2013 best heaphone (Under 300) for music.
Aug 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #46 of 71
Cool, I got an Asgard 1 for $140 on ebay and I think the Mad Dogs might be my next buy...we'll see though. That will probably only happen if I get tired of the HD650.

Quote:
Yes it would be, the Matrix M Stage is another good one, but sadly the Asgard pushes about 2x as much power as the Matrix M Stage [no fair Schiit did their home work xD] Still I paid $215 for my Matrix and you know what, it can still push about 100mw into a 600 ohm load, which is a touch louder than I even need to listen to honestly.

That being said, the Asgard shoves a freaking WATT into 60ohms [1000mW] so for the Mad Dog is should do wonders, that said seeing as both are about the same price... it really comes down to sonic prefrance. The Matrix is know to pair REALLY well with the Mad Dog [sadly I got my matrix after my Mad Dog was returned :frowning2:

Still I would say yes the Asgard 2 would be a good match for it, at least technically. 

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #47 of 71
It all depends on you.
I would browse head-fi forums for following HPHNS and read the discusions about these cans.

My recomendations.

Great unamped but amping doesn't hurt

KEF M500 (on ear but very much worth considdering )

Sennheiser Momentum

V-moda M100 ( a coloured sound but..... a VERY fun sounding headphone IMO )

Amped

Mr Speakers MadDogs

AKG K702 (OPEN, If you dont mind, less for outdoor IMO =])

Fischer Audio FA-003Ti

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #48 of 71
Quote:
It all depends on you.
I would browse head-fi forums for following HPHNS and read the discusions about these cans.

My recomendations.

Great unamped but amping doesn't hurt

KEF M500 (on ear but very much worth considdering )

Sennheiser Momentum

V-moda M100 ( a coloured sound but..... a VERY fun sounding headphone IMO )

Amped

Mr Speakers MadDogs

AKG K702 (OPEN, If you dont mind, less for outdoor IMO =])

Fischer Audio FA-003Ti

Ugh I'm sick of hearing about the KEF500

I'd also recommend if we are throwing open cans into the mix. the Beyer Dt 880 and Dt 990, the 32 ohm variants need no amping and the sound great. The dt 990 has a nice mid bass hump, Like the m100's bass with the K702 resulution 

How ever the Dt 990 has very delicate mids! I enjoy them, others might not 

Aug 24, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #49 of 71
Quote:
Ugh I'm sick of hearing about the KEF500

You probably are sick of hearing about ....  any serious reasons or just personal? Do you or did you own one?

Sorry for taking the freedom to ask you this MsHenay,

the only reason that I do react to your comment is that people reading this thread might think that The KEF M500 might be a badly designed or bad sounding headphone. Could you help us out here?, and back up your words why it is that the M500 makes you sick.

Aug 24, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #50 of 71
Quote:

You probably are sick of hearing about ....  any serious reasons or just personal? Do you or did you own one?

Sorry for taking the freedom to ask you this MsHenay,

the only reason that I do react to your comment is that people reading this thread might think that The KEF M500 might be a badly designed or bad sounding headphone. Could you help us out here?, and back up your words why it is that the M500 makes you sick.

Great question, the only people who invade EVERY thread and recommend the Kef 500 with NO reserves are new members, who are I'm sure excited by how good they sound. I have not owned one but it's just the NEWEST hype can. Yes it seems like a great can! But it will be a few months till the hype dies dwn and people start to view it again'st other established cans. Right now the Kef500 is about the MOST recommened can I see

It makes me sick because when the Mad Dogs where new they had the SAME hype. NO one mentioned that the Mad Dog REALLY needs a powerful Solid State to sound it's best, NO one mentioned how THICK the Ortho sound was, those Ortho mids are pretty heavy when they run through a tube. No one mentioned how DARK of a can they are, does ANY of that make it a bad can. Not at all, the Mad dog is a GREAT headphone, but it's not something to be recommended without knowing the pros and the cons, a lot of new people STILL recommend the Mad Dogs to other new members, and ofc the older established community... goes again'st this because AGAIN the Mad Dogs are GREAT headphones, but they are not beginner friendly. They are more for people who've already spent $400, $500 in amps and sources, and they actually sound good out of $50 Vintage recivers.

But that cheap combo of Vintage Stero and Mad Dog did NOT come to surface for a good 3-4 months, that being said. Right now the Kef500 is ALL hype. There are very few people who are viewing it without the HYPE bias, and I hate when I see it recommended so freely, because I do not want some one elese spending $300 only to be disappointed because of some un mentioned quality of the Kef 500.

It's not a bad cam but EVERY headphone is a mix of Pro's and cons. For every good there is a not so good, and as senior members here. It's our job to help new members WEIGHT those positives and negatives to help them find what's right for them. The K550 is an AMAZING sounding can... BUT the fit can be fickle. That one LITTLE detail makes a big differance in how it sounds 

That being said, EVERY time I hear the Kef500 is it ALL good things, very few people mention what flaws it has, very few mention the Cons. Instead I only read about the PROS, and I hate that for new members, because it's easy to get SUCK into the band wagon AND then let down by it. As I was.

