2015 Denver CO summer meet 6/27
May 3, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #16 of 132
I've considered contacting him. I found his current info. Looking into possible options of people still in the business first, though so far no real bites. Can't blame someone for not wanting to take a look, haha.

May 5, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #17 of 132
if you bring the mpx3 to the meet maybe we can take a look under the hood.
from what I have read, the safety concerns on some of the singlepower amps are:
-- undersized transformers, overheats easily. probably easy to tell by feeling the transformer cover to see how hot it gets.
-- power caps wired in series to get higher voltage rating, without balancing resistors. should be easy to tell once the amp is open.
-- low voltage switch used in high voltage circuit, should be easy to spot. Though I don't think the mpx3 has such switch.
-- components are not secured well. 
with a quick look we should be able to tell if there is something needing immediate attention.

May 5, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #18 of 132
That would actually be incredibly helpful, since I have almost no knowledge in this area. I'll have to see if I can get it open before. Worried it might have some epoxied screws like some units.

Tranformer cover gets warm at best. No voltage switch. I believe this is an earlier model with P2P wiring. Just stock MPX3 without upgrades.

I do notice a slight channel imbalance but am not sure if it's the tubes or not (just using what came with).

May 5, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #20 of 132
I plan to be there with the following:

Deadbeef player on Lubuntu Linux Laptop
Schiit Wyrd
HRT Music Streamer II+ and maybe Matrix X-sabre dac
Lake People G109 S
Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs

Edit:

IEM system

Moto G 2nd gen
Onkyo player
Vsonic VSD1S and whatever new iems I acquire between now and then

May 5, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #21 of 132
I plan to be attending as well.

Equipment (for swapping around) to bring:
macbook pro
custom macmini (maybe)
Wyrd
Uptone Audio USB Regen
split USB cable with battery
iFi micro iDSD  (maybe iCan, maybe iTube, maybe iPower)
GO100
Gungnir (might be for sale before/at the meet)
Lyr 2 (might be for sale before/at the meet)
HE-560 or HE-400i

Note:  not in favor of Westone (only) attending unless an overall plan for additional vendors is considered or planned.
ie.  just one vendor seems to provide "exclusive access" whereas attendees might want either just us Regular Joes attending, or more than 1 vendor of different products/services?

May 5, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #22 of 132
Attendee list updated.

Btw I also just created a Colorado Head-Fiers Group if folks wouldn't mind joining. Would make it a lot easier to "assemble" the local Head-Fiers for the next time a meet comes around, whether I organize it or someone else does.
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/groups/show/39/colorado-head-fiers-group

Note:  not in favor of Westone (only) attending unless an overall plan for additional vendors is considered or planned. ie.  just one vendor seems to provide "exclusive access" whereas attendees might want either just us Regular Joes attending, or more than 1 vendor of different products/services?

The idea behind having only Westone attend (if they can) is because they've attended past meets, and they're local (based in Colorado Springs), but I wasn't really sure how many people actually listened to their IEMs. I'd really prefer to limit the number of MOTs otherwise—ideally, wouldn't have any at all since it's basically MOT central every year at CanJam@RMAF (coming up in October), and a member-oriented meet provides something totally different from the MOT expo of CanJam@RMAF.

May 5, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #23 of 132
Me +1 will be there.

Equipment I will have.

Sennheiser HD 650
Astrotec AX-60
FiiO E12
ALO Audio Rx Mk3 B+
FiiO X5
BTG-Audio's 8 strand SPC Headphone balanced cable

May 5, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #24 of 132

The idea behind having only Westone attend (if they can) is because they've attended past meets, and they're local (based in Colorado Springs), but I wasn't really sure how many people actually listened to their IEMs. I'd really prefer to limit the number of MOTs otherwise—ideally, wouldn't have any at all since it's basically MOT central every year at CanJam@RMAF (coming up in October), and a member-oriented meet provides something totally different from the MOT expo of CanJam@RMAF.

understood.  there's a good number of other "locals" up near Boulder (big and small) who might have interest too?
I too don't want to be swamped by MOT at the meet.  leave that to CanJam.

having heard/owned Westone- it's not a draw for me, nor did I scan many folks bringing IEM gear?
your "polling of the audience" here is appreciated-  if a majority folks want Westone, then yes- bring em in.

my first vote would be: no MOT.
second vote would be: Westone and some other headphone or related company to provide some balance to only IEMs.

May 6, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #25 of 132
Well so far only a handful of people have mentioned Westone (a couple via PM), so it's tentatively likely that there won't be any MOTs at the meet. If that makes anyone a bit disappointed, I'll just say that we don't need MOTs to have a great meet! 
smile.gif

Will give it a couple of weeks before making a final call on MOTs though. Mostly I'm just of the mindset that the folks who want to see MOTs can just attend CanJam@RMAF later in the year.
wink.gif

May 6, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #26 of 132
I don't much care either way, but IEMs are not my favorite, and I have a pair of Westones and like my Shures better so I would probably ignore them anyway. :)  If there are multiple MOTs there that could be interesting to see and hear a wider variety of stuff, but having just one seems kinda odd.

May 6, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #28 of 132
^ acronym for Member of the Trade, which is the title that vendors receive on Head-Fi. I'm using "MOT" to differentiate the vendors that are actually registered on Head-Fi (or at least used to be, like Doug Leavy who used to represent Westone at the meets) versus those who aren't. I'm definitely not interested in having vendors at the meet—or any meet that I organize period—who aren't registered on Head-Fi, to make that clear.

May 7, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #29 of 132
I'll be there. 

Will bring my HD-800 and Alessandro MS-Pro

For source I'll either bring a twisted pear opus DAC with raspberry Pi or a generic cd player, might just bring in a techncis 1200 and a paul hynes phono stage. 

would be cool if westone was there.

oh and my trusty EHHA for amplification, can't forget that :D

May 7, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #30 of 132
Asr,

I'm planning on attending this year and will bring the following headphone equipment:

Ultra Fi DAC41
MHDT Paradisea 3 DAC
MHDT Havana DAC
Darkvoice 336se Headphone Amplifier
Elekit TU-8200DX Headphone/Speaker Amplifier
Hartung Classic OTL Headphone Amplifier
QINPU A-6000 MKII Headphone/Speaker Amplifier (maybe)
Sennheiser HD650 Headphones
Plenty of power/signal/buffer tubes to try out on the Amplifiers/DACs

I'm not sure how much space we'll have in the room, but I'll probably need a least a whole table length if possible.

As far as inviting Westone, I'm always glad to see them and I believe in supporting our local MOTs, but I'm not in the market for IEMs at the momment, so my interest would be very minimal; in the end, either way is okay with me.

Thanks again for taking on the task of organizing this year's meet, we all really appreciate both your time and effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back