscure the midrange (much less giving you the chance to appreciate the interesting character of a sustained note or chord!)

The way I feel about judging a headphone's presentation of bass is (and based on all the headphones that I've ever heard) you seem to have to make a choice in how you want your bass rendered. And, it seems to me it's a matter of "you win some / you lose some." I think it would be a very difficult engineering trick for a headphone to have both the qualities of impact and finesse. (But, this is based on my limited frame of reference, as I admit that the headphones that I've heard is a small percentage, compared to what's out there, these days).

Glad you're enjoying the X5000's, dave. Appreciate your impressions. I'll still be looking for more reviews and people's comments in the coming months as I hope that MSRP comes down! (I still have a bit of "sticker shock", as far as that goes!)

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #270 of 1,496
You've not found the treble to be too distracting? Maybe it's my setup. I need to manage it with an EQ to round off the trebles. They're ok for short/medium term listening, but long term I find them tiring.
On initial listening, I was initially a little worried that some of the brighter/harsher sounding albums I have (one or two of which are favourites) would be unlistenable. But as I mentioned in my review, one of the tracks I tend to use to check this out is Give It Away by RHCP. On harsh speakers it’s unlistenable, and I fully expected the same with the ADX5000s. One thing I was struck by was the cleanliness of the top end, and as there were no nasties being introduced by the headphones themselves (or presumably, by the Moon HAD230), I found them very listenable, and even heard stuff in that track I normally wouldn’t due to the usually ear piercing electric guitars.

I like a little bit of edge though. I don’t generally like anything to sound laid back and warm. A bit of warmth is fine in the right places, but in the wrong places it just creates a dull sound - no disrespect, but I tend to find Sennheisers a little boring to listen to. They sound detailed and clean, but they just don’t do anything for me any more. Just for info purposes, my Sennheiser journey started over 30 years ago with HD414 or 420 (I forget which), and moved on through a few Sennheiser models, with the last ones I owned being HD565 and HD600s up until about 7/8 years ago. I wouldn’t have anything but Sennheiser. I’ve since liked some of the Oppo and Audeze models, and having heard the ADX5000s now, that’s what everything else has to beat. If something can match them at a cheaper price, and produce a tad more bass, I’m in! I can’t see that happening though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back