The Mr.Speakers Mad Dogs are GREAT headphones, but they really need a lot power to live up to their expectations, with that power [or sufficent amps] they sound AMAZING, and I'm sure the Kef 500 has some LITTLE detail about it that can make or break it for some one, when that detail is mentioned just as much as the Headphone it self is, then it becomes a realistic option, as each buyer decides which mix of good and bad he wants. And EVERY headphone is a mix of good and bad, even the BEST headphones have a flaw [in that they cost like $5000 xD]

So again, I've not heard the Kef 500 but I've seen where the Hype train that it's on ends up... and it ends up with some poor guy out of $300 freaking out about the money he just wasted lol

The Kef 500 are well designed, and have a good sound, that is established. but I recommend new buyers with a more restircted budget stick to the better know headphones. Risks are good things to take, when you can afford to take them! If you can't afford to take the risk, then stick with the old classics till you save up a little ;3  

Aug 24, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #51 of 71
Buying an Asgard to use with Mad Dogs is overkill in my opinion. I like using a headphone and an amp to their potential and an Asgard can drive a much higher end headphone then the Mad Dogs... I don't know if that makes sense but the Mad Dogs can plateau with a cheaper amp.

Anyways I agree with the A900X audio technicas in this range. I think they are a great headphone. The problem is with the comfort, they are either a hit or a miss, and if they are a miss they are almost unwearable. The A900X is a very versatile headphone, it's a solid choice with many genres.

The Mad Dogs are also a good choice, so are the AKG's being discussed.

Aug 24, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #52 of 71
Quote:
Buying an Asgard to use with Mad Dogs is overkill in my opinion. I like using a headphone and an amp to their potential and an Asgard can drive a much higher end headphone then the Mad Dogs... I don't know if that makes sense but the Mad Dogs can plateau with a cheaper amp.

Anyways I agree with the A900X audio technicas in this range. I think they are a great headphone. The problem is with the comfort, they are either a hit or a miss, and if they are a miss they are almost unwearable. The A900X is a very versatile headphone, it's a solid choice with many genres.

The Mad Dogs are also a good choice, so are the AKG's being discussed.

Yea they can, they plateau pretty early into the price range do they not, but non the less for $179 bucks or so. You have a nice solid state. I paid a smidge more for my Matrix M Stage, which is not even as powerful and I love it. And the Akg and Ath A900x have comfort and Fit issues, but I bought both of them and sold the Ath in about a week here on head fi, so if you can get one or the other at a nice price, you can easily get your money back if you sell them at a slightly reduced price.

In fact I just sold my Ath a900x to a new member, so I am excited about him getting them :D 

Aug 24, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #54 of 71
Quote:
We might be going too far here...the guy says he likes the Bose sound, but some are recommending things like AKGs and Beyers...something's amiss here.

He would probably really enjoy something like the TMA-1 or COP.

Let's get him a BEYER COP, and hope he converts! 

Aug 24, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #55 of 71
- Msheney

Honestly, I do understand your motivation for reacting in the way you did.
As do I understand your reservations towards " enthusiastic and invasive behaving new members ".

Yes I am fairly new to the forum and I do have my own opinion, Isn't that allowed on Head Fi? :)

Never have I been a 'hype' follower unless the hype is based on undeniable value.

- (i.e. the response curve x sound of the M500 (and that at the requested 300$)

Besides that, did you really think of my first post in this thread as invasive?
Please reread how I formulated my first post in this thread and what part was invasive or displays unproffesional pretention.

Be carefull with pushing people, specialy new people into boxes and then labeling them to your liking.

Aug 24, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #56 of 71
Quote:
- Msheney

Honestly, I do understand your motivation for reacting in the way you did.
As do I understand your reservations towards " enthusiastic and invasive behaving new members ".

Yes I am fairly new to the forum and I do have my own opinion, Isn't that allowed on Head Fi? :)

Never have I been a 'hype' follower unless the hype is based on undeniable value.

- (i.e. the response curve x sound of the M500 (and that at the requested 300$)

Besides that, did you really think of my first post in this thread as invasive?
Please reread how I formulated my first post in this thread and what part was invasive or displays unproffesional pretention.

Be carefull with pushing people, specialy new people into boxes and then labeling them to your liking.

Now I never mentioned you sir ;3, your response while typical of the group was... defined with a sense of maturity and logic. I appreciate your input and only WISH more new members would think as you have, so the frustration is with YOU BEING THE EXCEPTION lol, still it was not invasive at all... rather it is a prelude to what could be a storm of foolishness... yet I think  you'll be more than capable of preventing such an uprising!

Don't mind me, I work third shifts so by this time on my days off I get cranky! Non the less, I respect you for calling me out without insulting me, and defending your self without insulting me. Forgive me if I insulted you...

that said, I too want to try the Kef M500 and like it! 

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #57 of 71
So who here is looking for quiet and lifeless? 
size]
 Point is that you really don't want 1/2 the potential of this hp when you can have all of it. It's an ortho and needs power. Minimum is an A2 IMO. 

Aug 25, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #60 of 71
Quote:
AT a900x
AT ad900x
Sony ma900

Some of the most incredible headphones on the market right now, and they're going for incredible prices.

I've owned the ATH-AD900, but not the "x" model.  I remember that it had quite a nice level of detail and a great sound stage.  I've read some reviews that have indicated the newer "x" model has a bit more bass.  Yet, I've also read where some people have preferred the previous version before the newer "x" model.

I just wish I could have kept all 25 of the last headphones I've owned.  I would love to be able to pull them out again and see if my perspective of them changed in any way.  However, I do think all too often, people tend to post recommendations based on the headphones that they own.  Personally, I think it's probably better to list out a few choices that would fit the bill.  Often, you'll see posts by Malveux and he'll do just that -- provide two or three options in his response and describe some of the general differences between each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back