2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Mar 31, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #316 of 1,496
I have a low serial number ADX5000 and I don't think I have ever heard a creak on my pair even moving it around, although I may just have been lucky on mine.

I had a pre-production model that had serial number 83 but even so it may've just been my model as well.

My experience with the Focal Clear is VERY little at CanFest 6 but I personally wasn't at all impressed with it like I was the Elear. Too dry sounding for my taste. Very detailed and super comfortable sure but it just didn't do it for me.

Mar 31, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #317 of 1,496
I had a pre-production model that had serial number 83 but even so it may've just been my model as well.
Mine is S/N 75. It creaks. Well it’s more like clicking noise coming from the location where the hanger is connected to the housing. Noise comes only on the left side.

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #320 of 1,496
tyll did indicate that he would be reviewing it, which presumably would include measurements

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #323 of 1,496
Interesting. Maybe sibilants issue is depending on the tracks you listen. I have a list of “sibilant prone” tracks in my library. HD800S had sibilants on 90% of them. ADX5000 had only 10%. I guess these 10% are just how they are recorded.
Another note is that even when there is sibilance, I can tolerate it on ADX5000, while it was unbearable with HD800S. Maybe fuller mid is helping this or amount of sibilance is lower with ADX5000. Anyway I’m happy. Of course, YMMV.

Could you comment on which one you find to have the better detail retrieval/resolution between 800S and ADX5K? Thanks.

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #324 of 1,496
Could you comment on which one you find to have the better detail retrieval/resolution between 800S and ADX5K? Thanks.
They are similar. But to my ears, ADX5000 has slightly better resolution/separation.

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #326 of 1,496
Which would you say is more detailed/resolving? 800S or ADX5K?

I would side with the ADX-5X, but not by much. The biggest difference, IMO, is the fuller sound of the ADX5k but smaller soundstage.

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #327 of 1,496
Mine is S/N 75. It creaks. Well it’s more like clicking noise coming from the location where the hanger is connected to the housing. Noise comes only on the left side.
The noise was so distracting that I exchanged mine to S/N 307. Now creaking and clicking are gone. I'm very happy with them. Thank you, Tony @ Audio46, for the exchange.

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #328 of 1,496
I also bought an Audio Technica balanced cable (AT-B1XA/3.0). It has Neutrik XLR connecter. Usually, SE and balanced difference is not so big to my ears. However, this time it makes a huge difference. Mid and bass is richer without bloating, and high gets better separated and airier. I don't know what cable material is used, but this is a must have cable for ADX5000 to my ears. Now I understand the reason why several Japanese headphone sites highly praised this cable combination with ADX5000. I highly recommend this cable if you get ADX5000.
IMG_3164.jpg

May 17, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #329 of 1,496
I haven't heard the HD800S but compared to the normal HD800, I'd say the ADX5000 wins by a huge landslide in terms of detail retrieval. However I've only ran the HD800 out of my Gilmore Lite mk2 amplifier so there may be potential elsewhere for that. After using the ADX5000 for some time now, almost everything else just sounds muffled or veiled in the treble region if you will-- this includes my HE1000v1. The sound stage or airiness is obviously less on the ADX5000 but the detail retrieval makes up for it in my opinion without ever fatiguing me. I have auditioned the Sennheiser HE-1 recently and in MY OPINION, the detail retrieval comes pretty close, except the HE-1 is just a way more complete package with what I'd say is almost a perfect neutral response. As always it's better to audition before dropping big money if possible but YMMV as everyone's preference and setup is different.

May 18, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #330 of 1,496
comments that were here (as well as the three posts that followed this one) were removed by me in order to make room for a more concise, focused, and edited summary of my impressions of the ADX-5000.

anyone who may be checking-in on this thread doesn't want to read a novel. they want to-the-point listening impressions. so, here goes.

further listening will lead to a more fully fleshed-out overall opinion. I will hopefully get the chance to listen to these phones through a good tube amp and also with different equipment serving as a source.

right now I can say that these headphones sound as if they were voiced and tuned by either an upright bassist, or a cellist (as this is the area where these headphones reveal very convincing tone and timbre).

cymbal overtones, however (meaning the sustain quality that you would hear if you were to hit a ride cymbal with the tip of a drumstick in the middle part of the cymbal just once. it's the sound that lingers in the air from that cymbal after the initial hit). those overtones of the sound of various ride cymbals is what I was hoping to hear more of in a headphone at this price. however, with various recordings of a jazz tune with the ride cymbal keeping the tempo, you mostly only hear the "tic tic, tic" of the stick hitting the cymbal, and nothing else, in most cases. (at times, depending on the recording that you're listening to, you do hear a bit more of the cymbal overtones). but, not usually.

these headphones seem to do better at revealing fine detail in the lower frequencies, but I feel it's lacking in the same level of detail in the upper frequencies.

i'm trying to keep in mind however, that these headphones may be capable of more of this type of resolution as my source and amplifier components are switched-out. (i'm doubtful. i'm just allowing for the possibility).

overall sound quality of a grand piano in a jazz trio is very good, but not great, considering the price of these headphones. the overall sound quality of this particular instrument through this headphone is a little less than what I was expecting, to tell you the truth.

i'd grade these headphones as a solid B. they're good in a lot of ways, but they don't get the "A."

(they're good as far as they go, put it that way). what they do, they do right.

I just wish they could do a bit more. they should be more revealing and more detailed in certain areas of the upper frequencies, at this price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back