2013 SF Bay Area (Changfest?) Meet Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #196 of 225
Quote:

I don't wanna start room wars or anything, but that room was special.  It was way off in the back, all out of sight, and it was all odd and low-key.  One table remained empty throughout the entire meet, so we had plenty of room to eat lunch.  And it held the distinction of only having one tube amp (but like four O2s
blink.gif
).  Only the bravest craziest most bored people went back there.  It was freakin' awesome. 
smile.gif

That back room really was special. One time I was on the way to the bathroom and decided just to pop in and check it out. Strewn about the tables were tons of headphones that I always wanted to hear. Ended up staying for about 20 minutes until I remembered that I had to pee pretty badly. 

Quote:
^Wanted to spend more time with my own table comparison.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Enjoying the Super 7 right now, not sure what I'll do with both amps after having them both in-house for a while...

Super 7 is a <great> amp, especially for those willing to work with the tubes to find preferred tonality & presentation.  (Changing some capacitors pushed it over-the-top for me.)

Could have been quite happy but my chance for a BA came about (as someone else wants to upgrade Eddie Current amps too).

Might be able to let go of the S7 after enough time with the BA.  We'll see! 

LOL -- CEE TEE's mantra the entire weekend was "I'm so happy with my rig, I'm so happy with my rig, I'm so happy with my rig". Not even a week later, he couldn't resist the siren song of the Balancing Act. Looking forward to impressions on the BA vs. your uber-S7. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #197 of 225
^Ha!  I'm still saying it!

But now I can let you borrow my Super 7 so you can compare in the quiet of your own home, Q-Hate.

I want to try having the BA options of both PX4 and 300B tubes. 

(BA was NOT twice as good-sounding as my Super 7.  Does look a lot better though!)

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #198 of 225
Quote:

People wanted to listen to the Edition 8? Man, I had one in my bag all that time...

I'm totally up for a mini-meet though.

If anyone around the bay has a pair of SR007 I can try... that'll be awesome.

There were quite a few 007s in the meet , but no BHSE , which IME brings out the best in those headphones. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #199 of 225
Quote:
There were quite a few 007s in the meet , but no BHSE , which IME brings out the best in those headphones. 

Yea I did get to try them at the meet but it's probably more definitive hearing them at a quieter environment (a mini-meet perhaps?)

I'm still bouncing back and forth at the idea of a T1/HD800 or SR007

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #201 of 225
Quote:
It would have been the only SE-50 at the meet.  Maybe the only SE-50 in several years worth of meets. 
smile.gif

Wait, I know it's kind of beating a dead horse, but you do remember that there were other things done to it right?  BTW, are you recabling yourself, or having someone else do it?

Yeah. I know now that there were other things done to it. So I already have something else in mind, but I guess you'll have to wait until the next meet to see whether it works or not.

And no, I'm not experienced enough to recable the headphone myself. I'm sending the headphone to a trusted craftsman in a foreign country (no, not Japan) so that he can refine it.

Hopefully I'll have something more substantial to show next year. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #202 of 225
Quote:
Quote:

I don't wanna start room wars or anything, but that room was special.  It was way off in the back, all out of sight, and it was all odd and low-key.  One table remained empty throughout the entire meet, so we had plenty of room to eat lunch.  And it held the distinction of only having one tube amp (but like four O2s
blink.gif
).  Only the bravest craziest most bored people went back there.  It was freakin' awesome. 
smile.gif

That back room really was special. One time I was on the way to the bathroom and decided just to pop in and check it out. Strewn about the tables were tons of headphones that I always wanted to hear. Ended up staying for about 20 minutes until I remembered that I had to pee pretty badly.

Darn bladders, the sworn foe of many an extended audition. 
smile.gif

ERRATA:  I just realized that we didn't actually have any tube amps at all.  In fact, aside from a couple Mac Book Airs, I believe that room was all portable stuff.

Quote:
LOL -- CEE TEE's mantra the entire weekend was "I'm so happy with my rig, I'm so happy with my rig, I'm so happy with my rig".

LOL, he even looked really happy!  Actually, IIRC, he looked pretty happy at the LA meet too.  Darn it, I can't tell if he's really, really happy or just normal (i.e. happy) yet.

