2014 Model SMSL SAP-5 Portable Headphone Amplifer Introduction / Impressions
Oct 10, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #182 of 206
i have SoundMAGIC HP100s, they're rated at 32Ohm and 95db at 1khz/mW , so to my understanding they're quite current hungry. how would this amp do with them (or NX1)?
i'm using them straight out from my (old) laptop / LG G2 cellphone, they sound great to my ears (all i had before was Sony mh1 and LG QuadBeat 2 - the HP100s sound better even without external amps/DACs), they can both drive the HP100s louder than i can tolerate, yet i've been reading everywhere that they highly benefit from amping (more clarity, soundstage, tighter bass).
i'm on a tight budget (college student) so i'm looking for budget friendly solutions, any help would be appreciated :)

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #183 of 206
i have SoundMAGIC HP100s, they're rated at 32Ohm and 95db at 1khz/mW , so to my understanding they're quite current hungry. how would this amp do with them (or NX1)?
i'm using them straight out from my (old) laptop / LG G2 cellphone, they sound great to my ears (all i had before was Sony mh1 and LG QuadBeat 2 - the HP100s sound better even without external amps/DACs), they can both drive the HP100s louder than i can tolerate, yet i've been reading everywhere that they highly benefit from amping (more clarity, soundstage, tighter bass).
i'm on a tight budget (college student) so i'm looking for budget friendly solutions, any help would be appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

I think either NX1 or SAP-5 would be decent enough for your requirements.  It's impossible to say which will be better suited as I don't have your headphone. But I can tell you - you won't go wrong with either.

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #184 of 206
I think either NX1 or SAP-5 would be decent enough for your requirements.  It's impossible to say which will be better suited as I don't have your headphone. But I can tell you - you won't go wrong with either.

Thank you for replying :)
They're neutral headphones. According to head fiers, they sound similar (and often compared) to the AKG K550s, in case you have (or auditioned) them. I'm not a basshead, but I'd like a little more punch (mid bass) in my music (mainly metal).
Did that make you lean towards an amp of the 2? (or some other amp in the same price range?)

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #185 of 206
Thank you for replying :)
They're neutral headphones. According to head fiers, they sound similar (and often compared) to the AKG K550s, in case you have (or auditioned) them. I'm not a basshead, but I'd like a little more punch (mid bass) in my music (mainly metal).
Did that make you lean towards an amp of the 2? (or some other amp in the same price range?)

In that case I'd lean towards NX1.

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #187 of 206
H20,

I've been reading about the Topping NX1 and the SMSL SAP-5 for the last couple days. I use an iPod classic with VSonic VC-1000. With these IEMs, is there even a point in getting one of these good amps? If so, how will I benefit other than the increase in volume? I like the sound I get from my VC-1000 a lot.

If you think it would give a beneficial boost, which of those two amps do you think pairs better with the VC-1000? And would it be better to use a Fiio L9 or buy an adapter and use a 3.5 to 3.5 cable (where can I buy one of those adapters for an iPod anyway)?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #188 of 206
H20,

I've been reading about the Topping NX1 and the SMSL SAP-5 for the last couple days. I use an iPod classic with VSonic VC-1000. With these IEMs, is there even a point in getting one of these good amps? If so, how will I benefit other than the increase in volume? I like the sound I get from my VC-1000 a lot.

If you think it would give a beneficial boost, which of those two amps do you think pairs better with the VC-1000? And would it be better to use a Fiio L9 or buy an adapter and use a 3.5 to 3.5 cable (where can I buy one of those adapters for an iPod anyway)?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

If you ever need to summon me use the @ symbol and my username, then I get an email. Otherwise my internet telepathy doesn't tell me your asking a question.

I'm going to be honest, as fun it sounds adding an amp and LOD to your Classic seeming beneficial, your VC1000 really don't need one. I have them in my ears right now. Instead of an amp I would consider upgrading the source to something like Colorfly C3 or FiiO X1.

Of course, If you want to try then SAP-would probably work to your best advantage for VC1000, the other reason I say this is because the best way for you to find out instead of forever wondering is gain the hands on experience yourself.

I would recommend the L9 actually, it's much neater than using an adapter.

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #189 of 206
@H20Fidelity

Ah, considered PM you, but didn't want to bother you that directly. Longtime lurker, but first time posting anything on head-fi.

Yeah, ljokerl told me basically the same thing regarding amps and the VC-1000. It's great to hear you're still using the VC-1000, I love them.

I'm tempted to try out an amp, but maybe I should just save up for DUNU DN-2000...

Thanks for the input!

Feb 7, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #192 of 206
Does this give more bass through the bass switch than the E11K/C&C BK?

Used to have E11 .....the bass switch on SAP-5 imo is badly implemented ....with this feature on ....its like Jacque Costeau underwater ...all muddy and distorted ...but on normal setting .....for me personally ....the bass is impactful enough for me......very capable budget amp ....cheers :p

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #193 of 206
Used to have E11 .....the bass switch on SAP-5 imo is badly implemented ....with this feature on ....its like Jacque Costeau underwater ...all muddy and distorted ...but on normal setting .....for me personally ....the bass is impactful enough for me......very capable budget amp ....cheers
tongue.gif

Thanks, definitely won't go with the SAP-5 then.

May 21, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #194 of 206
I am enjoying the SAP-5 with my AK100 and also on my Mac Mini + ODAC.  I am using a re-cabled Shure E4C and a Westone UM3X.  

Sound is much more detailed on the Mac. However, it sounds leaner than the AK100. The AK100 is warmer and richer. 

Has anyone compared the SAP-5 with the JDS Labs ODAC+02? I am curious since I have never heard an 02.

May 21, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #195 of 206
  I am enjoying the SAP-5 with my AK100 and also on my Mac Mini + ODAC.  I am using a re-cabled Shure E4C and a Westone UM3X.  

Sound is much more detailed on the Mac. However, it sounds leaner than the AK100. The AK100 is warmer and richer. 

Has anyone compared the SAP-5 with the JDS Labs ODAC+02? I am curious since I have never heard an 02.

I've never heard O2 myself as well, but i have Magni 2 uber which should sound very similar, and i can hear improvements over the SAP 5 , the most obvious are on the low frequencies. The SAP5 is a great budget amp to use on the go, but its not in the same league with better amps such as Magni 2 uber (and presumably the O2).

PS keep in mind that its the headphones (IEM's) are what make most of the difference (i don't know anything about yours though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back