2013 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Exchange
Nov 18, 2013 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 163

Asr

Headphoneus Supremus
12/19 update: the "Whadjaget?" thread is here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/694273/head-fi-2013-christmas-gift-exchange-whadjaget-thread

12/7 Update: Below are the exchange pairings! To find your username quickly, I recommend using your Web browser's "Find" function.

If anyone has an unresponsive partner (i.e., a non-response within 3 days), let me know in this thread (please don't send a PM).

Set 1 - USA only (For all USA Head-Fiers who requested USA-only shipping)
AHorseNamedJeff <> wolfetan44
barleyguy <> theThirty3rd
Claritas <> jackthomas
doctorjazz <> jbarr1989
drbluenewmexico <> leesure
DutchGFX <> miceblue
lord_tris <> SoulSyde
Magdumper <> sregor
mhamel <> walfredo
jonbmet <> SoundFreaq

Set 2 - Canada only:
luckyseventh <> juggos

Set 3 - USA/International (Also includes USA Head-Fiers open to international shipping)
AManAnd88Keys <> santacruise
angelsblood <> dc-k
Armaegis <> Marximus
arnaud <> kepler28nm
BaasTurbo <> rebRAW
bearFNF <> UnityIsPower
BIG POPPA <> myaman
Brooko <> Tasmik
customcoco <> metalsonata
DaveUpton <> SmittyHalibut
Donovan808 <> coachenzo
Emongaa <> starfly
fatcat28037 <> Zashoomin
garcsa <> werti
HideousPride <> onefatsurfer
jageur272 <> Tom Yum Goong
jeycam <> piotrus-g
Man7rah <> OneSec
ostewart <> kryten123
skech01 <> Vortaku
Soundsgoodtome <> mrlawrence74
tuahogary <> reihead
Verd <> DanTGG

For those new to the Head-Fi Gift Exchange, this has been an annual tradition originally started by Zanth the moderator years ago. And to keep in tradition, there's only one rule. In the immortal words of Zanth:

If you agree to sign up, you are agreeing to SEND YOUR EXCHANGE PARTNER A GIFT BY CHRISTMAS!

To sign up, just leave a post in this thread saying that you're in, plus shipping preference if applicable.

Here's the fine print:

Sign-up cut-off is 12/6 (December 6th), 11:59 PM MDT. This cut-off date is to allow enough time for communication via PM between partners, then for shipping by USPS to both USA & international destinations, if applicable (see Shipping Deadlines here: https://www.usps.com/holiday/welcome.htm). Partners will be assigned here, in this post #1, shortly after the cut-off — so keep your eyes peeled here!

I'll follow Zanth's rule on shipping: "I'll try to pair folks up on the same continent or better yet country if specified. Otherwise, I'm going to assume folks won't care who their partner is or where they are from."

What's considered a gift? In past years, this has usually been music — on CD or LP. Or it can be anything else you & your exchange partner would rather do (which can be discussed over PM), as long as it's "software" and not hardware like headphones or other gear. Music is preferred since Head-Fi is sort of a music-related site, but if you & your partner would rather exchange movies (on Blu-Ray or DVD) or some other type of low-cost item, feel free.

Please don't be a cheapskate. By agreeing to participate, you agree to BUY at least one NEW CD or LP for your exchange partner. No pirated material or used items! Rare, out-of-print, or collectible items are ok though. If you can't see yourself spending at least ~$10-$15 (USD) on a music gift for another Head-Fier, please don't sign up.

Finally, a reminder of why we do the Holiday Gift Exchange: As the sayings go, "'tis better to give than receive", and "it's the thought that counts".
smile.gif

Web sites like Amazon.com should make this process easy for most people — just order the item on Amazon and have them ship directly to your partner. No need to ship yourself unless some other item is being exchanged, or you have to ship yourself for some other reason.

Note to US residents: Amazon's other domains (.ca, .co.uk, etc) can be used for shipping to other countries. Here's a list of Amazon's international sites: https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=487250

Any further questions about details should be worked out with your exchange partner over PM, when those are assigned later right after the cut-off. For example, questions like "Do I gift music that I like or the other person likes? And which format should I get it in?" should be asked directly to your partner by PM. I recommend trying to get something you think your partner will like.

Side-note: I'm not participating in this myself for personal reasons, I'm just here to organize it for everyone else.
redface.gif

Other Web sites that sell music: elusivedisc.com (audiophile), ttvjaudio.com (vinyl)

in post #59
Just to backtrack a sec before we go down the wrong path... everyone please remember that these are gifts, not "stuff I don't want". We have sell/trade forums for that.

I'd also like to reiterate: please don't sign up if you're unwilling to spend the nominal cost for a CD or equivalent. The spirit of the Holiday Exchange should ideally be in fun to get something for someone else, not trying to get rid of your unwanted items.

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #2 of 163
I'm in.

I can ship to any country Amazon ships to.

Currently in Saudi Arabia but wouldn't mind receiving my music as an Amazon MP3 gift. I know international shipping can be somewhat expensive 
smile.gif

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 163
Had been looking for this thread recently.  Thanks Steve!  Please sign me up - it's always been a great tradition - and I've been introduced to some wonderful artists over the last couple of years.

World-wide is fine :)

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #6 of 163
My partner last year was great and introduced me to music I've never listened to. Would be happy to participate again this year as well.

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 163
Sign me up as well. I can also ship to anywhere Amazon ships to. I myself am from the Netherlands (Europe).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back