2015 vsonic iem lineup VSD2, VSD7, VSD9
Apr 9, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #511 of 1,050
  If anyone is interested in VSD2S impression, here it goes. This is right out of the box and into the ears :

Packaging : 3 pairs of silicone tips, NO FOAM TIPS, 1 pair biflange, ear guides, 1 cable clip, cloth carrying pouch.

The cable looks extremely flimsy (thinner and more flexible than the AN16 as well), I hope it holds up alright. Also, this has a straight audio jack, as opposed to L-shaped on AN-16.

The important bit : "Fun" sound signature, fairly neutral sound (slight-V), less sibilance than the AN-16. Consistently good across highs, mids and lows. Sounds a lot more mature out of the box. The highs are a little sharp right now but as previously mentioned, this should be fixed with a little burn-in time. Soundstage could be better, but overall I like this a lot more than AN16 without respective burn-ins.

This I was expecting just like VSD3S so no long time cooking needed like the GR07s........

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #512 of 1,050

This I was expecting just like VSD3S so no long time cooking needed like the GR07s........

Joe's interpretation was totally different, good to know that its good.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #513 of 1,050
Hi guys just got my vsd2s and an16. Haven't opened the vsd2s (plan on selling it maybe?) but I've been with the an16 for a few hours.

Been using the im70 (i like it a lot) on a dx90 (medium gain) - i think the an16 performs admirably for something in it's price point. I'm bad with the sound stuff but it sounds like a slightly less 'full version' of the im70? But anyway my main concern are the cables- they feel like they're gonna snap anytime! Lol

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #516 of 1,050
About break-in:
This is consistent with what Grado have recommended historically:
"As any mechanical device, the headphones will improve in performance with use. We firmly recommend not allowing the headphones to play continuously for extended periods of time. We strongly suggest letting the headphones break in naturally with normal use."

From Innerfidelity: 
"...If they sound lousy out of the box, but they start sounding a lot better as you listen to them over time, it's your amazingly versatile brain figuring out how to cope with the world.
The miracle is in your head ... not in the headphones."
On the Measurement and Audibility of Headphone Break-in By Tyll Hertsens • Posted: Jan 7, 2012

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #517 of 1,050
And a Shure engineer's opinion:

Shure Here’s something we hear pretty often – that headphones require a ‘burn in period’.  What about it?
Yuri Shulman This is more myth than fact.  Some people make the argument that the driver’s suspension could be a little unsettled when the headphones are brand new.

At Shure we don’t subscribe to that thinking – again, what could be true for some loudspeakers (where there can be a 100-hour or so burn-in period) doesn’t directly apply here.  It’s a matter of perception.  Shure headphones sound the same a year after using them as they did brand new.

http://blog.shure.com/inside-headphones-with-yuri-shulman-shure-engineer/

I don't believe in burn in either. It's your brain adjusting. Even if you let them burn in without listening, you come back expecting them to sound better and your inner confirmation bias does the rest.

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #518 of 1,050
I was skeptical about burn in until I got my JVC FX40s; their sound definitely changed. I personally think it depends on the earphone and what the driver is made of. I used to have a pair of SE215s and don't think they changed in sound while I had them. Just my two cents.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #519 of 1,050
I know I tend to write sour posts (my apologies to all) often but I think it's also a crime leaving a pair of IEMs running for 8 continuous days in order to achieve "optimal performance". Should be a reason why headphones' designers don't recommend it or don't support it.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #520 of 1,050
I know I tend to write sour posts (my apologies to all) often but I think it's also a crime leaving a pair of IEMs running for 8 continuous days in order to achieve "optimal performance". Should be a reason why headphones' designers don't recommend it or don't support it.

I guess I don't burn mine in the convential way then. I just listen to my earphones and if there is a noticeable change over time, I acknowledge. If not, then I don't. But I also believe in modern psychology and acknowledge the possible and probable presence of confirmation bias and " brain burn in" where you just accustomed to the sound. But again I reiterate, I believe that the material of the driver if the earphone in question should be taken into account.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #521 of 1,050
actually, Vsonic themselves recommends burn in up to 100hrs

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #522 of 1,050

There may not be a benefit continuously running a new IEM for several days, but what could the harm be?

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #523 of 1,050

There may not be a benefit continuously running a new IEM for several days, but what could the harm be?

I've heard more than one person end up with a dead or defective pair of headphones after burning them in. :rolleyes:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 9, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #524 of 1,050
unless you have 2 similar iems side by side for a blind test comparison, its hard to judge burn in results.

opened up my vsd2s to test. the size is the middle child of westones um1 and shure 215, bigger than the um but smaller and lighter than the 215s. sounds pretty good out of the box as stated above. presentation wise, if an16/gr07 is a long tube in your ears with little depth, the 2s is more of a circular shape soundstage which is more balanced imho.
The upper mid range is terrible as of now, it seems the vocals were boosted so much that it actually sounds like its floating above the other frequencies and in your, stark departure from the an16 first impressions. For me it means i cant concentrate on the treble at all cause i hear is just that boosted upper mids. Getting a headache just from listening, will let it burn in and hope for the best.
The boosted upper mid range doesnt take away the fact that the whole presentation of the d2s is impressive for the price with wonderful lows and all round separation.     

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #525 of 1,050
I've heard more than one person end up with a dead or defective pair of headphones after burning them in.
rolleyes.gif

hahaha yea, read a few such cases in the forums. How do you burn-in your gear?
For me, i have the usual white/pink noise etc that runs as a single 30min mp3 but includes about 10mins of silence in between iirc. I jjust loop this file on repeat and a day of burn in would result in my iem having at 20mins silence/rest per hour. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back