2016 CanJam RMAF Impressions - Denver
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #211 of 240

The original ether had a light delicate signature which has been improved upon with more bass and texture in the new flow version - same very comfortable fit. However at first listen to the new flow at this RMAF, I preferred my HEX. Dan asked me to come back and try the other setup using a better DAC and man, what a difference. Now I am not sure which is better. My guess is that the ether flow can scale higher than the HEX with the right equipment, but the HEX can scale down to an iPhone and make it sound fantastic. The ether flow needs a great system to show its full potential.

Dan said the same thing to me but I did not have a chance to get back by his table.

It was worth it, huge improvement in both bass/texture and sound stage. The ether had more to give than I thought. Now I wonder how much further we can push it with even better setups?

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #213 of 240
Does anyone knows who won what on the  SHaG prizes for CanJam@RMAF 2016? Has this been posted anywhere? 

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #214 of 240
  Does anyone knows who won what on the  SHaG prizes for CanJam@RMAF 2016? Has this been posted anywhere? 

wait a few weeks. will be posted here (probably). 

Oct 15, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #216 of 240
Hmmm, say, did anyone pick up a Stereophile magazine? I didn't see them anywhere.

I grabbed the Innovation and Tech Today magazine with Dr. Michio Kaku on the front. I'm not really sure how that magazine issue tied in with RMAF, but it had a few stories that are tied in with my area of study. XD

Oct 15, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #217 of 240
Companies still print magazines?
popcorn.gif

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #218 of 240
Hmmm, say, did anyone pick up a Stereophile magazine? I didn't see them anywhere.

I grabbed the Innovation and Tech Today magazine with Dr. Michio Kaku on the front. I'm not really sure how that magazine issue tied in with RMAF, but it had a few stories that are tied in with my area of study. XD

I saw them... did not pick one up sense I already subscribe.  They were on the first floor.  One of the best bathroom magazines you can have.

Oct 16, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #219 of 240
Wish I had been able to make it, as planned ...

On DAVE w/o an additional amp ... I think we're in the same ball-park.  While it's native transparency is excellent, it just doesn't have the necessary grunt to make at least three of the four, current, TOTL/EXOTIC cans shine (Abyss, LCD-4, HD800S ... and Utopia).  Invariably I preferred it via an external amp in all cases ... which seriously dulls it's already tenuous value proposition ($13,300, if you don't want the goofy-arsed stand, plus notably upwards of $5K in amplification).

And, if you're a Mac/macOS/OS X user, and a DSD fan, that's further compounded by on-going drop-out issues with playback of 2x or greater DSD files.

I've not posted it to my "Life after Yggdrasil?" thread yet, but I'm discounting Chord's products from my final line-up as they do not seem to be able to deliver their promised capabilities on the OS X/macOS platform.  Love to be proven wrong on that, but it hasn't happened yet, and I'm not personally willing to spend more time twatting around with it.

Still very interested to sample the Holo Audio Spring DAC (L3).  But even that is going to have to play-nice with OS X/mac OS with high-rate DSD to be something I'll consider actually buying.  It might be magic with PCM ... but I'm not paying for PCM + DSD if only PCM works properly (might be fine, no idea, never seen one in the wild ... but certainly not buying one just to find out).

Sorry to hear this Chord issue with DSD dropouts is still unresolved. You refer to OSX issues, has anyone resolved it for Win10?

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #220 of 240
This guy took a video walking around the big top...

​

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #221 of 240
[CanJam impressions]

Could you compare the E-MU Teak and the ZMF Eikon sound in general terms (or as specific as you'd like)? I get that one's twice as expensive (if we assume the new 2.5mm detachable wires E-MU in November is $499, and Eikon preorders at $999), but I'm interested in figuring out wether the difference is worth it. Something I'm "worried" about is the treble seemingly inherent to the Foster-type driver, the E-MU being as mellow as you can get it, still might be too bright/harsh for me - which is why I got excited for a ZMF original bio-cellulose driver that from intitial descriptions and assumptions based on the ZMF sound, might fit better.

So I guess what I'm asking: Are the highs of the Eikon smoother than that of the E-MU, and just how much better is the detail retrieval/lack of distortion overall? Bonus: Did you hear any major differences between Cherry and Padauk wood, or was the environment too busy for that kind of listening?

SHORT: E-MU Teak vs ZMF Eikon, somewhat keeping in mind the 1:2 price ratio.

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #222 of 240
Could you compare the E-MU Teak and the ZMF Eikon sound in general terms (or as specific as you'd like)? I get that one's twice as expensive (if we assume the new 2.5mm detachable wires E-MU in November is $499, and Eikon preorders at $999), but I'm interested in figuring out wether the difference is worth it. Something I'm "worried" about is the treble seemingly inherent to the Foster-type driver, the E-MU being as mellow as you can get it, still might be too bright/harsh for me - which is why I got excited for a ZMF original bio-cellulose driver that from intitial descriptions and assumptions based on the ZMF sound, might fit better.

So I guess what I'm asking: Are the highs of the Eikon smoother than that of the E-MU, and just how much better is the detail retrieval/lack of distortion overall? Bonus: Did you hear any major differences between Cherry and Padauk wood, or was the environment too busy for that kind of listening?

SHORT: E-MU Teak vs ZMF Eikon, somewhat keeping in mind the 1:2 price ratio.

My Teak will rarely make me cringe from a harsh treble, but it's there. I didn't once hear this from the Eikon.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/821782/atticus-and-eikon-the-new-dynamic-driver-headphones-from-zmf/240_30#post_12942728

Read that. Grizz has a ton more listening time on them than I do, in better environ.

I'd say that as a fan of the Teaks, and from my experience with both of the new ZMF headphones, that the Atticus and Eikon are better for my musical preferences than the HD800/S, HE1000, LCD 2, Utopia, Elear, Teak, etc. Considering the price of the aforementioned, i think the Eikon is a steal at the preorder price.

As for a comparison, I could write volumes and still fail to describe it accurately. I'm not practiced at it, and don't aim to be. Generally, the Teak are brighter and have less body to their sound. They also suffer from not good ear pads. They are less heavy and easier to drive though.

The E&A are wonderfully balanced and comfortable, have the best leather ear pads I've ever worn, and the sound of each are two slightly different takes on perfect. (for me, anyway.)

If I hit the lottery, I'm buying them all and I won't be sharing. Sorry.

Oct 19, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #223 of 240

Ok.... Woo Audio WA22 SE.... Did they not have it there for auditioning or.........?? I have not heard a peep out of anyone who attended  RMAF in regards to it. Anyone???? tks

Oct 19, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #224 of 240
Ok.... Woo Audio WA22 SE.... Did they not have it there for auditioning or.........?? I have not heard a peep out of anyone who attended  RMAF in regards to it. Anyone???? tks

I asked the same thing in the Woo Amp thread and got a couple responses:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/428570/woo-audio-amp-owner-unite/38925#post_12947781

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back