EDIT:

Quote:
Yeah. I know now that there were other things done to it. So I already have something else in mind, but I guess you'll have to wait until the next meet to see whether it works or not.

Can't wait, though I'm pretty sure you'll post about it long before then. 
wink.gif

Quote:
And no, I'm not experienced enough to recable the headphone myself. I'm sending the headphone to a trusted craftsman in a foreign country (no, not Japan) so that he can refine it.

Brian (from BTG Audio) is local.  Might want to give him a shot?

Quote:
Hopefully I'll have something more substantial to show next year. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aye, me too.  I might try something interesting next year with bringing a whole bunch of IEMs.  The only trick is finding a reasonably affordable supplier of good tips to have as trial freebies for everyone.  My only worry is that it might get pricey depending on what IEMs I bring.  Some require more expensive tips than others in order to sound their best.

Can't wait to do it again everyone! 
smile.gif
  I'm a little far to do the mini meets with any regularity, but count me in for all medium-major meets.

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #203 of 225
Quote:
^Wanted to spend more time with my own table comparison.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Enjoying the Super 7 right now, not sure what I'll do with both amps after having them both in-house for a while...

Super 7 is a <great> amp, especially for those willing to work with the tubes to find preferred tonality & presentation.  (Changing some capacitors pushed it over-the-top for me.)

Could have been quite happy but my chance for a BA came about (as someone else wants to upgrade Eddie Current amps too).

Might be able to let go of the S7 after enough time with the BA.  We'll see! 

Good luck with selling that - my WA6 sat in a box in the closet (except for meets) for nearly two years before I could finally bear to part with it.

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #204 of 225
Feb 26, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #205 of 225
Feb 26, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #206 of 225
Am new to Head-FI and was in Bay area Changfest get together couple of weeks back, my deep respect and appreciation towards the organizers and participants for allowing me to try their cans.I was bit surprised to hate some IEMs/Headphones which i liked in the reviews and the vice versa so guess given a choice it is a good idea to try it out before buying them.

Interested to buy the universal Heir 3.ai or Heir 4.ai which was not in the event, I am in CA Bay Area (Fremont/San Jose/Dublin) so please PM me if you own either of these IEMs and could spare it to me for few mins, will bring my own earbuds and will take only couple of mins of your time. I dont want to waste fuel to go to San diego from Bay area and try them :) Thank you brothers again .

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #207 of 225
Quote:
Can't wait, though I'm pretty sure you'll post about it long before then. 
wink.gif

Brian (from BTG Audio) is local.  Might want to give him a shot?

Aye, me too.  I might try something interesting next year with bringing a whole bunch of IEMs.  The only trick is finding a reasonably affordable supplier of good tips to have as trial freebies for everyone.  My only worry is that it might get pricey depending on what IEMs I bring.  Some require more expensive tips than others in order to sound their best.

I'll post about it if it gets even better than it is right now. I know silver has amazing "cleaning ability".

Or maybe I'll just photos... because shiny ear cups + silver cable would probably catch some eyes.

To be honest, though, I don't like the shiny ear cups... so let's see if I can't remedy that...

I already have a trusted craftsman on the recabling job. If for nothing else, I like the tonality of his cables. But I'll keep Brian in mind. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hmm... now that you mention it, I didn't try any IEM this year. Maybe I should.

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #209 of 225
Quote:

I'll post about it if it gets even better than it is right now. I know silver has amazing "cleaning ability".

Or maybe I'll just photos... because shiny ear cups + silver cable would probably catch some eyes.

To be honest, though, I don't like the shiny ear cups... so let's see if I can't remedy that...

I already have a trusted craftsman on the recabling job. If for nothing else, I like the tonality of his cables. But I'll keep Brian in mind. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hmm... now that you mention it, I didn't try any IEM this year. Maybe I should.

why didn't you go with the wood series?

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #210 of 225
There wasn't a wooden version of the ES10 by the time I purchased it.

Now that there is one (the ESW11LTD), I still don't feel I should go out of my way to replace the ES10, given that the ESW11LTD is just warmer. There was one ESW11LTD at this meet, by the way. I couldn't capture it on photo because my camera ran out of battery...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back