2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
May 25, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #346 of 1,496
The ADX5000 can’t touch the 800S. It’s treble is almost as piercing as the original 800. I owned them for 2 days and they were very bright. In addition they cost a lot more and there is no comparison on soundstage. In terms of soundstage, they’re not even in the same league. I don’t know why you’re hating on the 800S, but that headphone is absolutely fantastic and not overrated in the slightest.
I'm not slagging the HD 800s I just think it was a pathetic attempt of improving their product, they tuned it slightly differently how hard is that?Whether you like the sound of the focal or not, they turned the headphone game upside down

May 25, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #347 of 1,496
To be fair, is anything in the same league as The HD800/HD800S on soundstage? Some people also call it unnaturally wide so there is some preference there. I love the massive soundstage but apparently not enough to never sell my HD800S.

What you say about the ADX5000 treble being piercing does worry me slightly, but it’s also been years since I’ve owned the HD800. Maybe I wouldn’t find is as bad these days. I hope it doesn’t sound as thin as the HD800 at least.

The upper mids are the one downside of the HD800 and HD800S to me. The HD800S remains one of my favorites regardless.
Check all the reviews the audio technica slaughters sennheiser hd 800 and 800 s so I would take what some ppl say in here with a pinch of salt.Ppl bang on about graphs in here but let's see the results of the hearing tests of the members?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 25, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #348 of 1,496
To be fair, is anything in the same league as The HD800/HD800S on soundstage? Some people also call it unnaturally wide so there is some preference there. I love the massive soundstage but apparently not enough to never sell my HD800S.

What you say about the ADX5000 treble being piercing does worry me slightly, but it’s also been years since I’ve owned the HD800. Maybe I wouldn’t find is as bad these days. I hope it doesn’t sound as thin as the HD800 at least.

The upper mids are the one downside of the HD800 and HD800S to me. The HD800S remains one of my favorites regardless.

It’s sharp but in a different way. Instead of a large 6K peak like the 800, which only shows itself at times, the ADX5000 sharpness is less abrasive but ALWAYS present. Even tracks that have never bothered me before, I noticed slight sibilance.

May 25, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #350 of 1,496
It’s sharp but in a different way. Instead of a large 6K peak like the 800, which only shows itself at times, the ADX5000 sharpness is less abrasive but ALWAYS present. Even tracks that have never bothered me before, I noticed slight sibilance.
We’ll see how it goes. If it’s that bothersome they’ll be up for sale in the next week or two.

I also have ways to curb the treble that I didn’t use when I had the HD800 years ago. With these options I may have enjoyed the stock HD800 more.

The NOS filter on the ADI-2 DAC has some roll off as well as built in EQ options. In addition to the ADI-2 DAC I will have the Garage1217 Polaris and Horizon III next week. They both have 3 output impedance options. Depending on how the ADX5000 reacts either the 35 or 120ohm settings could be a little more pleasing than the low output impedance option. Horizon takes tubes so the right tube could help with the treble. The Polaris is solid state and has a few treble roll off options as well as being tuned to have more 2nd order harmonics than the typical solid state.

May 25, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #351 of 1,496
We’ll see how it goes. If it’s that bothersome they’ll be up for sale in the next week or two.

I also have ways to curb the treble that I didn’t use when I had the HD800 years ago. With these options I may have enjoyed the stock HD800 more.

The NOS filter on the ADI-2 DAC has some roll off as well as built in EQ options. In addition to the ADI-2 DAC I will have the Garage1217 Polaris and Horizon III next week. They both have 3 output impedance options. Depending on how the ADX5000 reacts either the 35 or 120ohm settings could be a little more pleasing than the low output impedance option. Horizon takes tubes so the right tube could help with the treble. The Polaris is solid state and has a few treble roll off options as well as being tuned to have more 2nd order harmonics than the typical solid state.
I'll give you 500 dollars including import charges to the UK, by the sound of what everyone is saying its a good deal,bright piercing highs, no bass

Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #352 of 1,496
I'll give you 500 dollars including import charges to the UK, by the sound of what everyone is saying its a good deal,bright piercing highs, no bass

It has good bass. I don’t know who said it didn’t. The bass is very good. It’s also very comfortable. To my ears, it needs more low mids, and just less upper mids and treble. It would be very good after that. But I’d still take the 800S over it, because I love soundstage.

With the impedance of these, I think they were probably designed for a tube amp, which I don’t own. So YMMV.

May 26, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #354 of 1,496
Anyone know were to get compatible A2DC connectors outside of harvesting from a stock cable? I've been looking at A2DC connectors individually and from other cables, but they mostly look incompatible.

I'm sure the stock cable is great. Just asking in case I want to get a cable that's shorter in length and/or with a particular color sleeve.

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #355 of 1,496
Anyone know were to get compatible A2DC connectors outside of harvesting from a stock cable? I've been looking at A2DC connectors individually and from other cables, but they mostly look incompatible.

I'm sure the stock cable is great. Just asking in case I want to get a cable that's shorter in length and/or with a particular color sleeve.

Pretty much nobody makes 4pin xlr cable for A2DC, but
I asked periaptcables if they can make me one. Will let you know. They make decent cables for a fair price.

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #356 of 1,496
Pretty much nobody makes 4pin xlr cable for A2DC, but
I asked periaptcables if they can make me one. Will let you know. They make decent cables for a fair price.
I’m looking for 6.5mm actually. Don’t need balanced. Good luck though. Definitely interested in hearing what they have to say.

May 27, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #358 of 1,496
I've asked them before if they're able to make me a Utopia balanced cable and they said yes, so I see no reason they'll refuse.
Well. I think the issue is finding A2DC connectors that are compatible with the ADX5000. Not just any A2DC connector will fit due to the design. I don’t think it’s really about whether cable makers are willing to or not. They just might not be able to without harvesting the connectors from a stock cable at this time.

May 27, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #359 of 1,496
Well. I think the issue is finding A2DC connectors that are compatible with the ADX5000. Not just any A2DC connector will fit due to the design. I don’t think it’s really about whether cable makers are willing to or not. They just might not be able to without harvesting the connectors from a stock cable at this time.

Wait what? Dont they just use AT A2DC similar to their iem line. I see plenty of those from aftermarket.

May 27, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #360 of 1,496
Wait what? Dont they just use AT A2DC similar to their iem line. I see plenty of those from aftermarket.
Look at the design. It’s not exactly the same because the plugs have to go deeper to make the connection. I don’t know the right words to explain it, but they’re not compatible with just any A2DC connectors due to this. The housing is different even though the A2DC is the same.

E875E664-4869-4976-8618-5EAB340E2F5A.jpeg

E7874389-832D-4871-AF9B-9812ECAC9772.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back